I'm on a major Smiths kick right now and loving it.

9 x Fined

nevermind
Triggered by some mild heartache. Never fails.

Louder than Bombs is on. 20 years and still in high rotation.

:rolleyes:

The Smiths were great, but at this perspective, 20-30 years on I tend to look upon Johnny Marr as the first (and one of the better) of Morrisseys co-writers as opposed to a separate period of his career. One therefore observes Morrisseys work as a continuous whole rather than a Smiths period followed by a solo career. Thoughts please?

Same. However I still make a big distinction between the two periods. I'm definitely guilty of listening to much more solo stuff on the whole. I consider the smiths to be the reserve blend I tend to save for special occasions. Time for another Maker's I think.

Triggered by some mild heartache. Never fails.

Louder than Bombs is on. 20 years and still in high rotation.

:rolleyes:

Heh, I haven't listened to any Moz or Smiths for months, literally. Until yesterday - when I played Louder Than Bombs. :thumb:

The Smiths were great, but at this perspective, 20-30 years on I tend to look upon Johnny Marr as the first (and one of the better) of Morrisseys co-writers as opposed to a separate period of his career. One therefore observes Morrisseys work as a continuous whole rather than a Smiths period followed by a solo career. Thoughts please?

In the spirit of our recent natural disasters, I choose to see it as an earthquake: The Smiths are the quake, the solo career is wave after wave of rolling aftershocks. It's a non-linear, disproportionate effect. Hence I don't really see Marr as the first in a string of Morrissey guitarists, much the same way as, for example, "The Communist Manifesto" is so much more thrilling than "Capital"; the latter is much more substantial but you'd never be reading it in the first place if the former hadn't captured your heart as a wee lad.

See also: Malcolm McLaren, Anthony H. Wilson, Chuck Norris, Jesus Christ, etc.

Last edited:
In the spirit of our recent natural disasters, I choose to see it as an earthquake: The Smiths are the quake, the solo career is wave after wave of rolling aftershocks. It's a non-linear, disproportionate effect. Hence I don't really see Marr as the first in a string of Morrissey guitarists, much the same way as, for example, "The Communist Manifesto" is so much more thrilling than "Capital"; the latter is much more substantial but you'd never be reading it in the first place if the former hadn't captured your heart as a wee lad.

See also: Malcolm McLaren, Anthony H. Wilson, Chuck Norris, Jesus Christ, etc.
Hey Worm, Good point. Although I got into Morrissey solo before the Smiths but thats just me. I've read your other post on other threads. They are a joy to read, well written and thought out. A welcome change from some of the spiteful stuff you see posted. I will respond to your other post in the appropriate threads (you clever bastard!)

Hey Worm, Good point. Although I got into Morrissey solo before the Smiths but thats just me. I've read your other post on other threads. They are a joy to read, well written and thought out. A welcome change from some of the spiteful stuff you see posted. I will respond to your other post in the appropriate threads (you clever bastard!)

You're too kind, thanks. :)

Well am I the only f***er on here who has just placed my order with Amazon for 'Smiths' - Complete at the princely sum of 229.99 English sovs? And sitting here basking in the glow! I want that f***ing box of delights. It makes no sense, but it makes every sense. My girlfriend (yes I have one, not in a coma), says I cant afford it. That was the clincher!

Well am I the only f***er on here who has just placed my order with Amazon for 'Smiths' - Complete at the princely sum of 229.99 English sovs? And sitting here basking in the glow! I want that f***ing box of delights. It makes no sense, but it makes every sense. My girlfriend (yes I have one, not in a coma), says I cant afford it. That was the clincher!

I once had a girlfriend break up with me on the spot. Just sighed, rolled her eyes, and walked out. It really took me by surprise, and I still can't figure out why. Conversation went like this:

Her: "Let's go out to dinner tonight".
Me: "Can't, I'm broke".
Her: "Why don't you have any money?"
Me: "The other day, at the Record Fair, I bought 'The Queen Is Dead' on vinyl".
Her: "Oh, well, I know you love that album. If we're going to stay in, let's at least play it, okay?"
Me: "Happy to! Which one? Let's see, there's the Polish pressing, the Dutch, the German, the Japanese, the Belgian, the Canadian-- look, on this one, "Frankly Mr. Shankly" is misspelled..."

*slamming door*

I once had a girlfriend break up with me on the spot. Just sighed, rolled her eyes, and walked out. It really took me by surprise, and I still can't figure out why. Conversation went like this:

Her: "Let's go out to dinner tonight".
Me: "Can't, I'm broke".
Her: "Why don't you have any money?"
Me: "The other day, at the Record Fair, I bought 'The Queen Is Dead' on vinyl".
Her: "Oh, well, I know you love that album. If we're going to stay in, let's at least play it, okay?"
Me: "Happy to! Which one? Let's see, there's the Polish pressing, the Dutch, the German, the Japanese, the Belgian, the Canadian-- look, on this one, "Frankly Mr. Shankly" is misspelled..."

*slamming door*

...I'm sorry, but I'm on her side, maybe because I live with a (non-Smithian) vinyl collector and after years and years I'm still there looking at that shelf wondering "why, why 10 different versions of The Piper at the gates of Dawn in my house...isn't one enough?" :confused::confused:

As much as i've always loved, respected, admired and enjoyed Morrissey and his music, aside from brief glimpses his solo work doesn't get near the sheer beauty that The Smiths captured. But then nobody else ever did either. Similarly Johnny Marr hasn't managed to recreate the work he did with The Smiths. They were a total one off, Morrissey's melodies and phrasing followed Johnny's guitar lines perfectly, everything about that band was perfect, and still is.

...I'm sorry, but I'm on her side, maybe because I live with a (non-Smithian) vinyl collector and after years and years I'm still there looking at that shelf wondering "why, why 10 different versions of The Piper at the gates of Dawn in my house...isn't one enough?" :confused::confused:

Piper At The Gates of Dawn? One version is more than enough. I mean, really. :)

As much as i've always loved, respected, admired and enjoyed Morrissey and his music, aside from brief glimpses his solo work doesn't get near the sheer beauty that The Smiths captured. But then nobody else ever did either. Similarly Johnny Marr hasn't managed to recreate the work he did with The Smiths. They were a total one off, Morrissey's melodies and phrasing followed Johnny's guitar lines perfectly, everything about that band was perfect, and still is.

I couldnt of put it better myself.

I love some of Moz solo stuff but the smiths stuff Is just Pure sheer brilliance. How they wernt the biggest band in the world god only knows

Back
Top Bottom