"Frankly, Mr. Shankly" live (Milwaukee Performing Arts Center - 16th Aug, '86) - QID promotion on YT

Via:
http://www.officialsmiths.co.uk/tqid/#

Again, doesn't feature on the deluxe edition:
Recorded live at the Performing Arts Center, Milwaukee on 16th August, 1986.

With a link to the full track on YouTube:

Use the hashtag #FranklyMrShankly (Twitter/Instagram) to be included in the 'memories' section.
Regards,
FWD.

(I hope all 550 Smiths Official subscribers appreciate this track! Why this isn't being shared via Rhino and their Twitter acc is still privated is just beyond daft).

Also on Spotify:

40485_shankly_live.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting for all the carping and complaining over a recording none of us knew even existed in such quality.

there is still tons of stuff,julie Hamill interviewed someone who had a basement full of stuff which he never has the time to sort out,think he was an engineer or producer.vinny reilly said he has a lot of stuff as well.

It's a good performance, yet Morrissey sounds flat...

This is excellent; what is very impressive is the musical accompaniment. Notice how this sounds so much better than his current set of sorry sods plodding away. The only ones who could have done something equally as solid would be Boz, Gary, Alain, and Spencer.

so how much unreleased live stuff is there in the smiths vault?

Yeah, was wondering that myself (about the vault in general not only live stuff) - are there any recorded songs that were never released? I seem to recall a demo or two that never became full songs - anyone know the details?

Last edited:
I love it - it's hard for me to describe since I'm not a singer or musician - but it's Morrissey singing in a way and style that he just doesn't do anymore.

Last edited:
so how much unreleased live stuff is there in the smiths vault?

Grant Showbiz apparently kept around 100 soundboard tapes, although most not complete. Plus there a handful of concerts that were recorded for TV and radio and some that were recorded by someone other than Showbiz

These tracks should have been on the deluxe boxset instead of the pointless DVD. Really hoping some helpful soul can somehow download and post these, so I can burn my own CD version once they've all been released.

It's wonderful. New generations deserve to have access to this material. Now more than ever.

The Smiths -->> classic

Morrissey --->> living legend

Is Millwallke a real place? I always thought it was like Flint, Michigan, this made up stuff your fat face with meat and cheese TV show location for Laverne and Shirley and Happy Days.

Reckon this stuff is all over YouTube. Reckon you just need to have the attention span and do a little work to find it.

Sorry if this is a daft question, but is there a B side?

what a pleasure to hear this, the Smiths at their best, short catchy song with lyrics and voice only Morrissey could get away with.

"Frankly, Mister Shankly" is such a great example of a British music hall pastiche it is the one song I thought might slightly baffle non-English listeners in its tone if not tune and lyric. "Shove your job up your arse" is obviously a much loved international theme and there is little to be lost in translation, but it got me wondering...

What did Americans, or any other nationalities for that matter, think when they first heard the Smiths? The Smiths are so resolutely English, and northern English at that, I wonder if they are to you what Lynyrd Skynrd or NWA are to me. Those bands aren't quite as vomit inducing as Huey Lewis & The News and I think I sort of get it, but I'm not entirely sure I really do because I don't live there and I haven't had those experiences growing up.

I'm prompted to asking in part by thinking about Aztec Camera's sterling efforts down the years to claim all the good things about England unto himself while eschewing the bad bits. While named after a Scottish band. Of how he uses our beautiful language gifted to him and my forebears centuries ago to claim we are somehow jealous of Oreos, Twinkies, Type 2 diabetes, Taylor Swift and Maxine Waters.

I speak, by the way, as a lover of America and most things American. Manys the argument I've had with people who claim there is no such thing as American musical culture and been delighted to reply: "Frank Sinatra... Elvis Presley... Maria Callas... Don't talk bollocks."

The Smiths are, perhaps, alongside the Kinks and the Wurzels, the most quintessentially English (as opposed to British) band this country has ever produced. As an Englishman my first reactions to those early singles was for the most part laughter. They were such a fascinating concoction of brand new and old fashioned. Melvyn Bragg summed it up rather well in his introduction to the South Bank Show special in 1987:

I'd be interested to know what some of you overseas types they have these days initially thought when you heard the Smiths for the first time?

Did you "get" it? And who do you think of when you hear the name "Mr. Shankly"?

"Frankly, Mister Shankly" is such a great example of a British music hall pastiche it is the one song I thought might slightly baffle non-English listeners in its tone if not tune and lyric. "Shove your job up your arse" is obviously a much loved international theme and there is little to be lost in translation, but it got me wondering...

What did Americans, or any other nationalities for that matter, think when they first heard the Smiths? The Smiths are so resolutely English, and northern English at that, I wonder if they are to you what Lynyrd Skynrd or NWA are to me. Those bands aren't quite as vomit inducing as Huey Lewis & The News and I think I sort of get it, but I'm not entirely sure I really do because I don't live there and I haven't had those experiences growing up.

I'm prompted to asking in part by thinking about Aztec Camera's sterling efforts down the years to claim all the good things about England unto himself while eschewing the bad bits. While named after a Scottish band. Of how he uses our beautiful language gifted to him and my forebears centuries ago to claim we are somehow jealous of Oreos, Twinkies, Type 2 diabetes, Taylor Swift and Maxine Waters.

I speak, by the way, as a lover of America and most things American. Manys the argument I've had with people who claim there is no such thing as American musical culture and been delighted to reply: "Frank Sinatra... Elvis Presley... Maria Callas... Don't talk bollocks."

The Smiths are, perhaps, alongside the Kinks and the Wurzels, the most quintessentially English (as opposed to British) band this country has ever produced. As an Englishman my first reactions to those early singles was for the most part laughter. They were such a fascinating concoction of brand new and old fashioned. Melvyn Bragg summed it up rather well in his introduction to the South Bank Show special in 1987:

I'd be interested to know what some of you overseas types they have these days initially thought when you heard the Smiths for the first time?

Did you "get" it? And who do you think of when you hear the name "Mr. Shankly"?

Well I think since the smiths were such a great band and morrissey such a good lyricist that the songs work on a bunch of levels and that when young Americans heard the song they just took it at face value of a stuffy person trying to act superior by calling out out others. I don't think many thought to look for any more meaning from the name shankly. I personally didn't really think much about they're being British when I first heard them and I don't think many Americans of my time really thought the British very different from us except maybe superficially. I wasn't looking for brittishisms In there music and was looking at it from a universal perspective and of course a personal one as everyone does. It is somewhat true when people say that there's no diffinative American music. We're a huge place with many regional differences and by the eighties were used to hearing a bunch of different sounds and musical personalities so I think people just took British bands in stride without giving it much thought. At least the young average listeners did. As I got older and more into musical in general it was a treat to find the references layered into the music

Well I think since the smiths were such a great band and morrissey such a good lyricist that the songs work on a bunch of levels and that when young Americans heard the song they just took it at face value of a stuffy person trying to act superior by calling out out others. I don't think many thought to look for any more meaning from the name shankly. I personally didn't really think much about they're being British when I first heard them and I don't think many Americans of my time really thought the British very different from us except maybe superficially. I wasn't looking for brittishisms In there music and was looking at it from a universal perspective and of course a personal one as everyone does. It is somewhat true when people say that there's no diffinative American music. We're a huge place with many regional differences and by the eighties were used to hearing a bunch of different sounds and musical personalities so I think people just took British bands in stride without giving it much thought. At least the young average listeners did. As I got older and more into musical in general it was a treat to find the references layered into the music

Agreed. All the bands I listened to at the time were British: The Cure, Echo & The Bunnymen, Depeche Mode, New Order, Pet Shop Boys, etc. - so the Smiths being British was not at all unusual to me. Plus some of the first Smiths songs I heard were very accessible ones like Ask & HSIN - which did not require a deep understanding of the culture. Even a song with more local references like "Rusholme Ruffians" - I didn't know where Rusholme was when I first heard the song - but I certainly understood "ruffians". So what I'm getting at is the universality ("love and law and poverty") of Morrissey's lyrics on top of Johnny's brilliant music that touched people everywhere. So if you happened to get all the references it was a bonus but not mandatory to enjoy and be moved by the songs.

Last edited:
Tags
tqid reissue

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom