Louder Than War: IANADOAC review - 9 out of 10

IMG_20200220_180707.png

Updated with source of image (JC).
Text is very small, so transcribed it - punctuation (give or take some eye strain) as per the writer.
Regards,
FWD.

Transcribed by myself:

"He who cannot be mentioned is releasing an album. No, not Laurence Fox but Steven Patrick Morrissey, but he'd likely be as controversial on Question Time. If you hadn't noticed, he's a bit of a pariah around these parts. Banished by townsfolk to his LA apartment to think seriously about what he's done and consider before he speaks.
Like that will ever happen. He is a law unto himself and always has been. The dame is not for turning. Well except musically perhaps. Because this, his 13th album (unlucky for some) is quite the left turn.
Dear reader, this writer genuinely believed he'd pressed play on the wrong album because it arrived with a scatter gun synthetic drum beat and keyboard like an early Prodigy record but then in comes that oh so recognisable baritone on 'Jim Jim Falls'. As has become de rigueur, you could take his lyrics about suicide literally however he's never written solely from his own perspective. 'Love Is On Its Way Out' is a little more traditional latter Moz fare, naturally he talks about his favourite subject, animals, and in this case big game trophy hunting.
Lead single 'Bobby, Don't You Think They Know' with co-lead vocals from Mowtown legend Thelma Houston, is a little bloated but has gospel Charlatans-esque organ, roaring guitars and saxaphone.
The title track is perhaps the best thing on it, a sprawling effort, it begins with a verse that you can imagine being a musical number, the protagonist imploring that he's not a dog on a chain and he has his own brain.
Closing track 'My Hurling Days Are Done' harks back to The Smiths lyrical style, as does much of the record, sometimes abstract or metaphorical but with wit and sardonic forked tongue.
Looks can be deceiving but it would appear that Morrissey has gone full circle and returned to the point where his solo career was born, right in the middle of the electropop boom of the mid to late 80's.
The likelihood is that most people won't listen to this record on its merits and there are many, arguably his strongest collection in years. His voice is at its peerless best on his most interesting and diverse songs, possibly ever. Regardless of what you think about him, unless you're steeped in "cancel" culture, give this LP a go.
It will surprise you."

James Auton - Louder Than War.

Last edited:
Despite Auntie Skinny's best efforts Morrissey just keeps on winning!

Meanwhile another year passes as Skinny's 'Ringworm Leader of the Troll's Compendium Of Morrissey Solo Criticism' fails to find a publisher...Keep on Trollin' Tiger!

To be fair, he doesn’t criticise all the time. For example, when he was bopping away in the front row of that show Moz did at the BBC a few years ago.

Anyone going to ask why Joe @‘d in this guy?

Anyone going to ask why Joe @‘d in this guy?
They're a known quantity.
Described as:
"Global Positioning Services Inc. is a full service music management company with offices located in Santa Monica and New York. Our team represents a select roster of record producers, songwriters, mixers, engineers, DJs & recording artists. With an A&R approach to management, our focus is on developing career clients. We provide comprehensive services including day-to-day project coordination, contract negotiation, royalty tracking and collections, invoicing, digital marketing, web and content strategy, social media management and global industry outreach.

Over the last 13 years, our clients have worked with the who’s who of the music industry, winning over 50 Grammy Awards and performing pivotal roles in the sale of millions of albums. Their work has influenced and shaped the sounds of artists spanning from The Killers, Bjork, Kings of Leon, Jay-Z, Morrissey, Michael Jackson, The Lumineers, Weezer, Rolling Stones, Juanes, Paul McCartney, Run The Jewels, Garbage, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Chris Stapleton to name only a few. No matter the project, we have a client who can deliver the record you need."

For more:
https://globalpositioningservices.net/

Regards,
FWD.

Strange the journalist thinks his solo career was born in the mid to late eighties. Morrissey was busy in the mid eighties with another project he may have heard of. As hard as these "journalists" try they always seem to get something wrong that they could've easily gotten right. Is he not familiar with the year Nineteen Eighty Hate?

Which just goes to show if they're that inaccurate and sloppy about stuff like this, they often the same people who usually go on to proudly assert "facts" like Morrissey being racist etc.

They're a known quantity.
Described as:
"Global Positioning Services Inc. is a full service music management company with offices located in Santa Monica and New York. Our team represents a select roster of record producers, songwriters, mixers, engineers, DJs & recording artists. With an A&R approach to management, our focus is on developing career clients. We provide comprehensive services including day-to-day project coordination, contract negotiation, royalty tracking and collections, invoicing, digital marketing, web and content strategy, social media management and global industry outreach.

Over the last 13 years, our clients have worked with the who’s who of the music industry, winning over 50 Grammy Awards and performing pivotal roles in the sale of millions of albums. Their work has influenced and shaped the sounds of artists spanning from The Killers, Bjork, Kings of Leon, Jay-Z, Morrissey, Michael Jackson, The Lumineers, Weezer, Rolling Stones, Juanes, Paul McCartney, Run The Jewels, Garbage, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Chris Stapleton to name only a few. No matter the project, we have a client who can deliver the record you need."

For more:
https://globalpositioningservices.net/

Regards,
FWD.

That’s not who he @‘d. It’s this guy.

Regards,
MIVG

First, Israel and then It’s Over and now this. Chiccarelli is drawing/producing increasingly rich and warm sounds from Morrissey’s voice.

I’d begun to believe Morrissey’s best recorded vocals were destined to be left on Quarry. But, thus far, it seems this LP might top them all—as a showcase for his voice at least.

So very promising. I’ve become accustomed over the years to simply hoping for 2-3 good songs, maybe one great one, on a new Moz album. I have always found it strange that as he’s gotten older his voice has gotten better while his lyrics have faded though. I expected the exact opposite years ago. He’s such a witty, wonderful lyricist, so I expected if anything that the music would mellow as he aged but the lyrics would deepen and be richer if anything. An older/wiser theory I guess. Just strange. That said, I’m so happy he’s still putting out albums and this album is the most excited I’ve been in a very long time.

Thanks FWD for transcribing!
Great review. I think I'll stop listening to the new songs and will wait for the whole album to come out. If the reviews so far are accurate then it will be great.

Thanks FWD for transcribing!
Great review. I think I'll stop listening to the new songs and will wait for the whole album to come out. If the reviews so far are accurate then it will be great.
I’m going to do the same. And if he plays any more new stuff in the upcoming gigs, I’m going to avoid listening to any clips of them as well. The last 3 Moz albums, I’ve listen to everything that was available, which was usually half the album before it’s release. And it really does spoil that initial listening experience. Because although you’re listening to the whole album, in your mind you’re separating the songs into 2 groups. It takes a while and a lot of listens for those songs to fuse together.

Very much looking forward to this album, I loved LIHS but judging by the three excellent tracks I have now heard, this album looks like it could be even better still.

Is it true ??? Skinny has passed away upon opening today's Mojo magazine and staring at a 4 star Morrissey review in the mainstream press !!!!??? Indeed it's between mojo and uncut for the main (only ?) Credible music mags these days in the UK ..... Poor dear all this positive Morrissey press all his hope was gone.... All he could do was complain about him but now it's turned he's gone before Mondays 5 star uncut review

My Wembley tickets have arrived & claim there is support.

Anyone heard any rumours about who that might be (if it's true)?

First, Israel and then It’s Over and now this. Chiccarelli is drawing/producing increasingly rich and warm sounds from Morrissey’s voice.

I’d begun to believe Morrissey’s best recorded vocals were destined to be left on Quarry. But, thus far, it seems this LP might top them all—as a showcase for his voice at least.

The voice isn't the problem...it's the middle of the road music...........where's the balls? Where's the power of Now my heart is full or You're gonna need someone on your side?

Wonderin' if I Am Not A Dog On A Chain was inspired by Moz's cover of Only A Pawn In Their Game.
The line To kill with no pain /Like a dog on a chain, mighta sparked some inspiration for Moz.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom