Interview with Spencer Cobrin

Spencer is my fave Moz drummer, but he took time to grow on me. I wasn't too hot on the band as a whole on the '91 Kill Uncle tour, and had mixed feelings about Arsenal (which I like more now than before). But I love the drumming (and really all the playing) on Southpaw & Maladjusted.

good to hear something from the most energetic drummer Morrissey had,
indeed 1991, but that tour was magical.

First time touring with a new band, his own songs,Morrissey's charism,
not a sec. missing stage

well you had to see a show to feel it like me though anyone have their special
gig

next time, hope to some news from Gary Day

now it';s time for an icecream :thumb:

Last edited:
f***ing hell... why does everyone who interviews Spencer dance around the elephant in the living room?

Why did Morrissey fire him?

I've heard of several different believable reasons, but nothing from a good source. Does anyone in the know, know anything?

f***ing hell... why does everyone who interviews Spencer dance around the elephant in the living room?

Why did Morrissey fire him?

I've heard of several different believable reasons, but nothing from a good source. Does anyone in the know, know anything?

well Spencer was allready, as Gary Day out of the band around Vauxhall and Boxers
time
Woody Taylor on drumms and Bass Johnny Bridgewood if I'm correct

Spencer wanted also more influence in the recording en demoo situation

some say, he was more than a drummer, stories of pics in a hotelroom

I think Spencer was a bit done as just the drummer sand wanted more
songwritng, and there was allready Boz and Alain, so after Maladjusted, and touring
1999/2000 Oye Esteban he was not asked

as Spike T was not asked in 2002 tour, and Dean Butterworth also got fired after
2 folowing tours, so maybe the ' Walker's " [ the bro's ,drumms and bass] are at the upcoming gigs not after the drumkit, or the bass
I hope not.

Morrissey and drummers is trouble

Last edited:
The only part of that which made any sense isn't even true. Deano left on his own accord to drum with good charlotte or someone.

Seems to me that it's obvious from how the questions and answers are presented that the falling out was about 'rascism'. It's interesting that Spencer says that he has forgiven Morrissey.

I ran into Alain whyte a few years back a little after he had left morrissey, I had asked him if he had any contact with Spencer he said no that he just fell off the face of the earth and that he was a strange/weird fellow.

The only part of that which made any sense isn't even true. Deano left on his own accord to drum with good charlotte or someone.

what about the first 3 lines

it would be nice if you'd wrote about Dean, just post
and add it, the words of none of my posts making sense
is a common knowledge, but some facts about Spencer
were rumours, and Spencer definately wanted more input
than just being a drummer

Deano Butterworth did 'cause he was uncertain if he was in Morrissey's band
and wanted to play, Morrissey has months, a year or more when he's not
playing so the Lads not getting paid, Deano [as Mikey Farrel]
choose to go on and don't hang around Morriissey, waiting for the call

Hoping the VN is not going to attack Khadafy and his army, the UK and France
he insulted and the USA onlyh wanted to do with agreement and help from the VN

' this is not your country' gonna look through me gb music, and play it:(

The story I heard was that Moz had unfortunately used an anti-semetic remark in rehearsals ( Spencer is Jewish) and Spencer quit the band. He was asked back and regretfully, another tangle happened with Morrissey (again over anti-semetic remarks) and Spencer quit for the final time. This is why it took Spencer quite awhile to forgive Morrissey.
Don't shoot the messenger. This is just the story that came out after Spencer's departure. I'm sharing it with you and don't care if you like reading it or not. I'm just putting the story out there.

The story I heard was that Moz had unfortunately used an anti-semetic remark in rehearsals ( Spencer is Jewish) and Spencer quit the band. He was asked back and regretfully, another tangle happened with Morrissey (again over anti-semetic remarks) and Spencer quit for the final time. This is why it took Spencer quite awhile to forgive Morrissey.
Don't shoot the messenger. This is just the story that came out after Spencer's departure. I'm sharing it with you and don't care if you like reading it or not. I'm just putting the story out there.

*me as anonymous*

the only thing that is true and make sense is that Spencer was in Morrissey's band,
and never ever seen written that Spencer iis living the Jewish way, and that he had
Jewish background is just a fact

* see how easy it is to put people down, as anonymous people do it, just safe with
your software behind the screen*

just an example:(

Celibate, just because you were not aware that Spencer IS Jewish, doesn't mean he isn't.

Nobody is getting put down. That was a real report to come out in regards to Spencer's departure.

Morrissey said some things that Spencer took offense to. That's just how that event happened at rehearsals. THAT was the "falling out".

It's nothing to do with any kind of sexual relationship or whatever (there was none).

Morrissey said things that Spencer was angered by. That's what happened.

If you put some time into it and investigate this, you will get the information for yourself.

I'm so tired of the Morrissey "know-it-alls" who come on here like the Moz police.

It's amazing to find out just how arrogant so many Morrissey fans are around here. It's pathetic.

Morrissey has never had great drummers except for now. Spencer Cobrin lacked groove and rushed the beat too much whereas Dean Butterworth whilst technically a wizz, lacked creativity. Matt Walker is probably the best he's had. I'd like to see Morrissey tour with Karen Carpenter, Dave Grohl or Nicko McBrain on drums. 2 of these options are possible.

"Spencer Cobrin lacked groove and rushed the beat too much"---

As an ex-touring musician myself, I have to say Spencer was the most dynamic of all and displayed incredible groove. Those of us who witnessed the tours live from your arsenal, up until the maladjusted days could testify. I was lucky enough to catch 2 different sound checks during these times and got to hear Spencer play before the show all by himself. I heard him practicing a few Jazz solos in Vegas at The Juke Joint...I could have sworn I was watching Buddy Rich up there on the risers.
Spencer was the best drummer Morrissey has ever had.

I LOVE Matt Walker however, and can only hope he stays around long enough to top Spencer. Unfortunately, with Jesse Tobias in the band...the music and performances are severely handicapped. I liked Jesse Tobias before he joined Morrissey...now loathe him. What a horrible guitarist/song writer.

Alain Whyte is still writing amazing music. Boz is losing his touch but I blame that on the lack of talent he has been surrounded by for the past few years...but he's still great.

I LOVED Deano too...the most accomplished of all the drummers...but you can't blame him for staying busy.

Summary-Spencer Cobrin...I'm sorry the Morrissey audience lost you, you are greatly missed.

In the end I had thought all of Spencer's run-ins with Moz were over money/songwriting credits? Spencer may have pushed things a bit to much on stage at times on that '91 tour but then he turned around and played beautifully on Your Arsenal. His performance on that record is pretty flawless me thinks. Both Deano and Matt are great drummers as well (although Matt comes on a little heavy handed at times). Moz has never had a bad drummer.

"Moz has never had a bad drummer".

How soon you forget Spike T. Smith.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom