Fiona Dodwell: "Misunderstanding Morrissey: Sparks and the steady drip, drip, drip of slander" (July 15, 2020)

"One wonders whether the vocal Morrissey detractors have delved much beyond the surface of NME's clickbait headlines and the lefty identity politics of formerly reputable publications like The Guardian."

FWD.

Related item:

I find this terrifying.

Because vast quantities of speech could be judged as harmful. Filled with lies, slander, rage.

From ordinary television commercials to Shakespeare speeches, from Marx to the Koran, from The Guardian to the Daily Express, not to mention all the anger at this forum and five million other internet fora and Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Who is going to judge what is harmful and what is not?

What is their criterion going to be ...

And what ideology will be used for that criterion?

(Or maybe better: RELIGION. Because we all have a religion, really, and I am terrified of this new Poltically Correct one.)
Man's sin nature is the great equalizer, isn't it? In the end, God will be the judge of all of those things. ;)

I have the answer!

Let's lock EVERYBODY up - including, of course, everyone at this forum.:p

Since lockdown won't cut it alone everyone will need to step up in this dystopian PC world of their making. Of course, you would also be required to conform with the rest. :( Any volunteers for the wait list? Nerak?

Again you're imposing a fantasy on him, while ignoring almost everything he's ever said.

He's is very working-class, but he's LGBT, has immigrant parents & his intense interest in animals is niche.
Veganism is growing worldwide. More and more people care about animal rights, their own health and the environment we live in.

This isn't something 'niche' to me. I see it as very important. I believe the way we treat animals and the environment reflects on how we are as human beings. When I read about what goes on in China's wet markets it made me feel physically sick.

What does being working class have to do with the LGBTQ movement? Has Morrissey said directly that he supports the LGBTQ movement?

You talk about Morrissey's parents being working class immigrants from the Republic of Ireland and their Catholic roots. Why does this matter to you so much? I have Irish roots myself so do many British people. Why does it matter to you about class issues and if someone has Irish blood? Morrissey's parents have lived around the Manchester area in Northern England for years. Vegetarianism has been part of Manchester for generations. It's a little-known fact that the modern vegetarian movement was founded in Greater Manchester in 1847! I used to live in Manchester. It has nothing to do with class issues being a vegetarian or a vegan. There is also a gay scene in Manchester. Are you trying to say Morrissey comes from a deprived background? Morrissey's parents are divorced like so many people's parents mine included anyway middle class and upper class people also have divorced parents. Morrissey is wealthy and successful these days and he has the means to care for his family please don't worry.

Wise words, dude, and well said. I've stopped seeing him live since his For Britain support despite there being concerts within 30 minutes of where I live, and me having seen him play countless times since the early 90s. I don't want to be associated with him in public anymore (and that's what happens when you go to a live concert) but I can sheepishly buy his new CDs when no-one's looking.
I disagree about the songwriters though. I (like most reviewers) think these new ones are his best songs for years and years, up there with the early solo stuff.

When you say points Finoa brings up, you ara aware moz sends her a list of points to work into an artical, usually to off set something in the news.?

In this case his old friends Sparks speaking their mind.

It's not even worth going over.
The way she writes you would think moz alone sang about the police etc. It's obviously been done to death by many a rock and hip hope band.
It's also worth saying you cant really mark the current moz as a defender against bullying. He's been a shill for Israel (no moz people aren't jealous of Israel they just don't like seeing kids killed) for years and has backed a number of opressive ideologies

Morrissey has accusations & I don't think they hold up - you say things that are undeniably racist. And pretend you know he's thinking them.
Pot and kettle. You always go around "explaining" moz even though you have no clue about the real deal

I thought you only had to take a pee ?

What took you so long?

the movie is about to start.

Here's David Tseng censoring me for using the work "fag" or "cigarette"

I'm done here.

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 11.44.49 PM.png

Man's sin nature is the great equalizer, isn't it? In the end, God will be the judge of all of those things. ;)

Since lockdown won't cut it alone everyone will need to step up in this dystopian PC world of their making. Of course, you would also be required to conform with the rest. :( Any volunteers for the wait list? Nerak?
Another sky fairy worshipper. The tinfoil is strong, with this one.

Astounding that the site owner would give me an infraction for using the word "fag" yet doesn't bat an eyelash when other posters express their explicitly white supremacist views. You, David Tseng are the Andy Ngo of your own hellsite. I don't blame Morrissey for despising you. I really don't.

Astounding that the site owner would give me an infraction for using the word "fag" yet doesn't bat an eyelash when other posters express their explicitly white supremacist views. You, David Tseng are the Andy Ngo of your own hellsite. I don't blame Morrissey for despising you. I really don't.
I got the same warning for quoting someone else using the word n*****.

Yeah this is bullshit, so yeah I agree.

I like Fiona. You all sound the same, so it's nice to hear a different tune once in a while.

Who is going to judge what is harmful and what is not?

Who’s going to judge if an axe to your head is harmful, it isn't going to hurt me or anybody else, just you. It’s called having common sense and empathy you f***in idiot. You should know when and what words and actions are gonna cause harm. You shouldn’t have to wait till it’s said and done to see the effects.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom