Der Spiegel audio file of Morrissey interview released

Here you go. The recording of the interview.

Der Audiomitschnitt zum SPIEGEL-Interview mit Morrissey - Spiegel Online
Sänger Morrissey fühlt sich nach einem Interview mit dem SPIEGEL falsch zitiert und will nun nie wieder mit Printmedien sprechen. Hören Sie hier den Mitschnitt des Interviews.

English version:

The Audio of DER SPIEGEL's Interview with Morrissey
British pop singer Morrissey has accused DER SPIEGEL of falsely quoting him in a recently published interview. The magazine stands behind its reporting and has made the decision to post the audio online in response.

On Friday, Nov. 10, DER SPIEGEL culture reporter Juliane Liebert told her editors that she had been offered an interview with British popstar Morrissey and that a decision needed to be made quickly on whether to accept. We agreed: The former lead singer of The Smiths doesn't shy away from speaking his mind - and he also doesn't grant interviews very often.

The following Monday, Liebert flew to Los Angeles, where she was to interview Morrissey on Tuesday. The interview appointment got delayed several times before finally taking place on Wednesday and lasting 40 minutes. Edited versions of interviews published in DER SPIEGEL are usually authorized by the interview subject before publication, consistent with established procedure in German journalism. But in this instance, Morrissey's team elected to forego authorization.

After its publication on Nov. 18 in DER SPIEGEL, the interview (available behind the SPIEGEL Plus paywall in German) generated headlines not only in the German-language media. English publications like the Independent also wrote about Morrissey's statements regarding Trump, Brexit, the #MeToo debate and questions of national identity.

The musician then sought to distance himself from the published interview. "Unless you see the words form in my mouth and then you see or hear the words come out of my mouth... please, if you don't see that, I didn't say them," he told fans at a concert. He said he would never grant an interview to a print journalist again.

On Monday, Morrissey followed up with a post on his official Facebook page casting doubt on whether his statements had been reflected accurately by DER SPIEGEL. He also alleged that the fact that the magazine had not yet posted the raw audio of the interview was tantamount to an indirect admission of guilt.

To counter that claim, the editors of DER SPIEGEL have decided to post the audio of the interview online.

You can listen to the interview conducted with Morrissey in Los Angeles on Nov. 15 here:

Posted by Famous when dead:

Interview mp3 - yours to keep:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/dx1c0j
(the exact file as used on the site).

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark E. is very underrated, especially outside of the UK.
Very interesting character, he and Moz are kindred spirits I always felt.

You people are displaying such outrage as if Morrissey was being accused of gropping or raping someone. It's his opinion, I'm sure you bastards have crazy opinions of your own, stop acting so high and mighty. If this is the straw that broke your camels back and refuse to listen to his music, great! We don't need you. To be fair he does make some good points as far as the victims are concerned, most took a settlement to keep quiet, it's been reported that others would tell their account at parties and close friends, as if were a big joke. Some of these victims didn't act like they were victimized at all

The reporter did a very good job. She developed rapport, which always develops the best information. But more importantly, she gained consent from morrissey when she asked if she could ask about politics. This removes any trickery or bias that he may claim later. He willingly said these things.

Yeah I actually quite liked her way of going about things. There was one moment where you could tell she felt uncomfortable and that was after asking Morrissey if he had ever been in that situation (referring to the groupie/underage sex stuff). I just got the feeling after she felt that was a bit abrupt and it was an off the cuff question. Which is good in one sense, you want a journalist who isn't just going to go in there with a set of questions and not deviate from them - you want them to follow the trail a bit and see where things lead. I just don't think she executed it quite so well. But the "mmhmm" stuff is just an annoying mannerism. If she were doing this not for print there's no way whoever she works for wouldn't pull her up on it.

Or even better an instrumental audio version of the interview with no words.
Or he could hum the words and WE can try and guess what he is saying :p

You people are displaying such outrage as if Morrissey was being accused of gropping or raping someone. It's his opinion, I'm sure you bastards have crazy opinions of your own, stop acting so high and mighty. If this is the straw that broke your camels back and refuse to listen to his music, great! We don't need you. To be fair he does make some good points as far as the victims are concerned, most took a settlement to keep quiet, it's been reported that others would tell their account at parties and close friends, as if were a big joke. Some of these victims didn't act like they were victimized at all

In which case, f*** you, f*** Morrissey, and f*** everyone defending the exploitation by those in positions of power.

I couldn't hear the name she said, so thank you for that. I just googled him. First 'news' article came up -
Mark E Smith of The Fall: ‘Ed Sheeran and Jeremy Corbyn are evil twins :lbf: Sounds like an interesting man!
I also thought it interesting he couldn't say he liked Mark E Smith because he'd not said that he liked Morrissey first, that speaks volumes about Morrissey, strangely enough I bumped into Mark E Smith in the bar at Morrissey's King Georges Hall gig in Blackburn, many years ago, so it's probably safe to assume Mark is a fan.

For me and all the other victims of sexual abuse and molestation - f*** YOU!!!’

No, he just said he didn't say it. Pretty simple stuff. I'm pretty calm here.

Well, at least he has season 2 of The Crown to cuddle up to to help forget about this mess. :D Hang in there Moz. You need some serious grey training if you wanna look at this from the shapeshifter point-of-view. That’s his problem, he mixes too many metaphors and gets in these messes.

Well, The Spiegel called his bluff and released the full thing.

The amount of denial going on in the Morrissey community is depressing. If you don't feel offended and patronised when he lied and said he didn't say those things, then more fool you. If you listened to that interview and heard the words come from his mouth, which clearly defend Kevin Spacey, blame the victim and incorrectly call Berlin the rape capital of Europe because of open borders and the "freeflow" of people, and still defend him then shame on you.

i agree with 98.4% of what was said by him in this interview. i wouldve asked him at the end of the interview what he thinks about the usa most likely being the biggest spanish-speaking country in 2050.

You are all acting as if he cares/ if will effect him/ruin his career/fans won't like him. The same ones who told him to f off all went to his concert. He is human Teflon. It makes you mad doesn't it?

Very bad quality sound. I had to put headphone on and volume to the maximum. About the interview itself. Well, aren't we all free to have our own opinion about things. Sorry Spiegel, but I still like Morrissey. You didn't succeed in your attempt. No with me!

Unfortunately, Morrissey didn't claim that he's entitled to his opinion and stand by what he said - he claimed he didn't say it in the first place. Isn't that the real issue here? Yes, I am still a fan of the music ... but let's at least be honest about what happened here.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom