"Cosmic Dancer" b/w "That's Entertainment" vinyl 7" released today (February 19, 2021)

73E2BCA0-9201-4EE6-BED2-10A7EE68EA21-min.png

First mentioned last August and 3 months after the digital release of Cosmic Dancer, today sees the official release date of the double A-side black vinyl.
This release appears to be very widely available with HMV, Mporium, most Amazons & Indies having good stocks.
Amazon & HMV briefly listed the release date as January 29, both revising it shortly thereafter.
It will more than likely chart quite high on the vinyl singles chart based on previous releases.

There is no matrix message on either side of the record.

F3295296-12F1-4065-A4ED-84477B0B0410.jpg
5DDA0BD0-3A92-42AC-81FB-BE2F21C9584A.jpg

(above pics via @AngelosBarry)

Cosmic Dancer is mis-dated as February 6, 1991 (the Kill Uncle Tour didn't start until the end of April, '91).
The actual date of the gig was June 2, 1991 at The Great Western Forum (the venue's name at the time).
This appears to be an error based on the US/UK dating systems and clearly wasn't checked thoroughly.

PXL_20210215_1044252962~2.jpg

The Morrissey Central assertion re: That's Entertainment:
"...The recording is not the aborted version from 1994..."
may well remain a mystery (or perhaps is as erroneous as the dating of Cosmic Dancer).

Update:

That's Entertainment became available on a variety of digital music hosts/shops some time after midnight UK time.
The track appeared on YouTube thereafter too (with comments turned off):

Regards,
FWD.

Related Items:

Just listened to this and I was surprised at how much I liked it. I do agree that the rawness of the first version really fits with the lyric and gives it an emotional heft that sells it but this one has some nice details. Here it sounds more day dreamyish and it changes the tone to what I imagine when listening

Its ok but prefer this version.

Weller's lyrics on that song are as good as Morrissey's best. His Suburban 100 book of lyrics is like reading modern poetry. Just beautiful. 'Tales From The Riverbank' is one of my favourite songs of all time, alongside The Butterfly Collector and Carnation. Ooh I feel a Jam vinyl binge is due in my house tonight.

Morrissey has made a career of being the outsider. People are making such a big deal about signing some records of other artist that Morrissey likes ("ultimately saying listen to these albums"). It was all just a bit of fun and marketing. The venom that came after was solely about his politics. Again, he does not have meet and greets like all these wankers who criticized him do. That is low, but they are not talented so they have to do that. It's not like he was selling them at Woolworths for goodness sake. It was at a couple of shows. I would have loved to buy one, but the price tag was a bit too high for me. I think they were like $500 or something. I am sure those will be worth more one day!

P.S. Does anyone have one for sale? I would love to buy.
A 'bit of fun' would be Moz selling them for charity. If you like I can sign his name on my Low album for $499. That doesn't include delivery of $99.

Yah but Moz isn't a new artist trying to scrape a few quid together to buy a microphone. He's a multi millionaire worth around $50 million. He's been rich since near the end of The Smiths.

But I do get your point. He wouldn't reform The Smiths just for money, or wouldn't make an album just to be commercial.
Money is the only reason he would reform The Smiths.

Morrissey has made a career of being the outsider. People are making such a big deal about signing some records of other artist that Morrissey likes ("ultimately saying listen to these albums"). It was all just a bit of fun and marketing. The venom that came after was solely about his politics. Again, he does not have meet and greets like all these wankers who criticized him do. That is low, but they are not talented so they have to do that. It's not like he was selling them at Woolworths for goodness sake. It was at a couple of shows. I would have loved to buy one, but the price tag was a bit too high for me. I think they were like $500 or something. I am sure those will be worth more one day!

P.S. Does anyone have one for sale? I would love to buy.
It was utterly crass and tasteless. So much so that it came out the other end and bordered on brilliant. Malcolm McLaren would’ve approved.

Morrissey has had numerous lucrative offers to reform The Smiths over the years, some of which would literally double his wealth overnight.

He has refused all of them.
It’s money in the bank. He’ll do it when it suits.

That aside, my point was more that if it does happen money would be the motivation; I’ve heard he’s not averse to the stuff.

It’s money in the bank. He’ll do it when it suits.
Morrissey has had numerous lucrative offers to reform The Smiths over the years, some of which would literally double his wealth overnight.

He has refused all of them.
I’ve given your supposition some consideration. Obviously, the parameters could vary wildly. But I doubt Morrissey would personally clear 50 million GBP from a Smiths world arena tour. Not even close.

It's not a bad update, but I prefer the sparseness of the original version. Plenty of us who've got the 12" or cd of 'Sing Your Life' from 1991 won't be breaking the piggy bank for this. Thank you for the download anyway.

I can’t even be arsed to listen to this ‘new’ version of That’s Entertainment. I love the original and I also really dig the version that appeared on Sing Your Life. Apropos to whomever posted The Would-Bes as well.

I was hoping the bside would be the opening minute of I'm Not A Man but with less melody and instruments and more clanging of pipes.
Followed up by a double A-side of the last 2 minutes of You Were Good In Your Time remastered in surround sound, and an extended remix of the middle bit of Black-Eyed Susan. Yours for only £24.99!

An odd but welcome release. A collectors item? I'd say so.

Still holding out for that interview...

I don't want him to do an interview till he's sorted his thinking out or hired a decent PR.

It's tortuous watching him fret about animals & injustice knowing he'll use a phrase, make a joke or name check someone that will get him a kicking.

I don't want him to do an interview till he's sorted his thinking out or hired a decent PR.

It's tortuous watching him fret about animals & injustice knowing he'll use a phrase, make a joke or name check someone that will get him a kicking.
You really are clueless and deluded, aren’t you.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom