Johnny Marr new single "Hi Hello" calls back to 'instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitars'

just awesome song. Chills.

Link posted by Surface:

Johnny Marr Says 'Hi Hello' to the Old Style in New Single, Video: Exclusive - Billboard

Excerpt:

Johnny Marr is making a reintroduction to a new world on his latest single “Hi Hello” from his forthcoming third solo record Call The Comet.

‘It was one of the songs that just fell into my hands and mind as I was playing,” Marr tells Billboard. “The tune evoked something natural so I just followed it and it felt like I had to sing something personal, something we might all feel about someone sometime.”

The song loosely follows the overarching concept of the next record, which is informed by an alternate utopian reality, even as Marr looks ahead at a dystopian future. It calls back to some of the former Smiths songwriter’s most instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitar and gloomy keyboard melodies, but they’re presented with a new depth that is distant yet inviting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the gazebo parts were filmed in Broadfield Park, Rochdale and the temple looks like the one in Heaton Park.

Last edited:
Also very reminiscent of this towards the end. I say if you crossed Oscillate Wildly with Dancing Barefoot, you'd get Hi Hello.

Also very reminiscent of this towards the end. I say if you crossed Oscillate Wildly with Dancing Barefoot, you'd get Hi Hello.

Bet he doesn’t dislike Morrissey like you do. How come you only criticise Morrissey and not the rest? Was he your secret love lol.

The strings at 1:42 totally remind me of the ending of "Dancing Barefoot" -- exact same melody as the "oh God I fell for you" line.

Nothing wrong with that. Just an observation. I like the song.
1.42 for me is the instrumental ending of there is a light its almost drifting then pulls back.still cant take a man of 55 having his hair as dark as that.least M is growing old gracefully.

Scary. Like a time machine back to 86/87. Johnny's still got it, and for me this feels closer to The Smiths than Morrissey has sounded since... Viva Hate?
I know it ain't gonna happen someday, but when I hear this, I'll forever keep hoping for a Morrissey/Marr/Rourke reunion. Imagine Morrissey adding lyrics to this, it probably wouldn't be inferior to, say, Death at one's elbow or Never had no one ever. I'll be seeing Johnny live soon, looking forward to it!

It's really quite pleasant, nice Smithsy music - but the vocal melody is weak as usual, the voice is poor, and the lyrics are beyond trite. It almost seems to me that his vocal actually comes in at the wrong moments. I can only imagine what people like Uncle Skanky would say if Morrissey wrote a song called "Hi Hello"...

1.42 for me is the instrumental ending of there is a light its almost drifting then pulls back.still cant take a man of 55 having his hair as dark as that.least M is growing old gracefully.

You really think Morrissey is growing old "gracefully"? I think he's fallen way short of that mark.

Johnny looks great, what's with all the hair comments here? The music's fantastic so people insult his hair? What is this, junior high?

Because Morrissey is a racist c*** and Johnny Marr isn't. Does that answer your question?
Reckon JM actually
despises you but maybe doesn’t say what he thinks. Just my guess. Lol. Every Manc I know laughs and enjoys your Smiff Sniff behaviour X Don’t believe what you read LOL BTW Sleazy Jet addding more routes for sad salesman x

Very solid effort - I'll resist making comparisons to Morrissey's latest efforts (... but imagine this track with Morrissey's vocals ...). Looking forward to more listens and good on Johnny.

I absolutely adored "New Town Velocity" and "The Messenger" from his debut solo album as well.
They dwarf pap like "Jackie's Gone all Far Right" and "All The Young People Who Voted Remain are Loonie Lefties".

Bungalow

I really like Adrenalin Baby, accept his vocals will never be on a par with Morrissey's but his craftsmanship with a guitar is the best I have ever seen/heard in my time and that live album really shows it off.

Reckon JM actually
despises you but maybe doesn’t say what he thinks. Just my guess. Lol. Every Manc I know laughs and enjoys your Smiff Sniff behaviour X Don’t believe what you read LOL BTW Sleazy Jet addding more routes for sad salesman x

Any chance you could re post when you are sober as that shit makes no sense whatsoever?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom