‘California Son’ is Morrissey’s best album since ‘You Are the Quarry’

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
Agreed!
It's so nice to hear positive responses for once, too!

I've only listened through once, but, I was really looking forward to listening to When you close your eyes because I love the original - but I was also expecting a straight cover, the production and the style is just fantastic, It's wonderful.

Torrent?

It's in the download section where it's been for 5 hours.
Appeared on a couple of share sites and a torrent one. Has It Leaked hasn't caught up with that fact yet.
Really enjoying it.
Regards,
FWD.

Oh dear, I haven´t had such fun listening to a new M record in a while! I might even shagged around a bit while listening. Is it too early to get excited for what is coming next??? To me he seems to be in the prime of his life - finally!

Wasn't hoping much for this but wow sounds great...plus two great original tracks in BOMB and ITYWD....just maybe we have another orignal classic!!

"‘California Son’ is Morrissey’s best album since ‘You Are the Quarry’"

Absolute nonsense.

It's an album of cover versions.

Yes indeed! It truly is a remarkable album! My rating of each song is as follows:

1. Morning Starship 10/10 - Fantastic cover! Great opener, very strong vocals
2. Don't Interrupt the Sorrow 9/10 - Very true to the original and every bit as beautiful
3. Only a Pawn in Their Game 8/10 - Interesting rendition... Love the classic military-esque thumping that follows throughout
4. Suffer the Little Children 8.5/10 - Great instrumentation on this one and good usage of isolated vocals... "Did you think he was a boogeyman?"
5. Days of Decision 10/10 - Such a hopeful atmosphere with a great vocal delivery! Love his phrasing and especially his little hum mid-way through
6. It's Over 10/10 - Powerful vocals are the track's lead... from both Moz and LP
7. Wedding Bell Blues 10/10 - So catchy and so much fun, love the falsetto outro
8. Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets 10/10 - Very true to the original, Moz's vocal is dream-like and high notes are very complimentary
9. Lady Willpower 8/10 - Busting and catchy! Least favourite song on the album, but still full of lively energy and flamboyant instrumentation
10. When You Close Your Eyes 8/10 - A very beautiful meditation with an instrumental outro that will drag you away into a dream
11. Lenny's Tune 10/10 - A lovely little surprise! Love the grainy production and eerie atmosphere! Very sad and emotional, reminds me of 'Asleep'
12. Some Say I Got Devil 9.5/10 - Fantastic finale with a very unique musical rendition... Very strategically chosen last words, "I know I'm not in danger"

Given these marks, how would you rate a song such as, say, "Now My Heart if Full"? 2750/10?

Yes indeed! It truly is a remarkable album! My rating of each song is as follows:

1. Morning Starship 10/10 - Fantastic cover! Great opener, very strong vocals
2. Don't Interrupt the Sorrow 9/10 - Very true to the original and every bit as beautiful
3. Only a Pawn in Their Game 8/10 - Interesting rendition... Love the classic military-esque thumping that follows throughout
4. Suffer the Little Children 8.5/10 - Great instrumentation on this one and good usage of isolated vocals... "Did you think he was a boogeyman?"
5. Days of Decision 10/10 - Such a hopeful atmosphere with a great vocal delivery! Love his phrasing and especially his little hum mid-way through
6. It's Over 10/10 - Powerful vocals are the track's lead... from both Moz and LP
7. Wedding Bell Blues 10/10 - So catchy and so much fun, love the falsetto outro
8. Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets 10/10 - Very true to the original, Moz's vocal is dream-like and high notes are very complimentary
9. Lady Willpower 8/10 - Busting and catchy! Least favourite song on the album, but still full of lively energy and flamboyant instrumentation
10. When You Close Your Eyes 8/10 - A very beautiful meditation with an instrumental outro that will drag you away into a dream
11. Lenny's Tune 10/10 - A lovely little surprise! Love the grainy production and eerie atmosphere! Very sad and emotional, reminds me of 'Asleep'
12. Some Say I Got Devil 9.5/10 - Fantastic finale with a very unique musical rendition... Very strategically chosen last words, "I know I'm not in danger"
How did you get your hands on it early?

Given these marks, how would you rate a song such as, say, "Now My Heart if Full"? 2750/10?
As you can tell, I have very easy criteria for a Morrissey song! And I'm also just rather excited, so that could play a part in the inflation of my marking scheme :)

It is a very fine album.

I have to give credit to Morrissey not only for the vocals, but also for the song selections. Not just their quality, but how well they fit together. It reminds me in some ways of how he has put together some other albums with care taken to get the right opening and closing tracks while the hits (from long ago) are placed in the middle.

It is impossible to make direct comparisons with other albums, but it succeeds on its own terms which is all you can ask for.

Last edited:
I quite enjoyed this album. Not everything is a winner, but for the most part the vocals are very well-done and I agree with the general opinion that song selection is super :guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:, though might have preferred one or two more "upbeat-ish" ones in the mix.

I am glad the guest vocalists have a minimal contribution for the most part because I don't give a shit about majority of them. But I can rest easy now knowing that I can listen to Moz plead for Mr Green Day to marry him whenever I want.

Shame the album artwork is terrible but we can't have too many nice things now, can we? Guess i can smooch his pretty old-man face easier this way since it's so up-close.

I would like to know how the same man produced “Suffer The Little Children” and “All The Young People Must Fall In Love”, yet made the latter sound as lively as retirement home ballroom dancing?

Back
Top Bottom