"Ask" live video used to promote "Rank"

I have never seen this. It might have been on here before, but it is new to me. I didn't know that they made a promo live video to promote the "Rank" album.

Quotes from the information.

"This video of "Ask" (live) was used as promotion for the "Rank" album. The Footage is from the "The Queen Is Dead" tour - while Craig Gannon was with the Smiths".

(Morrissey, On Pop Promos) ..........
~ "I have never liked it... I never like any videos & I just feel that if The Smiths could just slide along,,, or had just slid along without ever touching this world, I would have felt incredibly proud.... But I suppose, to the glazed eye, that hasn't happened..... Something precious has been lost and I don't think it was worth losing it, to be quite honest."

Update Feb. 18, 11 am PT:

winemouth;1986625168 said:
FYI, I uploaded the original video a year ago (the one linked above is just a rehash of it). It comes from a Warners promo VHS (circa '92) containing most of the The Smiths official promo vids. I have the rarely seen promo video for Shoplifters to upload if anyone is interested?

www.youtube.com/winemouth

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch the video....I love it!
More Smiths demos and unofficial videos please :p

My God do they sound awesome. I've always felt "Ask" was one of the major gems in the Smiths catalog, not sure why it doesn't quite seem to get that status amongst most fans.

If you want the original source of that video go to youtube.com/winemouth

it's been around for this promo, I've had it on DVD since about 2000. It's like a lot of stuff that seems to be surfacing after so very long and it's nice to see it all becoming available now.

Ha ha, forgot this footage..poor ol' Andy Rourke looks like he's really sweating it all out there...putty flavoured skin!

Just an FYI: the footage of Moz in white denim / sunglasses is clearly staged, shot for a promo. Not actual concert footage. Probably shot for a proposed "Ask" promo. Good stuff, but staged, not live.

whose agin not seeing the clip

not showing anything

not even a screen to see it on

WTF?:tears:

saw it via DL forum on youtube

more, release a live Smiths DVD

[no way, Morrissey would'n benefit, Joce the most, sounds boring
but it's stil Joyce getting Smiths royalties for a few things, performing too,
darn, I would risk it for a biscuit, just beteer way to se how great
The Smiths live sounded, as you hear on Rank]
:confused:

Just an FYI: the footage of Moz in white denim / sunglasses is clearly staged, shot for a promo. Not actual concert footage. Probably shot for a proposed "Ask" promo. Good stuff, but staged, not live.

Interesting, but still very cool! :cool:

San Remo festival?

The Smiths did it 2 year at the time, this could be the 1986, I believe Morrissey wore there white denim

It's nice to see Craig. I always felt bad for him.

think about Viv Nickolson

' driving around on on a backseat open chevy with Morrissey through Manchester,
....?..what more can someone wants ...? [or somethink like that]

[Southbank, they way she spoke real corrie talk]

for a Dutch guy, as me, couldn't made a talk on the mall in York, that's not
english, well every part has it'sorta talk,tough for a non english spoken country

This was shown on Canada's Muchmusic videochannel in the early 90's on their Muchmusic "Spotlight" programme. Each night at 6pm (if memory serves) they'd feature videos interspersed with interview footage. I've had this on a very, very poorly recorded VHS tape for about 20 years. Didn't realize this would be new for anyone else.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom