Johnny Marr new single "Hi Hello" calls back to 'instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitars'

just awesome song. Chills.

Link posted by Surface:

Johnny Marr Says 'Hi Hello' to the Old Style in New Single, Video: Exclusive - Billboard

Excerpt:

Johnny Marr is making a reintroduction to a new world on his latest single “Hi Hello” from his forthcoming third solo record Call The Comet.

‘It was one of the songs that just fell into my hands and mind as I was playing,” Marr tells Billboard. “The tune evoked something natural so I just followed it and it felt like I had to sing something personal, something we might all feel about someone sometime.”

The song loosely follows the overarching concept of the next record, which is informed by an alternate utopian reality, even as Marr looks ahead at a dystopian future. It calls back to some of the former Smiths songwriter’s most instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitar and gloomy keyboard melodies, but they’re presented with a new depth that is distant yet inviting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decent musically but I don't think he has what Morrissey does vocally and lyrically. Just doesn't stand out for me.
johnboy couldn't reach a high note if his life depended on it.

I love Johnny. I mean...I love Johnny. But am I hearing a different song to everyone else? Smiths quality? It's repetitive, the vocals are too high, they have no melody. The music resembles "There Is A Light.." but the song is not in the same league. I preferred The Tracers song!

It's good musically but, to me, it's one of those songs where you wait for something to happen but it never does. You can argue about Moz' work back and forth, wether it be his music or his books, but you will find every single aspect of his personality there, somewhere. It can be frustrating but ultimately it's a good thing. As Moz himself said many times "I'm just myself, for better or worse". Johnny, for example, is quite funny but you won't find it in his work where he is too serious for his own good.

I love Johnny. I mean...I love Johnny. But am I hearing a different song to everyone else? Smiths quality? It's repetitive, the vocals are too high, they have no melody. The music resembles "There Is A Light.." but the song is not in the same league. I preferred The Tracers song!

It's good musically but, to me, it's one of those songs where you wait for something to happen but it never does. You can argue about Moz' work back and forth, wether it be his music or his books, but you will find every single aspect of his personality there, somewhere. It can be frustrating but ultimately it's a good thing. As Moz himself said many times "I'm just myself, for better or worse". Johnny, for example, is quite funny but you won't find it in his work where he is too serious for his own good.

I feel the same way. I was sure it was going to break into something interesting at the chorus, but it just never does. It's nice to hear echoes of The Smiths, and yes, he is singing better than he used to, but it's not enough, for me. Also the lyrics are so bland and just wash over you - there's no conviction, he could be singing about what he had for breakfast. I feel mean saying this because I really wanted it to be good, and it seems to have made other people very happy.

I think people are getting a bit too excited over the jangly nature of the song. I prefer this sound of Marrs' to some of his filler stuff on previous albums. But yes it is a bit repetitive and about two minutes too long. But I'll take this style of his over songs like Generate Generate and Back In The Box. At least this is more in the vein of New Town Velocity and European Me.

"All Right" came first. "Alright" came later as a (lazier) American form that has only more recently been added to the dictionary.

"The form alright as a one-word spelling of the phrase all right in all of its senses probably arose by analogy with such words as already and altogether. Although alright is a common spelling in written dialogue and in other types of informal writing, all right is used in more formal, edited writing."

Smooth as snake shit :guitar:
Watch and learn Jesse and yer stupid coming face :mock:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Johnny has stuck at his solo career and this is the first one that's really appealed to me. His singing is much better, he sounds more confident and believable somehow. I've always thought the Ronno comparison a valid one, maybe this proves Mick should have pressed on ?

Last edited:
johnboy couldn't reach a high note if his life depended on it.

Nevermind Morrissey hasn't produced a catchy vocal hook since 2004 (and they were already dwindling in number).

The Tracers, Easy Money, The Messenger, New Town Velocity, Generate Generate, and now Hi Hello are way catchier and more memorable than anything the paranoid Loonie Far Righter has produced since You Are The Quarry.

Bungalow

This lyric you quoted is actually very good ...why was he asked to leave?

Are you seriously asking?
But of course, as part of the ongoing Mega Conspiracy Against Morrissey, what else!

Bungalow

So this is what you get when “There Is A Light...” has the vocal melody of “Seven Nation Army”...

So this is what you get when “There Is A Light...” has the vocal melody of “Seven Nation Army”...

I hear Seven Nation Army in the first verse, definitely. I wouldn't say it stinks, I would just say that it's an obvious attempt at being Smithsy to make people take note who otherwise might not.

"All Right" came first. "Alright" came later as a (lazier) American form that has only more recently been added to the dictionary.

"The form alright as a one-word spelling of the phrase all right in all of its senses probably arose by analogy with such words as already and altogether. Although alright is a common spelling in written dialogue and in other types of informal writing, all right is used in more formal, edited writing."

Although? Or all though? Or though?
Just asking. :)

Back
Top Bottom