Johnny Marr new single "Hi Hello" calls back to 'instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitars'

just awesome song. Chills.

Link posted by Surface:

Johnny Marr Says 'Hi Hello' to the Old Style in New Single, Video: Exclusive - Billboard

Excerpt:

Johnny Marr is making a reintroduction to a new world on his latest single “Hi Hello” from his forthcoming third solo record Call The Comet.

‘It was one of the songs that just fell into my hands and mind as I was playing,” Marr tells Billboard. “The tune evoked something natural so I just followed it and it felt like I had to sing something personal, something we might all feel about someone sometime.”

The song loosely follows the overarching concept of the next record, which is informed by an alternate utopian reality, even as Marr looks ahead at a dystopian future. It calls back to some of the former Smiths songwriter’s most instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitar and gloomy keyboard melodies, but they’re presented with a new depth that is distant yet inviting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because he blew all of his money and a third of the clientele?

It depends on the club but that sounds like a reason to ask him to stay, I guess.
But “stay”doesn’t rhyme at Aviv, as “leave” does. :rolleyes:

Bravo, Drama Johnny! It takes a special talent to nick half a dozen classic songs turning them into one catastrophic sucky track!:clap:
Well done, DJ!

And the little gazebo, what a nice touch!
(Im guessing no budget for a curtain to cover the back of the silly gazebo. I dont know of any dystopia with so many luxury buildings still standing)
:swear Nor do I expect to have Clairol available at the dystopia store.

Drama Johnnys nicked rock opera says: utopia good, dystopia not good.:drama:

I really find it so strange the anger folks have here towards Johnny Marr. I think it’s because he is a gentleman who is very likeable. Where Morrissey is a complete knob. It used to be his music was so great that his knobI-ness could be avoided. But when his music failed and his desperate media stunts increased, what we are left with is a jerk who puts out bad records.

Happy Johnny Marr is thriving on his terms in 2018

This lyric you quoted is actually very good ...why was he asked to leave?

Because he kept pestering young male patrons. Nobody minded, until one night somebody reported him for threatening a young man who had refused to tie his shoelaces for him, as he went to far and screamed he'd "write a song about that! Just you wait!"

There was also the night when he asked several people to call Johnny on their mobiles so he could ask him to send his favourite crisps because he couldn't find them here and the local food was "subfood" . That night he also insisted on being the d.j. and puked on Damon, right after asking him to "play the clarinet in public for once!!"

He's very popular in Tel Aviv.

This new Drama Johnny song is reminiscent, very similar, to the Bob Wills song "Bubbles in My Beer". :guitar:

Bravo, Drama Johnny! It takes a special talent to nick half a dozen classic songs turning them into one catastrophic sucky track!:clap:
Well done, DJ!
^Got Q-Tips? Ear Candles? Perhaps a fire-hose?

Yours are the ramblings of a deaf, dejected simpleton, who’s ears are fully entramelled with fecal matter, resultant of an extended residence up Morrissey’s anus.

Call the Comet! :)

Portland, Oregon's own and B-Baller John Maher trying to sound like The Byrds again. Can't you foreigners get your own guitar sound to steal from? No wonder why Malibu Steve will never play with him again.
Err... you do realise that The Byrds were inspired by a little English group called The Beatles? Including the misspelling of their name. You’re probably unaware as you think the world stops with America.

Directed by Mat Bancroft and Johnny Marr

Johnny's videos are always squirm-inducing for some reason. It's the way he tries so hard to look "cool", I think. He doesn't need to. He should just be himself. Someone here said Morrissey's Spent the Day In Bed video was a parody of one of Johnny's, but I don't know his stuff too well so I don't know which. Maybe the really bad Money, Money one.

Because he kept pestering young male patrons. Nobody minded, until one night somebody reported him for threatening a young man who had refused to tie his shoelaces for him, as he went to far and screamed he'd "write a song about that! Just you wait!"

There was also the night when he asked several people to call Johnny on their mobiles so he could ask him to send his favourite crisps because he couldn't find them here and the local food was "subfood" . That night he also insisted on being the d.j. and puked on Damon, right after asking him to "play the clarinet in public for once!!"

He's very popular in Tel Aviv.

Who says satire is dead?

It depends on the club but that sounds like a reason to ask him to stay, I guess.

Knowing him, he doesn't do that kind of things for free. He must charge people a hell of a lot more than for ugly t.shirts. Yes, maybe he's got a deal with a club owner, like, he gives them 15 % of the money and eveybody's happy.
Morrissey has a head for business that's for sure.

Back to Johnny. I haven't read his bio but I'd be surprised if he had ever been asked to leave a nightclub in Tel Aviv.
A chip shop in Sheffield, yeah, maybe, when he was younger...

Yours are the ramblings of a deaf, dejected simpleton, who’s ears are fully entramelled with fecal matter, resultant of an extended residence up Morrissey’s anus.

"Entrammelled?" Drama Johnny, putting your Patti Smith albums to good use , I see!! That word is off
Radio Ethiopia!!!:clap:

What a great idea, Johnny, seeking refuge in a gazebo, that way there will be no innocent victims
when the Tracers and you and your mates collide.:drama: If I were you I would blast the Tracers
with those super sucky albums you made with Bernard from NO. That will make them run backwards.:swear

Johnny's videos are always squirm-inducing for some reason. It's the way he tries so hard to look "cool", I think. He doesn't need to. He should just be himself. Someone here said Morrissey's Spent the Day In Bed video was a parody of one of Johnny's, but I don't know his stuff too well so I don't know which. Maybe the really bad Money, Money one.
Far be it appropriate for an absolute clown, cartoon parody of a man (see Morrissey) to take the piss out of anyone, let alone one of the only people that’s EVER made him relevant as a musical entity.

Who says satire is dead?

Well, don't know about satire, but satyr isn't, if you believe clubbers in Israel...:brows: Or people who take a stroll late at night in Rome...
He told us himself after all. We're just, er, expanding.

Or at least pass the Comet brand cleanser to Veggietales over there. It could assist in cleaning the ears.

Call the Comet!!:drama:
:handpointright::mobilecalling::handpointleft:Use the mobile,DJ!!! Tell it to do the Epicurean swerve and save us, Drama Johnny.

Its going to be a major event, this science fiction sucky gurgly DJM album.:handfist:

A rather boring song. And I'm sorry if I'm being disrespectful. I used to admire some of Mr. Marr's solo permittations but this song is far from his domains or what we could describe as acceptable.
Where's the man who once created 'Hand in Glove', 'The Queen is Dead', 'How Soon is Now?'? Looks like a money-maker idea. Why is he trying to shamelessly recreate 'There is a Light...'? Okay that's a song that belongs to him but isn't there anything new to invent? Very sad.

"All Right" came first. "Alright" came later as a (lazier) American form that has only more recently been added to the dictionary.

"The form alright as a one-word spelling of the phrase all right in all of its senses probably arose by analogy with such words as already and altogether. Although alright is a common spelling in written dialogue and in other types of informal writing, all right is used in more formal, edited writing."
You're alwrong.

Just back from seeing Johnny debut a lot of the album in Dublin, some great stuff in there... couple of dodgy ones too. Can't wait to hear the album.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom