Johnny Marr new single "Hi Hello" calls back to 'instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitars'

just awesome song. Chills.

Link posted by Surface:

Johnny Marr Says 'Hi Hello' to the Old Style in New Single, Video: Exclusive - Billboard

Excerpt:

Johnny Marr is making a reintroduction to a new world on his latest single “Hi Hello” from his forthcoming third solo record Call The Comet.

‘It was one of the songs that just fell into my hands and mind as I was playing,” Marr tells Billboard. “The tune evoked something natural so I just followed it and it felt like I had to sing something personal, something we might all feel about someone sometime.”

The song loosely follows the overarching concept of the next record, which is informed by an alternate utopian reality, even as Marr looks ahead at a dystopian future. It calls back to some of the former Smiths songwriter’s most instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitar and gloomy keyboard melodies, but they’re presented with a new depth that is distant yet inviting.

Last edited by a moderator:
A rather boring song. And I'm sorry if I'm being disrespectful. I used to admire some of Mr. Marr's solo permittations but this song is far from his domains or what we could describe as acceptable.
Where's the man who once created 'Hand in Glove', 'The Queen is Dead', 'How Soon is Now?'? Looks like a money-maker idea. Why is he trying to shamelessly recreate 'There is a Light...'? Okay that's a song that belongs to him but isn't there anything new to invent? Very sad.
I get what you're saying but Marr has had his moment of pure brilliance with The Smiths. I don't see any point in waiting for him to top or even match his previous excellence. The man who created those songs you listed is only half of the art. He needed Morrissey for those songs to happen and vice versa. Without Morrissey meeting Marr those songs would never have existed. Marr is no lyricist and Morrissey is not a guitarist. The Smiths is not going to happen again. The best you're going to get from Marr is some great guitar playing with average vocals and average lyrics. I'm okay with that. He's a genius no matter what he does in the future. I'm just glad he's still making music. He is fantastic live too.

Last edited:
Just back from seeing Johnny debut a lot of the album in Dublin, some great stuff in there... couple of dodgy ones too. Can't wait to hear the album.

7 Smiths songs performed so I'm hearing.

Johnny restoring some decency to the Smiths legacy. Wonder if Andy will join him in NYC for Headmaster? May 31. Cant wait!

Good Call on Dancing Barefoot. Definitely.

The strings at 1:42 totally remind me of the ending of "Dancing Barefoot" -- exact same melody as the "oh God I fell for you" line.

Nothing wrong with that. Just an observation. I like the song.

Drama J did 7 Moz songs to go with a few of the Comet 'songs'.:confused:
By the time of the NYC show it will be all Moz songs.:squiffy:
Not a particularly well attended show from all reports.

Johnny restoring some decency to the Smiths legacy. Wonder if Andy will join him in NYC for Headmaster? May 31. Cant wait!
Boy-O has been constant in his respect for and presentation of said legacy. His band are top. They throw it all in and excel in doing so. All hair colouring comments and pre-school caliber begrudging aside, the soundscapes he creates are outstanding. ...and the sound and energy at a Johnny Marr show is pretty f***ing magical.

I like Johnnys singing voice with his music now and that took a couple of years to say. I am his age and see the deep lines forming in my face. I'm good with looking 55. Some people don't live to comb grey hair. He should be profoundly proud and happy. This song soars through space.

Nevermind Morrissey hasn't produced a catchy vocal hook since 2004 (and they were already dwindling in number).

The Tracers, Easy Money, The Messenger, New Town Velocity, Generate Generate, and now Hi Hello are way catchier and more memorable than anything the paranoid Loonie Far Righter has produced since You Are The Quarry.

Bungalow
dont talk absolute crap.away and dye your hair like your hero.

lets face it whatever johnboy puts out will be lauded on here whereas whatever M puts out will always be criticised.hi hello would rather listen to the chicken song from Eurovision.

Last edited:

I have read the posts here and I have to say I love it! What a great tune. I couldn't care less about his hair color, but what struck me more was the symbolism of him carrying his guitar case. It was like him portraying his years of walking from band to band and then sitting on the park bench as if waiting for the next big opportunity that might be to come (Smiths reunion...ha ha), but then he is running with his guitar case realizing the end is near and still open to a new beginning. I like Johnny.

I have never really listened to his music, but he deserves a fair shake for all he has been through and continues to work on his craft. I don't find his singing terrible, but what a great tune...if only I could hear Morrissey singing over it what a joy it would be. If instead of working together, they could come to some arrangement where the music would be sent to him to record over that would be great, but singing someone else's lyrics...never! So that is that.

7 Smiths songs performed so I'm hearing.

From memory:
How Soon
Please Please
Last Night
There Is A Light
You Just Haven't Earned
Big Mouth
Headmaster

Quite nice to hear so many and while it wasn't Moz's voice, Johnny did a great job on them. It's only when you hear them played live by Johnny and co. you truly realise how bad Moz's current crew are.

Setlist was cut short because of technical issues with Johnny's guitar(s) so 2 songs were dropped from the encore.

Last edited:
From last night:
You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby.

Please....

TIALTNGO.

All credit to John K. on YT.
Regards,
FWD.

From last night:
You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby.

Please....

TIALTNGO.

All credit to John K. on YT.
Regards,
FWD.

So great to hear You Just Haven't Earned it Yet, one of my absolute favourite Smiths songs. I have the Kirsty MacColl album Kite with her version on, which is brilliant. Can't believe she's been gone nearly 18 years.

Look at this from last night. AMAZING!!
and his voice has got much better, regardless of what some people here say.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom