Jonah Hill is best friends with Morrissey (anecdote) - Tonight Show / Jimmy Fallon

Hardly. That video is current. ...and like music - present day, millenial skateboard culture bears ZERO resemblance to that which once was. Much like Morrissey's pale, bloated, over-entitled current state.

Suicidal Tendencies, Dinosaur Jr., RHCP, Black Flag, Sonic Youth. Those are the bands you've heard of that most skaters listened to at the apex of skate culture. I like them all. I like a lot of music.

...but the boys at the ramp in 1987 laughed at me for wearing my Queen is Dead t-shirt and called me a f***** for liking the Smiths.

I got mocked out.
They got knocked out.

You're perfectly entitled to froth at the mouth over this comment and mark it as trolling. ...but that only illustrates the already well known fact that NONE of you were there. None of you lippy little twits have a f***ing clue. Most of you weren't even born.

Put a sock in it.

The level of web-educated, ass-talking, couch-dwelling, shit-stain garbage around here is f***ing hysterical.

they never know the skateboarders like Morrissey. Spanky will like a hug from Morrissey.

Hardly. That video is current. ...and like music - present day, millenial skateboard culture bears ZERO resemblance to that which once was. Much like Morrissey's pale, bloated, over-entitled current state.

Suicidal Tendencies, Dinosaur Jr., RHCP, Black Flag, Sonic Youth. Those are the bands you've heard of that most skaters listened to at the apex of skate culture. I like them all. I like a lot of music.

...but the boys at the ramp in 1987 laughed at me for wearing my Queen is Dead t-shirt and called me a f***** for liking the Smiths.

I got mocked out.
They got knocked out.

You're perfectly entitled to froth at the mouth over this comment and mark it as trolling. ...but that only illustrates the already well known fact that NONE of you were there. None of you lippy little twits have a f***ing clue. Most of you weren't even born.

Put a sock in it.

The level of web-educated, ass-talking, couch-dwelling, shit-stain garbage around here is f***ing hysterical.

Translation: It was better in my day.

Yeah alright, grandad...

I remember back when the NME had that poll and it came out that The Smiths were the most influential band of all time. That might have been a stretch but when I see these types of clips where celebrities gush over Morrissey I think you could make a case for Morrissey being the most influential artist of the last 50 years. maybe Bowie and possible Dylan are his only challengers. It never fails to amaze me how often Morrissey is referenced, not just in music, but by actors, playwrights, directors, fashion designers, poets, novelists and screenwriters.

It wasn't just because The Smiths and Morrissey made great music it was because Morrissey was perhaps the first (and only) pop figure to usher in his audience to his private world. From the The Smiths sleeves coverstars, to his referencing of Wilde in interviews or the disability aesthetic of Billy Fury's hearing aid Morrissey didn't just create great lyrics he gave you a whole world to delve into and this is why his influence has seeped into so many other parts of popular culture. And if people want to debate who had the bigger influence in The Smiths appeal, was it Morrissey was it Johnny, I'm sorry but it's really no contest. The aesthetic of The Smiths is ALL Morrissey and it's what elevated that band from merely being a great band to being a cultural signifier.

And all the while he maintains his mystique, I assume getting an email from Morrissey is the new millennium equivalent to receiving a postcard from Garbo. You just know that Jonah Hill when logging into his email account frequently logs on to that particular email just to reread it. I don't blame him.

And what makes Morrissey's influence even more astonishing is he has done it without selling even a fraction of the records that Bowie or Dylan have sold.

Anyhoo, just my 2 cents.

I remember back when the NME had that poll and it came out that The Smiths were the most influential band of all time. That might have been a stretch but when I see these types of clips where celebrities gush over Morrissey I think you could make a case for Morrissey being the most influential artist of the last 50 years. maybe Bowie and possible Dylan are his only challengers. It never fails to amaze me how often Morrissey is referenced, not just in music, but by actors, playwrights, directors, fashion designers, poets, novelists and screenwriters.

It wasn't just because The Smiths and Morrissey made great music it was because Morrissey was perhaps the first (and only) pop figure to usher in his audience to his private world. From the The Smiths sleeves coverstars, to his referencing of Wilde in interviews or the disability aesthetic of Billy Fury's hearing aid Morrissey didn't just create great lyrics he gave you a whole world to delve into and this is why his influence has seeped into so many other parts of popular culture. And if people want to debate who had the bigger influence in The Smiths appeal, was it Morrissey was it Johnny, I'm sorry but it's really no contest. The aesthetic of The Smiths is ALL Morrissey and it's what elevated that band from merely being a great band to being a cultural signifier.

And all the while he maintains his mystique, I assume getting an email from Morrissey is the new millennium equivalent to receiving a postcard from Garbo. You just know that Jonah Hill when logging into his email account frequently logs on to that particular email just to reread it. I don't blame him.

And what makes Morrissey's influence even more astonishing is he has done it without selling even a fraction of the records that Bowie or Dylan have sold.

Anyhoo, just my 2 cents.
Sir, you always sum it up so bloody damn good.

My guy Morrissey's got some new shit coming out.
I don't give a f*** about all these Jimmy Fallons and Trent Reznors and Jonah Hills. LOL

What song did he use? In other news I just saw Ant-Man and The Wasp and thought the Morrissey reference was hilarious.

I got mocked out.
They got knocked out.

Put a sock in it.

Mike Vallely and Ed Templeton were always big Moz fans since the 90s. Mark Gonzales (legend) skated to The Smiths in one of his Krooked video parts. Heath Kirchart retired to Morrissey's Speedway. Supreme NYC had Moz as a model for their shirts. Lakai put Moz on their shirts. I saw Ed Templeton at a Moz show... Morrissey has always been in skate culture,

Mike Vallely and Ed Templeton were always big Moz fans since the 90s. Mark Gonzales (legend) skated to The Smiths in one of his Krooked video parts. Heath Kirchart retired to Morrissey's Speedway. Supreme NYC had Moz as a model for their shirts. Lakai put Moz on their shirts. I saw Ed Templeton at a Moz show... Morrissey has always been in skate culture,
Yeah I remember Vallely skating in his Morrissey shirts.

C67011E6-928F-4E74-B994-CC877A7D5E57.jpeg

I wonder if Jonah shares Morrissey's opinion that Hitler was left wing, the victims of Kevin Spacey were asking for it, Farage is a liberal educator, and brown people in the public eye are worth slagging off?
You wrote that yourself? wow congrats dude, really, that's very cool. i just told everyone in my family about it, everybody thinks that's very impressive and asked me to congratulate you. they want to speak to you in person, if possible, to give you their regards. they also said they will tell our distant relatives in christmas supper and in NYE they will ignite fireworks that spell your name. i also told about this enormous deed to closer relatives, they had the same reaction. they asked for your address so they can send congratulatory cards and messages. my friends didn't believe me when i told them i knew the author of this gigantic feat, really, they were dumbstruck, they said they will make your name echo through years and years to come. when my neighbour found out about what you did, he was completely dumbstruck too, he wanted to know who you are and he asked (if you have the time, of course) if you could stop by to receive gifts, congratulations and handshakes. with the spreading of the news, a powerful businessman of the area decided to hire you as the CEO of his company because of this tremendous feat and at the same time an important international shareholder wants to sponsor you to give speeches and teach everybody how to do as you did so the world becomes a better place. you have become famous not only here but also everywhere, everybody knows who you are. the news spread really fast and mayors of all cities are setting up porticos, ballons, colossal boom speakers, anything that can make your name stand out more and see which city can congratulate you the hardest for this magnificent feat.

Skaters only listened to Avril Lavigne even before she had recorded anything or was even born.

Anyhoo, just my 2 cents.

Beautifully expressed and so true. The really sad thing that strikes me, reading this, is that I don't see any of the 'Morrissey' it describes left in the modern man. Morrissey today has no mistique. And the world he wants to draw us into, isn't the one we signed up for.

Then it must be where you came from.

Not true elsewhere, from my experience.
I won't try and argue that skaters in the 90s were primarily interested in Punk and Thrash. It's funny, because a good friend caught a set of trucks to the back for wearing the Salford Lads Club Smiths Shirt. And the open minded skater that hit him was kind enough to throw in some unnecessary homophobia for free. His only sin was the shirt. The assailant was a stranger to him.

I won't try and argue that skaters in the 90s were primarily interested in Punk and Thrash. It's funny, because a good friend caught a set of trucks to the back for wearing the Salford Lads Club Smiths Shirt. And the open minded skater that hit him was kind enough to throw in some unnecessary homophobia for free. His only sin was the shirt. The assailant was a stranger to him.

Primarily interested in punk and thrash various metal yes but morrissey and the smiths did have a place in that scene that his other eighties contemporaries did not

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom