Johnny Marr new single "Hi Hello" calls back to 'instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitars'

just awesome song. Chills.

Link posted by Surface:

Johnny Marr Says 'Hi Hello' to the Old Style in New Single, Video: Exclusive - Billboard

Excerpt:

Johnny Marr is making a reintroduction to a new world on his latest single “Hi Hello” from his forthcoming third solo record Call The Comet.

‘It was one of the songs that just fell into my hands and mind as I was playing,” Marr tells Billboard. “The tune evoked something natural so I just followed it and it felt like I had to sing something personal, something we might all feel about someone sometime.”

The song loosely follows the overarching concept of the next record, which is informed by an alternate utopian reality, even as Marr looks ahead at a dystopian future. It calls back to some of the former Smiths songwriter’s most instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitar and gloomy keyboard melodies, but they’re presented with a new depth that is distant yet inviting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical issues, many problems with the guitar.:drama:
How Drama J like. Encore cut short because of "technical issues" not
because of lack of response by the couple of hundred punters in attendance.
Outside of that he went with the Moz songs, using his gurgle vocals to render
them barely recognizable.:popcorn: Uncanny ability. Uncanny hair too, not
one hair has moved from his last appearance in the dystopia video.:drama:
(a neck tattoo? Drama J, what next? Wearing a backpack on stage?)

Moz must have an earache after listening to these gurgling versions of his songs.:hearnoevil:

Johnny's musicianship is as excellent as always.

His singing isn't bad, but it does lack personality imo.

I agree with this. It’s a thing I see with a lot of guitar players turned singers. It takes more than just hitting the notes to be a good pop singer/front man. Imo though in these songs his voice has more personality than before and it seems like he’s trying to be a bit more expressive in ways that aren’t just being energetic

lets face it whatever johnboy puts out will be lauded on here whereas whatever M puts out will always be criticised.hi hello would rather listen to the chicken song from Eurovision.

Well on the one hand you've got mr Marr, aka the king of cool guitar pop proving he still can come up with a nice tune and who, might I add, still looks absolutely fine.

On the other hand, you've got a man trying to sell us Israel for reasons I can't fathom. A country that has just won the Eurovision by trying to make us believe that Beth Ditto's less gifted cousin swallowed a clown, La Roux and Sean Paul and vomited the lot in our ears. And with the technicolour yawn video to match. Don't watch this straight after lunch or like me you'll regret it.

Dunno what Israel is up to but I want no part of it. I was neither for or against Israel before. I'm sure there are nice intelligent people there somewhere but now too much is enough. It started with a shit sleeve and now this. Apart from Morrissey and Israel , nobody is interested in winning the Bad Taste competition.

Countries that had decent songs didn't win, but decency rarely wins. Still, like Johnny, decency looks A LOT better than...well I don't know what to call that thing.

The bearded bloke that dressed like a lady a while ago also made me lose my lunch, but at least he had class.

Johnny's videos are always squirm-inducing for some reason. It's the way he tries so hard to look "cool", I think. He doesn't need to. He should just be himself. Someone here said Morrissey's Spent the Day In Bed video was a parody of one of Johnny's, but I don't know his stuff too well so I don't know which. Maybe the really bad Money, Money one.

Seriously?
A Morrissey adept calling an other artist's videos "squirm inducing"??????????????????
Ha ha ha ha!

Bungalow

I️ simply can’t understand why some have so much childish resentment to Marr and his post Smiths music. Move on people. Look for a more meaningful to focus your pent up anger issues on. Fine if you don’t like his music but why drone on and on about it when others clearly have a different opinion.

Technical issues, many problems with the guitar.:drama:
How Drama J like. Encore cut short because of "technical issues" not
because of lack of response by the couple of hundred punters in attendance.
Outside of that he went with the Moz songs, using his gurgle vocals to render
them barely recognizable.:popcorn: Uncanny ability. Uncanny hair too, not
one hair has moved from his last appearance in the dystopia video.:drama:
(a neck tattoo? Drama J, what next? Wearing a backpack on stage?)

Moz must have an earache after listening to these gurgling versions of his songs.:hearnoevil:
And your throat must be sore after gurgling on Morrissey's testicles, but here you are...

Does anyone here understand Islamic? If so can you translate Drama J lyrics to the first two drama:drama: infused Call the Comet singles, so we can figure out what EXACTLY is going on with this
utopia/dystopia bollocks? The gurgling may simply be his Islamic chanting style. :turban:

Seriously?
A Morrissey adept calling an other artist's videos "squirm inducing"??????????????????
Ha ha ha ha!

Bungalow

Moz knew early on that music videos weren't his thing so he decided to have a good laugh about. Not comparable with Johnny's videos.

Kinda sounds like a mix of "Well I Wonder" & "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out".

Moz knew early on that music videos weren't his thing so he decided to have a good laugh about. Not comparable with Johnny's videos.
Yeah but why is/was that? He should have really amazing videos consistently. He has the interest in vintage photography and depth in old movies. He’s also visually striking himself. Why couldn’t he put together a team to create some amazing videos?

Are you seriously asking?
But of course, as part of the ongoing Mega Conspiracy Against Morrissey, what else!

Bungalow

Yes, I was asking...it's interesting to read a lyric off the boundaries of its more obvious surface. He's telling a story here. It's up to us to try to come up with a why to he's being asked to leave...was it already too late and he too drunk? Had he done something wrong? Has he stayed all night waiting for someone to love him? If so, that does engage on a dialogue between this song and How Soon Is Now. Decades on, he's still going home alone...

Because he kept pestering young male patrons. Nobody minded, until one night somebody reported him for threatening a young man who had refused to tie his shoelaces for him, as he went to far and screamed he'd "write a song about that! Just you wait!"

There was also the night when he asked several people to call Johnny on their mobiles so he could ask him to send his favourite crisps because he couldn't find them here and the local food was "subfood" . That night he also insisted on being the d.j. and puked on Damon, right after asking him to "play the clarinet in public for once!!"

He's very popular in Tel Aviv.

Yes, maybe...it's interesting to read between the lines.

Yes, I was asking...it's interesting to read a lyric off the boundaries of its more obvious surface. He's telling a story here. It's up to us to try to come up with a why to he's being asked to leave...was it already too late and he too drunk? Had he done something wrong? Has he stayed all night waiting for someone to love him? If so, that does engage on a dialogue between this song and How Soon Is Now. Decades on, he's still going home alone...

The authorities asked him to move on or else be arrested for loitering.
Hes walking with the guitar case to the parking lot where the Uber is waiting.:thumb:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom