Johnny Marr new single "Hi Hello" calls back to 'instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitars'

just awesome song. Chills.

Link posted by Surface:

Johnny Marr Says 'Hi Hello' to the Old Style in New Single, Video: Exclusive - Billboard

Excerpt:

Johnny Marr is making a reintroduction to a new world on his latest single “Hi Hello” from his forthcoming third solo record Call The Comet.

‘It was one of the songs that just fell into my hands and mind as I was playing,” Marr tells Billboard. “The tune evoked something natural so I just followed it and it felt like I had to sing something personal, something we might all feel about someone sometime.”

The song loosely follows the overarching concept of the next record, which is informed by an alternate utopian reality, even as Marr looks ahead at a dystopian future. It calls back to some of the former Smiths songwriter’s most instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitar and gloomy keyboard melodies, but they’re presented with a new depth that is distant yet inviting.

Last edited by a moderator:
His best song in years. Maybe even better than his The The songs. His next album just might be amazing. I'm spoiled this year: The Cure deluxe version of Mixed Up, new Suede album in September, and probably other stuff I don't know about yet.

p.s. he's ripped off his own song 'There Is A Light' but I guess that's ok ;)

Nice guitars, great sound but dull melody and vocals. As usual. And this is his third solo album. I believe that, at this stage, he will never surprise me anymore.
I think this is his best singing so far in his career.

Fantastic riposte :)
Morrissey's lyrics have been as dull as dishwater for the last 20 years at least. And that's without wading through the paranoid farrightwingery.

Bungalow
Dungalow, if you think the lyrics to Jack The Ripper are crap then you're deaf. Oh wait that was 1992. Fek. What about 'Now my heart is full'? 1994. Double fek.

"The song loosely follows the overarching concept of the next record, which is informed by an alternate utopian reality, even as Marr looks ahead at a dystopian future. It calls back to some of the former Smiths songwriter’s most instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitar and gloomy keyboard melodies, but they’re presented with a new depth that is distant yet inviting."

:tears:
More drama from Drama Johnny.:drama:

The sucky record is about the utopian reality AND the dystopian future, both at the same time,
plus the Tracers, that move through both dystopia and utopia.:popcorn:

He nicks his own song, but does so in the service of saving the Universe.:sleeping:

Whoever directed that video is gonna have a great career in films. Simple but great.

Just started listening to Patti Smith's 'Wave' album now to hear Dancing Barefoot. The first song 'frederick' first words are 'Hi Hello'.

Decent musically but I don't think he has what Morrissey does vocally and lyrically. Just doesn't stand out for me.

In my opinion......

The only ONLY Johnny Marr song that could make it was called:

Down On The Corner

This is the ONLY song that has great guitars and one that also REALLY (desperately) needs a decent vocal
as well as a set of - better - lyrics. The chorus/melody are great instrumentals. But these parts are sadly lacking. One wishes one could hand it over to someone, for it to "become" a classic. Instead it's just ordinary and has been left on a pile of truly mediocre songs. And I love Johnny Marr's guitars. It's just not happening for me vocally or lyrically, sad to say. But, each to his own.

Hazard
x

In my opinion......

The only ONLY Johnny Marr song that could make it was called:

Down On The Corner

This is the ONLY song that has great guitars and one that also REALLY (desperately) needs a decent vocal
as well as a set of - better - lyrics. The chorus/melody are great instrumentals. But these parts are sadly lacking. One wishes one could hand it over to someone, for it to "become" a classic. Instead it's just ordinary and has been left on a pile of truly mediocre songs. And I love Johnny Marr's guitars. It's just not happening for me vocally or lyrically, sad to say. But, each to his own.

Hazard
x

I feel the same way with Johnny, all of the ingredients are there but the front man thing. Nothing wrong with that, my other favourite guitarist Mick Ronson tried it but was better as an ace guitarist behind proper frontmen too.

Looks like the gazebo parts were filmed in Broadfield Park, Rochdale and the temple looks like the one in Heaton Park.

Broadfield Park, Rochdale, Greater Manchester, England.

:straightface:

Attachments

• Broadfield Park, Rochdale, Greater Manchester, England.JPG
    Broadfield Park, Rochdale, Greater Manchester, England.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 0
Dungalow, if you think the lyrics to Jack The Ripper are crap then you're deaf. Oh wait that was 1992. Fek. What about 'Now my heart is full'? 1994. Double fek.

Ha! I feel like we do need to go back a bit ... but I thought the lyrics to "Come Back to Camden" were quite beautiful and some other songs on Quarry. Bright spots here and there since then.

Last edited:
Wow. This review is digging pretty deep. Trying to find meaning in the lyrics. Or something. It’s quite New Orderesque. Great music paired with really trite, shitty lyrics about “all kinds of stuff, maybe?”.

Wow. This review is digging pretty deep. Trying to find meaning in the lyrics. Or something. It’s quite New Orderesque. Great music paired with really trite, shitty lyrics about “all kinds of stuff, maybe?”.

In an interview on BBC6 this morning, Johnny mentioned the lyrics were about someone he really loves. I think it might be about his son, who also plays in a band. If you look at the lyrics that way, a parent singing to/about a child, it is quite touching.

I love Johnny. I mean...I love Johnny. But am I hearing a different song to everyone else? Smiths quality? It's repetitive, the vocals are too high, they have no melody. The music resembles "There Is A Light.." but the song is not in the same league. I preferred The Tracers song!

Come back to Camden. Symphonies. Pigsty. Smiler. Home is a ?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom