Best of by collaborator

See, this is where I think judging things are very tricky. Yes, there are tracks that clearly stand out as great musically, even without the vocal line (eg The More You Ignore Me, First of the Gang, pretty much everything Marr wrote), but in other places, who gets the blame? Morrissey's voice, lyrics and melody frequently transforms pretty standard musical backings into great songs, but sometimes the reverse is true.

Is 'Journalists Who Lie' objectively that much crapper musically than most of Street's compositions - or did Moz just not bring his A-game to that particular song?
Completely agree with you there. The vast majority of songs from the solo years would be fairly uninteresting as instrumentals. And there is the added complication of how much the producers contributed to make certain songs work.

How the heck have Sister, I'm A Poet, Will Never Marry and Disappointed not been rolled out to underline Stephen Street's supremacy?

How the heck have Sister, I'm A Poet, Will Never Marry and Disappointed not been rolled out to underline Stephen Street's supremacy?
For sure. My top ten are
1) hairdresser
2) everyday
3) suedehead
4) will never marry
5) I don’t mind
6) sister poet
7) disappointed
8) ordinary boys
9) playboys
10) interesting drug

I think the band really shines on world peace. That album had some great instrumentation. I also loved things like the girl from...plus a few others from lihs

You're absolutey correct. I for one have now included both Sister and Marry in my list.

Back
Top Bottom