Johnny Marr's son calls Morrissey a racist on Instagram

EgY7B7-XkAA1LVk

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Legacy is kind of a different thing though - it's not about sales in their day, it's about how iconic they are.

I asked my two nephews this evening. They have never heard of The Smiths and have no idea who Morrissey is. They have also never heard of The Cure or Depeche Mode. They have heard of the Pet Shop Boys, New Order and Electronic.

This is two youngsters in their 20s from 2 different houses. I asked them to also ask their friends and none had heard of The Smiths except one friend who said his dad knew of them.

I think it all depends on the age group and parents and peers but I wasn’t surprised to be honest. Legacy is in the eye of the beholder.

The way I read the The The book was that Marr would've gone to The The if RT hadn't taken up The Smiths demo tape. According to Marr, he agreed to join if he could get to London. I quoted Marr's exact words up the page.
I know that he agreed to join them, but he didn't for financial reason. That was in summer 1981, a year before he even met Moz. I don't think Matt Johnson was still waiting for Johnny to join him when Morrissey entered his life.

After meeting Johnson, Johnny continued to play with Freak Party and became increasingly frustrated and was actively looking for a co-songwriter and singer in Manchester.

Edit: when Johnny knocked on Morrissey's door in summer 1982, Matt Johnson was in New York recording material for The The's Soul Mining...

Last edited:
For every good track they had, they had a terrible dance track to weaken their discography. I liked the good stuff they done but the dancey stuff meant you were skipping half their albums which obviously ain't great. I do believe they're a bit of a forgotten band that nobody really misses.

It was a dance electronic influenced band so to say they had dance tracks on their albums is a bit shocking lol. They have a big following and lots of people are hoping they are going to reunite and seems likely from recent activity.

I asked my two nephews this evening. They have never heard of The Smiths and have no idea who Morrissey is. They have also never heard of The Cure or Depeche Mode. They have heard of the Pet Shop Boys, New Order and Electronic.

This is two youngsters in their 20s from 2 different houses. I asked them to also ask their friends and none had heard of The Smiths except one friend who said his dad knew of them.

I think it all depends on the age group and parents and peers but I wasn’t surprised to be honest. Legacy is in the eye of the beholder.
You sum up well just why some like those bands so few seem to know about which also shows that music isn't as popular or important as some people believe and people who made it in life are never into any kind of music.
There is no reason for young people of another generation to know about those bands and it was the same for our generation who were fed the big mainstream bands by media and people older than us which in itself made us discover other bands and artists creating our own world.
But it seems to me the important people in arts and edgy media were all into those bands and artists so few know about and almost daily now references turn up everywhere and the masses are left clueless except for me and a few others and that beats belonging to some mainstream fanbase.

Yes and If people believe that Morrissey is NOT racist then they are also entitled to say so. What the f*** is your point? Again, no one is preventing Nile from typing words into his social media apps.

My point is that none of the posts have been about whether Morrissey is racist or not. They have purely been personal attacks of why Nile Marr should not be posting what his view is and that he should be grateful to Moz and that he is a non-entity.

And those points are pathetic

That is the point

They sound slightly weird. It's not really in the beholder though - you can measure it in the culture. Where are the Electronic references in films, t.v., radio? What hashtags have they been part of, where has their music been featured, what stories do people know about them, how often do you see their pictures or videos, what hits can people name, how many documentaries, biographies etc etc.

Electronic were boring beyond words and never took off and even Peter Hook's side project Monaco managed to create more in one song than Electronic did on their entire production. If Electronic had his bass they would have been huge.

Monaco are really awful

They sound slightly weird. It's not really in the beholder though - you can measure it in the culture. Where are the Electronic references in films, t.v., radio? What hashtags have they been part of, where has their music been featured, what stories do people know about them, how often do you see their pictures or videos, what hits can people name, how many documentaries, biographies etc etc.

Why are they Wierd? I asked them because once I did a lecture in a sixth form college about cultural identity and I also asked that group of about 60 17 year olds similar questions. None has heard of The Smiths or Morrissey.

Try it yourself. Ask random kids in their teenage years or 20s and you will probably get the same answer.

Culture changes and don’t be surprised when kids haven’t a clue about who your cultural links are or you not knowing who their’s are.

I will put money on it that in 50 years or less there won’t be many people who know who The Smiths were.

The Smiths didn’t surprise me. They knew who The Stones were, The Beatles, Bowie, Nirvana, the usual ones but most of 80s indie miss them by as has Brit Pop etc.

Monaco are really awful

🤒
brutally bad. hardcore sucko music. and with a pompous name, "Monaco". FFS why not call it "Liechenstein":rolleyes:
A dude with tats all over himself including his calf, calling his sucky music band "Monaco":mad:
However, nothing is quite as bad as Comet music. Frogs flee from it.:frogface:

Why are they Wierd? I asked them because once I did a lecture in a sixth form college about cultural identity and I also asked that group of about 60 17 year olds similar questions. None has heard of The Smiths or Morrissey.

Try it yourself. Ask random kids in their teenage years or 20s and you will probably get the same answer.

Culture changes and don’t be surprised when kids haven’t a clue about who your cultural links are or you not knowing who their’s are.

I will put money on it that in 50 years or less there won’t be many people who know who The Smiths were.

The Smiths didn’t surprise me. They knew who The Stones were, The Beatles, Bowie, Nirvana, the usual ones but most of 80s indie miss them by as has Brit Pop etc.

I wasn't around in The Smiths era. It was my drama teacher who got me into Morrissey when we were doing A Taste Of Honey.

A lot of artists love/are raging at Moz so I hear about him a lot. He'll likely turn up somewhere in the culture forever because of that alone.

In what way does he think he is clever?
Well his smarty pants response to name your favourite Smiths song, he thinks that's clever when its clearly idiotic. He'll have been chortling away to himself like a naughty schoolboy.

Nile Marr is a non-entity shouting into a dispassionate void in hope of desperate recognition
🤒
sad but very true.
there is one dork saying that LePew can make lyrics.:rolleyes:

lets quickly examine some of his 'better' lyricial work, here we go:

"hello hello hello hi hi hi hello hi"
next line>
"hi hi hello hi hello hello hi hell'
beautiful:straightface: now for the next line>
"hi hello hi hello hi hello hi hi hi"
wow that was the best line yet:lbf:

It was a dance electronic influenced band so to say they had dance tracks on their albums is a bit shocking lol. They have a big following and lots of people are hoping they are going to reunite and seems likely from recent activity.
The point I'm making is the popular songs that were their biggest hits were classic pop using guitars and keyboards and were very good. These songs drew the fans in, buying their albums etc but Electronic's albums had two sides to them, some great tracks plus some shockingly bad filler. They weren't successful because of the lazy, half arsed dancey stuff were they?

Have to say Forbidden City is a cracking single, that to me is what Electronic should have been and they have other songs just as good but to my ears anyway they just didn't have enough tracks in that mould. Almost like Johnny himself, he's probably got one really good album out of his three most recent solo albums.

Monaco are really awful
I beg to differ and it is purely down to the bass but Hooky also had a great voice for the songs where he was singing and the other guy has a great voice too. Very underrated band or side project as I prefer to call it and it just goes to show the talent of Hooky but he was always too alpha male for the indie soyboys to stomach. Hard to believe Hooky is not an american ex veteran or something like that and he's very different from other english musicians on every level.

My point is that none of the posts have been about whether Morrissey is racist or not. They have purely been personal attacks of why Nile Marr should not be posting what his view is and that he should be grateful to Moz and that he is a non-entity.

And those points are pathetic

That is the point
Those who view Moz as racist will always do so as they have been programmed to think that way as soon as someone has a different opinion. This whole thing is not about racism but about attitude problems that has everything to do with lack of education and a bad upbringing where an absent father or a very violent set the agenda for those people when they were kids.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom