Is Morrissey's career as we know it (1982-2014) basically over?

Is Morrissey's career as we know it (1982-2014) basically over?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This question would have made sense 12 months ago, but to ask it now, you'd have to be an absolute f***wit.
He has a brand new album coming out in a month's time. Did you miss this information? 12 new songs will be on the main album, 18 on the deluxe version. First new album in 5 years. How can that mean his career is over, FFS?
His new songs are not works of genius but they are a hell of a lot better than the 'new' stuff he's been previewing since 2009.
The songs have his most imaginative arrangements in years, and he has a proper new songwriter for the first time since 2006.
Why on earth is this question being asked? Because a few dates on a tour have been cancelled?
Really, threads like this are just unbelievable.

Haha, very true.

This. I can't imagine the folks at Harvest being too pleased with the tour cancellation.

What will be interesting is exactly what kind of deal Morrissey signed with Harvest. We know for years record companies were only interested in offering Morrissey what is known as a '360 deal', where they get a cut of touring income as well as record sales. Did he finally give in and sign one with Harvest? If Harvest have funded the latest disastrous US tour, then they will be out of pocket, and given his health Morrissey looks unlikely to have any long-term future as a touring artist. If he isn't phsycally able to go out on the road and earn money, the relationship between Morrissey and Harvest could hit the skids very quickly.

Personally, I think in today's climate, these two Harvest records will be Morrissey's final two solo records. I honestly can't see how they are going to be multi-million sellers that will rescue his career. Short of a desperate, last-minute attempt to reconnect with Marr, with all the attendant hype and publicity that will bring, I think we are in the end stages.

What will be interesting is exactly what kind of deal Morrissey signed with Harvest. We know for years record companies were only interested in offering Morrissey what is known as a '360 deal', where they get a cut of touring income as well as record sales. Did he finally give in and sign one with Harvest? If Harvest have funded the latest disastrous US tour, then they will be out of pocket, and given his health Morrissey looks unlikely to have any long-term future as a touring artist. If he isn't phsycally able to go out on the road and earn money, the relationship between Morrissey and Harvest could hit the skids very quickly.

Personally, I think in today's climate, these two Harvest records will be Morrissey's final two solo records. I honestly can't see how they are going to be multi-million sellers that will rescue his career. Short of a desperate, last-minute attempt to reconnect with Marr, with all the attendant hype and publicity that will bring, I think we are in the end stages.

Very, very silly.
He's never had a 'multi-million' selling album so why would anyone, least of all Harvest, expect him to have one now, at 55?
The album will need decent reviews, a number 1 or 2 entrance in the UK, top 30 in the US and it will have lived up to Harvest's expectations, and I'm quite sure it will do just that.
Morrissey is going to release albums for many, many more years to come.

He's never had a 'multi-million' selling album so why would anyone, least of all Harvest, expect him to have one now, at 55?
If Harvest don't expect Morrissey to sell many copies of the album, and are quite happy with that, then that's because they have signed a deal to get a cut of his touring profits. And as Morrissey hasn't managed to complete a tour in two years, then things are hardly loooking rosy at the moment.

The tour cancellation is a big setback after a great start to the World Peace… era, but the spoken word videos have been really nice, there's a new album +extra tracks coming out which people will buy whether or not he's on tour, and Morrissey is still, as always, in the news. Empirically speaking -- not over.

This.

Morrissey's career is always over as we basically know it and yet he rebounds. The break up of the Smiths, Kill Uncle, the lackluster performance of Southpaw/Maladjusted, the First Wilderness Years, the Second Wilderness years, last year's cancellations, etc. were all deemed to be irrefutable nails in the coffin. Yet, he came back.

This time though it looks like he's going to have a deeper hole than ever to dig himself out of and I am not entirely sure how he is going to get over the recent cancellations. I would say for certain his career was over if he hadn't been so resilient in the past. Though I am not entirely sure how he's going to overcome the latest set of obstacles.

100% this. The Man has 9 lives. Add Finsbury Park and its fallout. I would even add the severing of ties with Stephen Street. It appears he has one life left, perhaps a half-life.

So, yes and yes with qualifications = 30%
30% say Morrissey irreparably injured his career, forevermore.

This tour was so important and he blew it. The album could be the next YA but his reputation can't be fixed.

This tour was so important and he blew it. The album could be the next YA but his reputation can't be fixed.

Intensive touring may be over ( and for the best), but not his career. Great new songs and an album coming up next month does not support this idea :)

Like all of us in life Morrissey's talent and insight and indeed career waxed and wanes, but i for one enjoyed his cover of Moonriver and would love to hear him record an album of jazz standards like Misty, Autumn leaves etc. It would pay less in royalties off course, possibly a dealbreaker.

"Can't you see that you're leading me on?
And it's just what I want you to do,
Don't you notice how hopelessly
I'm lost
That's why I'm following you.

On my own,
When I wander through this wonderland alone,
Never knowing my right foot from my left
My hat from my glove
I'm too misty, and too much in love."

Like all of us in life Morrissey's talent and insight and indeed career waxed and wanes, but i for one enjoyed his cover of Moonriver and would love to hear him record an album of jazz standards like Misty, Autumn leaves etc. It would pay less in royalties off course, possibly a dealbreaker.

"Can't you see that you're leading me on?
And it's just what I want you to do,
Don't you notice how hopelessly
I'm lost
That's why I'm following you.

On my own,
When I wander through this wonderland alone,
Never knowing my right foot from my left
My hat from my glove
I'm too misty, and too much in love."
Why on earth would that happen?
He has never recorded anything remotely connected to jazz or voiced any liking for the style.
You think he'd just think 'Oh I must record some jazz'.
Why not an album of light opera or Elizabethan Madrigals.
After all these styles are just fluff that you can aquire in moment without any pedigree or grounding are they not?

^^^^^

The comment was obviously sarcastic. No one took it seriously but you. Can you not see that?

I voted for “no”.

New album is already getting some nice reviews....hopefully he’ll just take it easy on the touring. He’ll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom