Graham Gouldman (ex 10cc, Hollies) interview mentions Morrissey/Marr - The Times of Israel

The Times of Israel has a long interview with Graham Gouldman, covering pretty much his whole musical life. All good stuff, including this snippet here about Morrissey's cover of "East West":

“It’s a very Mancunian song for some reason,” Gouldman says. “It makes me always think of Manchester, and I love Morrissey’s cover, it’s great. I never met Morrissey but I quite like him — he is so Mancunian and so am I. In fact, I like the Smiths and I love Johnny Marr; he is great, really great! He is someone that I’d like to work with one day. I don’t know him, but I hope our paths will cross one day.”

https://www.timesofisrael.com/the-b...-never-heard-of-spills-after-a-covid-19-bout/

full

Last edited by a moderator:
East West is one of my favourite Morrissey performances of all time. I preferred when I didn't know it was a cover though.

I really like East West, seemed to suit Moz's style at the time and he does kinda make it his own. I'm sure I read on Solo a few years ago how some folks felt it had a festive feel to it and I do agree.

It's both funny and tragic how many people have over the years said they want to work with Morrissey and yet he has worked with so few. When interviewing Nicky Wire in 2014 he said that they wanted to ask Morrissey to sing on their album Futurism but were certain that he would say "f*** off!". Nicky added that is exactly what they would have wanted him to say anyway. But they didn't ask.

I really like East West, seemed to suit Moz's style at the time and he does kinda make it his own. I'm sure I read on Solo a few years ago how some folks felt it had a festive feel to it and I do agree.
The original is a Christmas song, but Morrissey changed it and added some lyrics of his own.

Salford born Gouldman the composer of East West (he also wrote for The Yardbirds & The Hollies).
He was instrumental in the creation of Strawberry Studios - where The Smiths recorded the initial version of Hand In Glove, recorded a version of TCM & the rare red flexi interview by Yuko Takano (given away with the Japanese version of the album) were recorded.

Strawberry Studios mosaic via Stockport Museum featuring 10CC/Gouldman & Moz:

HiRes-1.jpg

Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits) said of Morrissey's cover (via the archive 20 years ago - thanks to Shawn Stewart):

"Hello Shawn,
Thanks for the email. I heard Morisey was a big HH fan, so I was happy he did one of our songs. I think he just missed. I think my version captured the sadness of life on the road better than he was able to do, although I will admit he has cornered the sadness market much better than me. See you in the whirled.
Peter Noone
'The artist formerly known as Herman'"

Just adding a few bits due to quarantine boredom :)
FWD.

This guy Graham gave East West to Herman's Hermits.
He also tried to giv'em Bus Stop but they didn't want it.
Peter Noone said he always regretted not takin' it.

If only Morrissey had teamed up with HIM for his first solo lp ... "East, West" is one of my favorite songs, both from Herman's Hermits and Morrissey.

My mothers boyfriend/ partner was best mates with Graham Gouldman at Manchester Grammar School a long long long time ago

Why has my post been deleted, along with the response I read agreeing with me? I referred to factual information that has been leaked this weekend. This was relevant to what Graham said about Corbyn.

I would appreciate an explanation. There was nothing offensive in my post. Why has it been censured? I thought this website was against crap like that.

Why has my post been deleted, along with the response I read agreeing with me? I referred to factual information that has been leaked this weekend. This was relevant to what Graham said about Corbyn.

I would appreciate an explanation. There was nothing offensive in my post. Why has it been censured? I thought this website was against crap like that.

It got moved to an off-topic thread. It's still there.

I have made an annoying comment about Ken Livingston in case that helps you find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting facts Wild T.

Kinda got it wrong though.
Hermans did record it, but didn't think it was a hit, so they gave it to the Hollies.
Then the Hollies did it and released it as a single and got a hit.
If ya interested, Gilbert and Frank did a interview with Peter Noone, where he talks all about it.

I found it really interesting comparing the original lyrics with the ones that Morrissey changed. He changed the song from a christmas song to something of his own.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom