Article: "Divided Britain: What Morrissey's stance on the Falklands tells us about national unity" b

Not really unexpected I guess, considering the usual bandwagon jumping by the tabloids in Britain, but this is in today's Mirror. :mad:

mirror.jpg

Link to online version posted by MORRIZSEY (original post):

Divided Britain: What Morrissey's stance on the Falklands tells us about national unity - by Tony Parsons, The Mirror

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "Divided Britain: What Morrissey's stance on the Falklands tells us abou

I think the apply at the rear cartoon is homophobic... any one else?

So pop stars are not allowed an opinion eh Parsons.

You're not reading "too much" into it. You've misread it altogether. Why would "For all opinions... please apply at rear" have anything to do with homophobia? I don't get it and apparently I'm not the only one. Moz is talking out of his arse which he loves to do on occasion.

Why not free your / our minds from the labels this insane so-called, "society", forces into our lives, through many various tactics. "Owning up", as you say, to ones sexuality is actually no ones business.

Morrissey helped give the impression he has something to hide by being so evasive on the matter.

See, sexual labels are all just trash to keep us devided and promote a non- issue, a distraction to occupy the feeble minded and genetically deficient. Now that the sky and moon and all else are gay, gay is no longer cool. It's just a label.

No, the labels are there to differentiate between sexual preferences. I agree, they can divide people, though. A person can refuse to say what her sexual preference is, but we all know there are three choices to choose from (excluding asexuality). I believe everybody gets to a point when they essentially know which box to tick.

Next time Moz walks onstage I expect him and the band to have cleanly shaved heads and clapping the heads with their hands shouting "skinhead skinhead".

Urban the swede (Having another wet dream again)

Argentina owns the Falklands, like U. K. owns Northern Ireland? Maybe, let the residents, as in citizens decide. But then again, referring to Native American culture, how can one possibly, " own", the land? How can this be? It seems that to own the land and the sky and sea is ripping off mother nature ! " Nature is a language, can any of us read?" thank you Great Spirit for the land I walk on, the sea that inspires and feeds us and the sky that gives life!

So, a British journalist is accusing a country (Argentina) for ...colonialism!!! Obviously he is either brainwashed by his educational system, or he is a blind nationalist who believes that the only nation entitled to violent occupation of foreign lands is Britain...
Unfortunately this is a worldwide phenomenon. School history is teaching everybody, everywhere in the world, that their country is always right, that it is surrounded by inferior enemies and barbarians, that theirs is the eternal glory of the world.
In the beginning of the 20th century the British Empire was proud to hold 1/4 of the world under its wings. Only an idiot (or a nationalist - who is an idiot anyway) could argue that this huge empire was created peacefully.
I am not British and I am not Argentinian. I am not sure if Argentinians have a valid historical claim over the Falklands (or the Malvinas), but I m not the only one who believes that it is ridiculous for a country to keep under occupation a piece of land which is 7.913 miles away from its capital city...

Morrissey enjoys bringing controversial issues to the fore. Sometimes the things he says are irresponsible and even dangerous for younger generations (the Chinese "subspecies comment, for instance), but sometimes he hits a nail on its head. What he said about the Falklands was brave, knowing that he would be viciously attacked by the nationalistic tabloids back home.

Re: Article: "Divided Britain: What Morrissey's stance on the Falklands tells us abou

Was morrissey born the uk . I am starting to think the man snook in to our royal land in the back of some lorry . Made millions from her then ate a laced fajita and started talking shite ....

So, a British journalist is accusing a country (Argentina) for ...colonialism!!! Obviously he is either brainwashed by his educational system, or he is a blind nationalist who believes that the only nation entitled to violent occupation of foreign lands is Britain...
Unfortunately this is a worldwide phenomenon. School history is teaching everybody, everywhere in the world, that their country is always right, that it is surrounded by inferior enemies and barbarians, that theirs is the eternal glory of the world.
In the beginning of the 20th century the British Empire was proud to hold 1/4 of the world under its wings. Only an idiot (or a nationalist - who is an idiot anyway) could argue that this huge empire was created peacefully.
I am not British and I am not Argentinian. I am not sure if Argentinians have a valid historical claim over the Falklands (or the Malvinas), but I m not the only one who believes that it is ridiculous for a country to keep under occupation a piece of land which is 7.913 miles away from its capital city...

Morrissey enjoys bringing controversial issues to the fore. Sometimes the things he says are irresponsible and even dangerous for younger generations (the Chinese "subspecies comment, for instance), but sometimes he hits a nail on its head. What he said about the Falklands was brave, knowing that he would be viciously attacked by the nationalistic tabloids back home.

No. What would have been "brave" would've been Morrissey standing up in front of an Argentine audience and saying that the Argentine state should acknowledge and respect the Islands' people's right to determine their own national status. That would have taken balls.

Here's a simple question: how can Argentina claim to own the Falklands when the Islands have never belonged to them? To talk about occupation is ridiculous. The jounralist isn't brainwashed, when he means colonialism by Argentina, he is referring to their invasion by force, in 1982. The British Empire did some bad, and good things, but it needs to be put into the context of those previous centuries. In contrast, the Argentines attempt at colonialism was only 30 years ago. Don't ve brainwashed by outspoken pop and movies stars, or aggressive regimes playing victim...

I quite like the idea of a "Viva Las Malvinas" t-shirt...

Dave

Parsons calling the Argentinian's "colonalist bullies" made me squirm all over me sunday lunch. He needs to get his O' level History books out and re-read what this Country did in the name of imperialism. Pathetic.

Parsons calling the Argentinian's "colonalist bullies" made me squirm all over me sunday lunch. He needs to get his O' level History books out and re-read what this Country did in the name of imperialism. Pathetic.

I don't think Parsons was personally guilty of repressing people from other nations; he's a journalist (of sorts). I dare say, if you were to ask him, he'd concede that Britain's historical imperialism necessitated quite a bit of political and economic injustice being imposed on less powerful nations. The difference between British and Argentine imperialism is that the standards we expect of our governments in 2012 are kinda different from the ones that applied in times gone by.

Spare me your platitudes and your crocodile tears about Britain's imperial past. Unpalatable though it is, you wouldn't enjoy the standard of living you do, today, had previous British governments not rode roughshod over the rights other peoples. Enjoy.

Well, yes!!! He's right!!! Malvinas belong to Argentina as Gibraltar belongs to Spain and Nothern Irland to Irland!!!
Gejo

No. What would have been "brave" would've been Morrissey standing up in front of an Argentine audience and saying that the Argentine state should acknowledge and respect the Islands' people's right to determine their own national status. That would have taken balls.

Well said. The article is pretty much spot on, although the dig at Morrissey's solo career was unnecessary and not entirely accurate.

The Japan comparison made perfect sense too. The US and England are both being torn apart slowly by a bunch a screaming special interest groups all wanting their views to dominate national culture and politics. Not working out so well, is it? Japan may have problems, their fractures the causes of natural disaster. The societal fractures in the US & England won't be so easily repaired.

Any comment about international affairs, issued by an artist, must be taken, merely as an opinion. Just an idea. It is not an statement of an government official.
By the way I think Malvinas or Falklands, are really too far from Britain. Just look at the map, who in the hell !! could think Falklands are British or an extention of the Great Britain.
At sight are from Argentina!!!! Allways belong to the young COntinent!!! Viva Argentina!!!! Once again Britain Divided? My God!!! Just an isolated opinion.

Back in the '80s people who listened to bands like the Smiths, or artists like Billy Bragg used to be articulate with social and democratic sensibilities, against Thatcherism, or royalism (which, above all, is sociologically ridiculous and unfair). It surprises me to see today so many British bulldogs supporting the holy "Empire" in this forum. Unfortunately things have dangerously shifted to the right over the years...

Parsons is a two faced smart-ass. Back in the days of The Smiths he used to slag them off, then in the early 90s he suddenly turned lover, writing a huge praise-iece in Vox magazine. Now he's bag to hating again. Its almost like he doesn't sincerely believe a word he says!

Back in the '80s people who listened to bands like the Smiths, or artists like Billy Bragg used to be articulate with social and democratic sensibilities, against Thatcherism, or royalism (which, above all, is sociologically ridiculous and unfair). It surprises me to see today so many British bulldogs supporting the holy "Empire" in this forum. Unfortunately things have dangerously shifted to the right over the years...

Guess what? I have my own opinion. Many devout Morrissey fans agree with him on whatever he says, but that's not they way swing. I am anti-Tory, anti-colonialist, and anti-royalist, but I simply cannot condemn the Falklander Islanders to a country they, understandably, despise.

I meant: 'not the way I swing'!

Guess what? I have my own opinion. Many devout Morrissey fans agree with him on whatever he says, but that's not I way swing. I am anti-Tory, anti-colonialist, and anti-royalist, but I simply cannot condemn the Falklander Islanders to a country they, understandably, despise.

journo's like those are just idiots. out to make a name for themselves, again and again or to try.

national unity here seemed to die during 2006/7, or was it earlier, the time when labour were in govt. but trying to through it all away so very well.

obviously they've never heard any of the new songs or the band play at all. if they were listening to rio do janiero then they would
have wet themselves because they all sound fantastic, just as they did here and there and so on, as you know already. well , some of you know on here but I am not so certain about 'others.'

English Rose
- that's also the name of a song by The Jam for those without music to brighten lives and make the world go by.......

hazard

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom