I'm going to New York

Yeah I am seriously interested Chickpea, I'll PM you seeing as creating a thread causes certain douchbags to run their mouth.

This is a shame I would have been interested.

actually read on through the thread, plenty of food for thought, I really fancy this myself, maybe not xmas though.

Last edited:
I don't have a trip planned to NYC, but this thread is seriously motivating, so I might have to scrape together some cash and get my butt out there! Thanks to everyone who contributed their information.....except you, realitybites.

haha! Yeah, I am pretty darn proud of this place. I feel like a tourism ambassador sometimes!

I was hoping you'd give Queens its due. :)

Perfectly said. I agree.

Last edited:
haha! Yeah, I am pretty darn proud of this place. I feel like a tourism ambassador sometimes!

Loved your recs, D! Soooo makes me wish I was headed to NY myself! BF will be going to visit his family in Long Island in a few weeks and now I feel so jealous. :)

I also forgot to mention (building upon Chickpea's mention of free things to do which is a fantastic idea). The NY Public Library on 5th Ave is not to be missed. It's free and you can wander around and see the Rose Main Reading Room (which will hopefully be open by next Christmas). It was closed a few days ago when I was there for renovations. The room is just incredible with a high ceiling painted in frescos. They also have a wonderful gift shop with unusual items and lots of NYC souvenirs that are not the run-of-the mill things found in the souvenir shops that line the city.

You should have come with the bf and stayed by me!! It would have been perfect. You are welcome anytime!

Loved your recs, D! Soooo makes me wish I was headed to NY myself! BF will be going to visit his family in Long Island in a few weeks and now I feel so jealous. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Great idea! And Jobriath died on the rooftop.

[/QUOTE]Lastly, check out the Chelsea Hotel....Sid killed Nancy there and many beatnik writers/poets roomed there.[/QUOTE]

Besides the three that are mentioned

I've found some gems at Rebel Rebel in NYC on Bleeker Street. Its very very small but packed with stuff.

https://plus.google.com/102606895003925324950/about?gl=us&hl=en

For new stuffs I'd recommend in NYC Other Music and of course the new Rough Trade store in Brooklyn
http://www.othermusic.com/

All right, my Philly pal gave me some record stores you should probably hit up. I think he skipped over the bits where I asked him about stuff to do, see and/or eat because he has a one track mind: music. Haha! That's all he gave me. I'm sorry. :(

1) Black Gold - it's in the Carroll Gardens section of Brooklyn. It's also a terrific coffeehouse. The prices are a bit high, but the selection is good, especially for labels like Last Laugh (a punk reissue label based in Brooklyn) that you don't see in many other places.

2) Academy - it used to be in Williamsburg, but they moved north to the Greenpoint neighborhood in Brooklyn (i.e. the neighborhood where Girls is set). I haven't been there since they moved, but they have always had an excellent vinyl selection at mostly reasonable prices.

3) Generation - This is the only store in Manhattan that I'll recommend. It's in the West Village. Everything else there has closed like all of my old spots on St. Marks (even Kim's) but Generation is worth it. I haven't been there in many years, but I know they're still going strong. It's a punk/hardcore oriented store, but they have lots of other stuff, too.

Funny..from reading this thread, I realized that I've spent way more time in NYC record shopping and concert going then actual sight seeing.

That is very cool! They are called Patience and Fortitude. :D

Lastly, check out the Chelsea Hotel....Sid killed Nancy there and many beatnik writers/poets roomed there.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Hug the lions there. Fred's relatives carved 'em after they came off the ship from Italy. ;)[/QUOTE]

New York advice, please?

Ahoy - the long planned trip to New York is happening for me and my wife this coming October, we'll be staying a week. New York people - what part of Manhattan do you recommend as a base for exploring New York? We were looking at Times Square, but all the hotels are a bit pricey. I don''t mind paying a bit more for classy joints, but the convenience of being near places proably outweighs costs.

Ta for help.

P.

Re: New York advice, please?

Did you find a hotel, Peter? October is the PERFECT month to visit. My absolute favorite month.

Ahoy - the long planned trip to New York is happening for me and my wife this coming October, we'll be staying a week. New York people - what part of Manhattan do you recommend as a base for exploring New York? We were looking at Times Square, but all the hotels are a bit pricey. I don''t mind paying a bit more for classy joints, but the convenience of being near places proably outweighs costs.

Ta for help.

P.

Re: New York advice, please?

Bump

Did you see my last post, Peter?

Back
Top Bottom