Bloc Party's Kele Okereke: “I’ve never experienced such widespread public racism” - NME

Kele Okereke: “I’ve never experienced such widespread public racism” - NME
Bloc Party’s Kele Okereke opens up about Brexit Britain, Brandon Flowers' comments on Morrissey, the artists failing to fight far right rhetoric, and his ambitious new album '2042'

Excerpt:

“This idea of a multi-cultural Britain, that there is now somehow resistance towards it, is something that I’ve never experienced in my life [until] now,” he continues. “And it’s not just the politicians and the media. It’s the artists too.” With the exception, he says, of artists like Slowthai, Idles and Billy Bragg who are continually questioning and holding discrimination to account, too many are complicit – many more, he says, are even encouraging it.

“I think of the comments that Morrissey recently made and his support for Britain First. It’s clear to me that there is an idea of Britain and Britishness that is supposed to exclude people who are non-white and this idea is becoming more and more prominent.

“As a black musician who was born in the UK and who lives in the UK, I found it very disheartening that none of my peers really came out to publicly counter Morrissey’s recent comments and behaviour. I found that personally quite dispiriting and even worse, the only comments by musicians seemed to be in support of him – like Brandon Flowers.” Ahead of The Killers headline set at Glastonbury, Flowers told NME that Morrissey was “still a king” despite his problematic political views.

“Brandon Flowers is basically saying it doesn’t matter what Morrissey says, he’s still a revered icon,” Okereke tells us. “I think that’s bullshit and I think Brandon Flowers is bullshit. It does matter. It absolutely matters what people say and the fact that no one is willing to challenge him on this to me is quite disgusting. Shame on him and shame on Morrissey.”

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bored with you. Imagine spending your life pretending you hate racism when you're really just bitter that you're having an identity crisis due to the public statements of a pop star you spent far too much of your life on and still can't pry yourself away from.
You sad f***.

Hit the nail right on the head...that is The Total Truth right there.

The Guardian the same. Music news slow, well they could post about Marr’s singles collection? nah, not clickbait worthy enough, how ‘bout Moz? can we dig someone up out of the woodwork
that can talk the same redundant shit about Moz?

Don’t be fooled folks...

It’s all about the money.

Just bored with you. Imagine spending your life pretending you hate racism when you're really just bitter that you're having an identity crisis due to the public statements of a pop star you spent far too much of your life on and still can't pry yourself away from.
You sad f***.

Goddamn. You just squished Skinny between two McNuggets, dipped him in honey mustard and ate him. :openmouth:

Who tf is Kele Okereke?

A black musician who just confirmed that people other than white anglosaxons, or deranged hero-worshippers, do in fact, view Morrissey as a bigot.

Will I be surprised when I receive an onslaught of two hundred troll and dislikes? No. There are tons of people that would justify anything. Staunchly.

A black musician who just confirmed that people other than white anglosaxons, or deranged hero-worshippers, do in fact, view Morrissey as a bigot.

Will I be surprised when I receive an onslaught of two hundred troll and dislikes? No. There are tons of people that would justify anything. Staunchly.

Isn't skinny a bigot?

Definition: a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions

Huh?

You justify being a member of this forum.

Since 1997. Before it was flooded by narrow minded people and those who worship blindly. Before he went mad. Still love the music, but sadly this is a 22 year old routine that I still honour, primarily because of David.

So how new are you?

You’ve been here since 1997. Are here out of routine. Are here for a man that barely posts on the site. Are here for music you have barely talked about in the last 13 years since the forum changed to vbulletin. All this, and you don’t know how to view a profile to tell how long someone has been a member? :sweatsmile:

"This idea of a multi-cultural Britain, that there is now somehow resistance towards it,".........yes, there is. How odd after 50 yrs of being told of what the British people should think or say or do, people have finally said No, we don't want this. We don't want knife crime....we don't want the importation of religions that have nothing in common with us....we don't want rape gangs or seeing people being blown up. How f***ing strange.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom