I do not read 'news' papers they are troublemakers

lol at people defending this f***ing atrocious lyric. I don't care about newspapers being honest or liars in the context of this song, rhyming newspapers with trouble makers is horrific craftsmanship.

It's just a line in a song, I'm sure others have committed worse crimes, but I concede, it's not his greatest piece of craftsmanship....if newspapers was to be a mandatory fixed line, I would maybe have changed it more imaginatively to something like they are weak minds takers, but then that might not have been the message he wanted to send.

I am more concerned really with:

Maybe I'll be skinned alive
by Canada Goose
because of my views
because of the truth
because of my fleece
because of my niece

The first two lines are witty. The second two are self-righteous in the boring way Morrissey often reverts to. But the last two are just absolute gibberish, pure perusing-the-rhyming-dictionary-while-drunk stuff.

Remember "Teach your kids to recognize and despise all the propaganda / Filtered down by the dead echelons mainstream media"? That was very Trumpian too. Except, of course, for the word "echelon". That's not very Trumpian.

I think the whole problem with Morrissey ever since The Smiths disbanded, he has had no-one around to question anything he does. Or if he has had, that person has been fired very quickly. Even a great artist needs an editor, a trusted critic, somebody saying that this or that is not just very good, perhaps you should reconsider this or rewrite this? The artist doesn't need to comply but he should listen and reconsider -- and then either decide to do it his own way or change things.
But you know Moz has always done it his way particularly when Solo, I agree what you say but Moz really is one of a kind, its astonishing what he's achieved by being his own man, he said it himself years ago, he's "unique".

by Canada Goose
because of my views
because of the truth
because of my fleece
because of my niece

The first two lines are witty. The second two are self-righteous in the boring way Morrissey often reverts to. But the last two are just absolute gibberish, pure perusing-the-rhyming-dictionary-while-drunk stuff.
Maybe he's just saying they'd do it for no reason the way they do to animals...l do like because of my fleece tho!

by Canada Goose
because of my views
because of the truth
because of my fleece
because of my niece

There's more to life than lyrical analysis you know...

by Canada Goose
because of my views
because of the truth
because of my fleece
because of my niece

Actually, that's an interesting example. Although an appalling lyric, it occurred to me that he was being more specific than random gibberish there:
for 'fleece' read 'cashmere cardigan adorned with peacock feather'
for 'niece' read 'nephew'

If it was anybody else, of course, that would be nonsense, but this is Morrissey we're talking about, and he does love to twist/invert words.

That's like saying 'She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah' is bad. It might not be sophisticated, but that's not the point.

But that was before rock/pop lyrics became an art form. Anyway, I see no harm in being "intentionally moronic" (which is how Pet Shop Boys described most of their Super album) if the music is good enough, so I really have no problem with Kiss Me A Lot -- except that it's a truly weak song. If it was "a banger" (like young people used to say), the lyric would be alright in that context. But aiming for something serious and then missing the mark, that's what really irks me.

But that was before rock/pop lyrics became an art form. Anyway, I see no harm in being "intentionally moronic" (which is how Pet Shop Boys described most of their Super album) if the music is good enough, so I really have no problem with Kiss Me A Lot -- except that it's a truly weak song. If it was "a banger" (like young people used to say), the lyric would be alright in that context. But aiming for something serious and then missing the mark, that's what really irks me.

Again, these things are subjective, much like beauty being in the eye of the beholder.
KMA is one of my favourite songs; yes it's a simple song lyrically, but I love the beat/tempo, and the way Moz delivers it.
It's the same, for me, with Tony The Pony, Roy's Keen & Hairdresser. Simple, witty, catchy.
Moz more than makes up for any of these weak tracks, lyrically, musically, & with his delivery in so many of his other tracks.

Again, these things are subjective, much like beauty being in the eye of the beholder.
KMA is one of my favourite songs; yes it's a simple song lyrically, but I love the beat/tempo, and the way Moz delivers it.
It's the same, for me, with Tony The Pony, Roy's Keen & Hairdresser. Simple, witty, catchy.
Moz more than makes up for any of these weak tracks, lyrically, musically, & with his delivery in so many of his other tracks.

Well, I'm glad you like it. I really love Staircase In The University, the sheer verve (very Tears For Fears) makes me overlook the lyrical shortcomings, it's just a brilliant pop song in my opinion. But Kiss Me A Lot I just don't feel at all. My loss, really.

Well, I'm glad you like it. I really love Staircase In The University, the sheer verve (very Tears For Fears) makes me overlook the lyrical shortcomings, it's just a brilliant pop song in my opinion. But Kiss Me A Lot I just don't feel at all. My loss, really.

Try watching & listening to it.

The two tarts girls in the vid really make it for me. ;)

Oh dear. I actually watched that all the way through. The sheer amateurishness of it all just floors me. The girls are just about the least problematic thing in the video.

Try watching & listening to it.

The two tarts girls in the vid really make it for me. ;)

I had to watch it again, just to remember how awful it was. In fact it's so bad, it's quite mesmerising. Perhaps no-one has told Sam that Uncle Steve is... er... Huma?

The girls are just about the least problematic thing in the video.
It's better if you turn the sound off. How this made the cut of the main album, with so many superior tracks relegated to the bonus edition is staggering.

I've pondered this is recent times, I must admit, stop watching the news, and more recently, newspapers are trouble makers (reasonable comment to some extent), & supposedly he also includes the internet news sites into this bracket. So, if you don't read, watch any of that, how are you supposed to be aware of anything which is happening in the world? So I agree with your last line.

You don't have to believe everything you see/read, so sometimes you need to read between the lines & filter out the unnecessary bullshit, but in day to day life, who really has the time, or the inclination, to sit & ponder at length?

Most people just see the headline (or the grabline) & decide if they want to read up on that; mostly people have jobs of work to do, so don't have the time to waste on that shit; it changes day by day after all. To some extent it's almost a pointless exercise.

Try doing your own research. All forms of Mainstream Media are owned and propagators of narratives. It's propaganda. If you don't have time to seek truth then you deserve your slavery

It's better if you turn the sound off. How this made the cut of the main album, with so many superior tracks relegated to the bonus edition is staggering.

It's one of my favourites off the album. I love signing along to it at full pelt. Different strokes for different folks...

Try doing your own research. All forms of Mainstream Media are owned and propagators of narratives. It's propaganda. If you don't have time to seek truth then you deserve your slavery

I think we had this covered; but I tend to skim read, filter, deep dive if it's of interest, but allow a sensible time frame without getting sucked into it all & becoming propaganda-ised & overly absorbed by it all. Suits me but YMMV. IANADOAC either.

Well, what's the alternative to trusting the media? Believing random YouTube bloggers and people in social media?

I "trust newspapers" in the way that for instance The Guardian's, The Times's and Helsingin Sanomat's (the leading paper here in Finland) coverage of the corona virus is far more reliable than anything else I have access to at the moment. That doesn't mean that I agree with or even believe everything in them.

To me "[Newspapers] are troublemakers" is a terrible line, because isn't that one of media's main goals? To show us the hypocrisy of the politicians, the wrongdoings of big corporations and the other miscarriages of justice happening every day. But to Morrissey, that only means getting a two-star review in The Guardian.

If you don't "watch the news" (in the Spent The Day In Bed way), to me you have nothing to contribute in any discussion of any current events.

Finland may be a very different place - but the UK has always had a more melodramatic newspaper culture. The paper's agenda & readership demographic shapes the way it presents its facts & even The Guardian is famously & hilariously partisan. Morrissey is from several marginal groups & it's not surprising he doesn't like the mainstream media. Very few British left-wingers are comfortable with news coverage. And there's been a campaign to regulate it, Hacked Off, that led to prosecutions & the closure of the biggest Sunday paper, The News Of The World.

I don't think it's about reviews - I think the news genuinely affects his mental health because it bombards us with events & opinions.

Back
Top Bottom