Mike Joyce tweets on Glastonbury performance and "cover versions"

Update, June 25, 6:53 PM PT:
Maurice E mentions the additional tweets:

@QuintinForbes You're right. I just didn't enjoy The Smiths songs. He was in fine form though.

@QuintinForbes Quite right. I think "cover versions"was maybe the wrong phrase. I just didn't enjoy The Smiths songs. He sounded great tho.

@mj_quinn The "band" were the musicians in The Smiths...Mozzer wasn't in the "band' M was the singer/lyricist in the group.

From Mike Joyce's Twitter page:

"Gr8 performance from M at Glasto but didn't like the cover versions. M was in the group...but not in the band, those tunes belong to them."

Presumably, he thinks Marr's solo versions of Smiths songs are faultless?
Also, how about Joyce Michael, as a member of the 'band' treats us to his own version of the Smiths songs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rowntree, I think it was the highhanded way that the former drummer referred to "cover versions" that people have reacted to.

There's no other way to describe the abomination that was This Charming Man. I just don't get why they would do that to the song, it isn't like it's the hardest thing to play. Makes no sense at all.

On the flip side Morrissey's vocals were so good on I want the one I can't have that it wouldn't matter if Jedward were playing behind him.

Interesting that Joyce distinguishes between group and band. So is the band the three people (in The Smiths) who played the instruments and the group is the band plus Morrissey doing vocals?

Think he meant "Morrissey was in the group but he wasn't the band". Needed to correct his sloppy grammar first.

Besides Morrissey's current drummer could recreate and better any drum part Joyce could play.

Oh dear - some clarification required. Of course there's nothing wrong with criticising Morrissey's band's versions of the Smiths songs. The rearranged version of This Charming Man is horrible. But most of the others are sufficiently good for 96% of the fans to absolutely love hearing them. Morrissey's current rendition of 'I Know It's Over' is spellbinding.
What grates is Joyce Michael's snide description of Morrissey doing Smiths songs as 'cover versions', and the implication that they 'belong' more to Joyce Michael than they do to Morrissey.
The songs were written by Marr and Morrissey and, therefore, if anyone, they belong to Marr and Morrissey.

Maurice E

Meanwhile the world doesn't know - and doesn't care - who Mike Joyce is.

Moz and the band don't sound brilliant to me these days. But still, he's still a thousand times better than the dull Mr. Joyce.

Seems a silly comment aimed at getting publicity. Of course Morrissey has a right to play songs from The Smiths!

Seems a shame that Mike has to cling on so hard (all these years later) for the tiniest crumb of recognition , guess there's not much else going on his life at the moment...........

It's frustrating... he contributed a lot to the sound - the Smith's songs would've sounded quite different if there had been some jazz or sloppy american folk drumming, rather than a steady rock beat to keep it in line. I guess that was Joyce's creative contribution. Which is tenuous. It's fine to acknowledge that he was part of the band, but that the music transcended ownership apart from in a sterile a legal/royalties sense years ago... it's the Smiths' music, the Smiths' are dead, the music lives on.

Morrissey plays the songs, Marr plays the songs, I'll bet the minuscule Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce DJ sets are loaded with Smiths tunes... if they're gonna keep this petty argument up then it's to their own personal detriment. Even as I type this I feel my hands despising me for it...

Devils advocate time - wouldn't we all absolutely love it if The Smiths got back together?? And if they did we would all look at them as we did originally - a 4-piece - equal partners in delivering to us the unique brilliance that was The Smiths. I think the Joyce case was pretty messy but he did and has a fair point in my eyes regarding his part he played in the band, or group - whatever!! He is on record back then as stating he would have died for Moz but childish comments on cover versions seems rather petty, but a possible olive branch???? I went to Perth and Hawick and while set lists were great I remain disappointed that There Is A Light, I Want The One and Shoplifters have been getting played since 2004 and 2006 - on the plus though Meat Is Murder is superb and I Know It's Over is probably the best song ever written. There are so many others that could be getting an airing much to the annoyance of Joyce. Personally however I think this is one band that will not get back together.

Yeah I still prefer the old band members of The Smiths than the ones in Morrissey's band now. They play as if they try and copy but copying it with their own twist and it makes it sound like a tribute band when they perform Smiths songs. American fans love his band now cause there are americans in it but they were not the first or the original.
Let the americans have the Moz band because the old days are over and everything now is just a tired repeat.

Yeah but yeah but yeah but Rourke's suede shoes will spank ya prolly cause he ain't shagged Mandy Kennedy and she still preggers when he banged her up and I'm off cider now anyway so don't blame me.

American fans love his band now cause there are americans in it.

I, along with many other Americans on this board (especially Jamie) despise the current band and want the old Lads back, preferably Alain and Gary. Just because there's Americans in the band doesn't automatically mean we all like them...we don't.

Please don't embarrass yourself any further with your stupid comments.

Sisters of Mercy had the right view of drummers.
Mind you, Oasis was always better with the 16th drummer they had, Knobend Jim, I think it was.

M is the Gr88888est singer/pop lyrcist of the last 30 years, but one part of a 4 piece Smiths jigsaw.

Moz-es American/Mexican rockers are ploughing through Smiths classics, having sucked the magic juice out of
This Charming Man...Though I may have gone slightly def (ehh) listening to my ipod on the plane,

If youre lucky to get a label, please no MOR Prog Rock Southpoor, Maladjusted pub Rock, Years of Recycle Punk Rock release.
Always a fan....just wanting more from the live Tormentors.......

Seems a shame that Mike has to cling on so hard (all these years later) for the tiniest crumb of recognition , guess there's not much else going on his life at the moment...........

Mike knows it's over. Still he clings. He just doesn't know where else he can go.

Nowhere fast?

Yeah I still prefer the old band members of The Smiths than the ones in Morrissey's band now. They play as if they try and copy but copying it with their own twist and it makes it sound like a tribute band when they perform Smiths songs. American fans love his band now cause there are americans in it but they were not the first or the original.
Let the americans have the Moz band because the old days are over and everything now is just a tired repeat.

2 Brits, one Mexican, One Columbian, and 2 Americans. It's a fairly diverse collection of people on the stage. I don't care if Morrissey recruits a Tuba player from Turkmenistan.
The nationalities of the people on stage are entirely irrelevant to the music.

I'm okay with most of the Smiths material being played nowadays. I would love to see him retire "There is a light", because it's been over-done, and "Charming Man" because frankly, it's a terrible, heavy-handed version.

You and your sainted old days...

Crank up the Victrola and spin your dusty old records if you feel this way. No one is forcing you to participate.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom