'I feel like I've been had': Morrissey's collaborators respond to his politics - The Guardian

Link retweeted by @ericacalil:

'I feel like I've been had': Morrissey's collaborators respond to his politics - The Guardian
The former Smiths singer’s new album features guest spots from Billie Joe Armstrong and Grizzly Bear’s Ed Droste. Are they not put off by his increasingly unpleasant right-wing stance?

Excerpt:

As US music magazine the Fader asked: “What possible reason could any of these people have for lining up behind Morrissey now?”

Droste declined to comment. The only artist willing to speak with the Guardian was Canadian vocalist Ariel Engle, who performs with cult indie outfit Broken Social Scene. She received a call from the American producer Joe Chiccarelli asking her to contribute backing vocals for a cover of Joni Mitchell’s Don’t Interrupt the Sorrow. “I thought, ‘Oh the Smiths, sure’,” she says. “It was $500 for two hours’ work.”

Engle says she didn’t become aware of Morrissey’s political views until the album was announced and a friend emailed to question her involvement. “It’s a very weak argument to claim ignorance,” she says, “but it is my argument. It’s not an excuse but it happens to be the truth.”

Morrissey’s manager, Peter Katsis, says he is unaware of statements made by any guest vocalists, but that the intention of the covers album was supposed to be fun. “This is where his head is at,” he says. “Maybe enough has been said with the last few albums being political.” Of Morrissey’s political views, Katsis says: “I manage his artistic career and sometimes I have to deal with things he says, but it’s not for me to comment.”

Chiccarelli echoes Katsis’s sentiment. “I can’t speak to Moz’s politics,” he says. “I’m a record-maker. I’ve known him 10 years and he’s been a gentleman and a pleasure. I consider him a friend.” When asked about the far-right figures for whom Morrissey has expressed support, Chiccarelli says: “I’d really have to research it and see if it crossed a particular line for me.”

Engle says that learning of Morrissey’s political opinions has left a “bad taste”, and that she stands in opposition to his views. “The inflammatory things he says are not my politics. I think he’s completely out of line. I grew up around multiculturalism and I am the product of multiculturalism and immigration. I feel like I’ve been had, but it’s my fault.”

The American singer LP offered a statement through a PR representative: “As I’m a huge fan of his music and poetry, I was honoured to be asked to collaborate on the album.” Representatives for Lydia Night of California band the Regrettes offered no comment, but the 18-year-old told punk magazine Kerrang!: “I’ve grown up loving the Smiths – my cat’s name is Morrissey!” Representatives for Armstrong said he was in the studio and therefore unreachable.

The guest stars on California Son are all North American, suggesting a difference between perceptions of the former Smiths frontman in the US and UK. Katsis, who is American, sees the critical focus on Morrissey’s politics as a British preoccupation.

“I don’t think they know enough about it to care about it,” he says of Morrissey’s US fans. “I don’t feel knowledgable enough to comment on British politics, therefore it’s probably not as important to me or the international fans as it is to UK fans. This whole thing has had me perplexed. The subjects are very complicated and dividing.”

The figures bear out Morrissey’s enduring support across the Atlantic. He ended 2018 with arena shows in North and South America, and has announced his first Canadian tour in 20 years for this April. In November 2017, Los Angeles City Council declared 10 November “Morrissey Day”.

“In America, he tends to be seen as the rock star who sang about queer life and spoke openly about feminism when nobody else did,” says Rolling Stone critic Rob Sheffield. “These two images define him, and he’s still seen in terms of his pioneering place in history. His grumpy old age is not really held against him. Americans tend not to follow UK politics very closely, so when he makes mind-blowingly offensive statements there might be outrage or humiliation for a few days, or hours, but then it’s back to listening to The Queen Is Dead”.

Media coverage:

Last edited:
I'm free roaming. Lonely. Looking for love in the wrong places. Thinking is loneliness so bad? Thank god I have myself to talk to.

Yes, but you’re friends with a self-professed racist, and Uncleskinny and the other hatebots on here don’t
have the heart to understand you.

Just saying.
Raggy isn't racist, he's just pissed. Other than that, I'm not sure what your point is.

Try and find the It,s Over montage from the finale of the film Little Voice. A tear.

Would hating Robinson change Robinson?

Morrissey’s heart is bigger and wiser than all combined that visit this site.

No not at all but why the f*** did he have to express sympathy for the scum bag in the first place. It's the most stupid thing he has ever done in his career and not something I and thousands of others would have never expected him to do.

This site is soo brilliant. I want all of you to drink a case of beer and come back online while you're peaking so I can read you all finishing this conversation. No one on this site is horribly racist. Calm down. Its Over is fab.

Got banned forever the last time I came on here drunk. I posted Morrissey videos here in General. Wasn't appreciated by someone...

But yeah, It's Over is fab! Just blasted it out! If you haven't yet, play it through a decent pair of speakers!

:rolleyes:

o_O

did I read this right? Islamic Twats :turban:want to run Moz? WtF???
why dont go over and run Hooky for FFS hes in dire straits.o_O

NOTE TO THE SOCKPUPPETRY:

while all your :drama:
California Son went up to 5:bow:

Moz did not feel sorry for Mr Robinson, what he said and you well know, is that it was wrong what happened to him i.e. dragged before a court and found guilty within 24hrs whilst the child molesters that Mr Robinson was filming were out on bail, but don't let a fact get in your way to twist things

Believe what you want. Robinsons a racist, Morrissey has been tarred with the same brush and due to him spouting off about the arsehole his UK career is f***ed.

No not at all but why the f*** did he have to express sympathy for the scum bag in the first place. It's the most stupid thing he has ever done in his career and not something I and thousands of others would have never expected him to do.

It wasn't sympathy. He was clearly stating that free speech isn't allowed in the UK.

"Morrissey said: “It’s very obvious that Labour or the Tories do not believe in free speech … I mean, look at the shocking treatment of Tommy Robinson.”" https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ympathy-for-jailed-edl-founder-tommy-robinson

That is all Morrissey said.

so you think because a knob like Dave Has Been organised some f***ing disco M is finished in the UK.. NOT ON YOUR LIFE.. best Manc Lad, by the way goodnight and stay calm you might live longer

Believe what you want. Robinsons a racist, Morrissey has been tarred with the same brush and due to him spouting off about the arsehole his UK career is f***ed.
its quite the fine line he skirts now aint it?
loathes more recent immigrants to England mostly(shh, know one remind him he's Irish by descent)
but love the Mexicans over here in the USA and hate Trump, when really Moz is just the UK version of MAGA hat wearing moron :crazy:

It wasn't sympathy. He was clearly stating that free speech isn't allowed in the UK.

"Morrissey said: “It’s very obvious that Labour or the Tories do not believe in free speech … I mean, look at the shocking treatment of Tommy Robinson.”" https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ympathy-for-jailed-edl-founder-tommy-robinson

That is all Morrissey said.

If he believes that to be true then really f***ed up on the example he picked. So what's the excuse for supporting Anne Marie Walters?

Politically correct twats afraid of saying the 'wrong thing'. If my 'friend' phoned me to tell me who not to work with I'd hang up after telling them to never call me again. This world is turning into a shittier version of Orwell's 1984.

so you think because a knob like Dave Has Been organised some f***ing disco M is finished in the UK.. NOT ON YOUR LIFE.. best Manc Lad, by the way goodnight and stay calm you might live longer

Nothing to do with Haslam, all do to with with large numbers of people not agreeing with his views on Robinson and Walters. He f***ed up big time discussing anything to do with those two and it was not something I ever expected to see from the man who fronted a band that I loved from their fist gig I saw back in 84.

o FFS, that twat :turban: Hasaalam.:grin:

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom