Mary Coughlan mentions UK "festival dates" with Morrissey in interview

"Festival dates with Morrissey? Mary, take a bow - Independent.ie
Saturday March 05 2011

They are the most unlikely coupling. The Charming Man that is Morrissey and the 'tired and emotional' blues singer from Galway.

But The Diary [of The Irish Independent Newspaper] can exclusively reveal that Morrissey and Mary Coughlan are expected shortly to announce a number of festival appearances together in the UK this summer.

This development came about after the former Smiths singer turned up at Mary Coughlan's show in Dublin's Academy last Saturday night.

"Morrissey came to a gig of mine in Whelan's a few years ago so I knew he was a fan but it was still a shock when he rang up to find out what time I went on stage in the Academy.

"When I came on, there he was in the front row. I was slightly mortified," she revealed.

Worshipped by his own fans, 'Mozzer' was so taken with Mary's performance he got up on stage to kiss her hand.

A stunned Mary then found the most influential lyricist from the best band in the last 30 years banging on her dressing-room door post-show.

"Maybe it's because I'm f****** brilliant," joked Mary to me this week.

"But seriously, I'm a huge Morrissey fan myself. Some people sent me photographs of me and Morrissey from the concert this week.

"I don't think I look great but Morrissey looks amazing."

The Manchester-born singer, whose song 'Irish Blood, English Heart' became his best-selling single -- with or without The Smiths -- when it entered the British charts at number three in May 2004, is a well-known lover of all things Hibernian.

And with both his parents being Irish, Morrissey is entitled to play for the Irish soccer team.

However, it seems that the music icon has been talking more to Mary this week than Giovanni Trapattoni, as she confirmed: "Yes we have been in contact.

"Plans will be announced shortly, on a couple of festivals he (Morrissey) is doing in the UK," she said.

But however much Morrissey means to Mary, it means even more to her daughter Olwen, who graduated from IADT last year. The subject of her thesis? The collected works of Steven Patrick Morrissey."

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Morrissey and Mary" is VERY close to "Morrissey and Marr", don't you think?

Yes, come on Morrissey. Why didn't you play for Ireland?

I can't believe they didn't mention that he is a big Eurovision fan either :lbf:

Last edited:
Where can I read that thesis? It sounds very interesting, and most likely free, seeing as I don't want to buy 'The Pageant of his Bleeding Heart' just yet.

I predict Electric Picnic in Ireland

Reading and Leeds maybe? that'd be sweet that would
fantastic to hear that he's back, Kent will be a special gig

Yes, come on Morrissey. Why didn't you play for Ireland?

I can't believe they didn't mention that he is a big Eurovision fan either :lbf:

He has mentioned before he liked Eurovision, but that was years ago, no one watches it anymore lol.

He can play for England thats why :)

What a sweet article! I hope she tours with him in the USA. I'd love to see her live.

Mary who? He should hire someone decent as an opening act. The Smoking Popes are releasing a new album "This Is Only A Test" next week. :thumb:

Paloma Faith is cool too even if she's upside down....

Strawberry.

I see he hasn't got a gig booked for the Sunday of Glastonbury. I live in hope...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom