Morrissey’s Defense Of Free Speech Underlines What Both Right And Left Get Wrong - The Federalist

Morrissey’s Defense Of Free Speech Underlines What Both Right And Left Get Wrong - The Federalist

Morrissey has penned an eloquent attack on those who oppose free speech, but it has lessons for the defenders, too.

Excerpt:

"Former Smiths front man and international superstar solo artist Morrissey has found himself in progressives’ crosshairs again. This time, the controversial crooner has hit back in a new form. After being savaged as a racist xenophobe by the United Kingdom newspaper The Independent in what was supposed to be a concert review, Morrissey launched a new website with a brutal screed attacking both the outlet and British society in general.

This is not the first time Morrissey has been attacked by the politically correct brigade. Last year he came under fire for suggesting that acts of Islamic terror are often committed by Muslims and that the U.K. government has been far too lax in confronting the problem. This year the issue seems to be that he has said nice things about Brexit and had the temerity to waive a Union Jack flag that a fan brought to his concert in London."

The Federalist.com - by David Marcus.

A long examination of the topic.
Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
is this thread still going.people on opposite sides of the argument will never agree with each other on this.this used to be a music site.

is this thread still going.people on opposite sides of the argument will never agree with each other on this.this used to be a music site.

This thread is like a conversation between Morrissey and Russell Brand. It could go on forever ...

Yet world peace could be so easy if both sides cooperated.
With the combined powers of alcohol and meditation, who knows what human beings could achieve! :sweet:

...I know, it's easy for me to say. I'm superhuman and can handle both.

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

PC this PC that, can't say this cant say that, who says? who are these lilly livered that say we "CAN'T" where are they from? where do they live? under a tofu burger?
is there a dossier from the mump heads of our UK parliament, saying we cant?
Smiths/moz's lyrics are riddled with ambiguous comments political or otherwise, its really no different to his on going external comments from his songs.

I am going to give you a small example of this PC stupidity, it happened to me i was photographing two local cricket teams back in the 90's, one team was made up of all Afro caribbean players and the other was of all Bangladeshi players a most anticipated game on the local cricket scene, I captured a fantastic shot of one of the Afro caribbean teams player getting bowled out, wickets, bails, the ball all in shot the wickets got obliterated, his facial expressions, he was looking back on the newly decimated stumps, you get the general idea, it went into print, printed half page, despite his bowling out their team won, all's good right?

NO, after the paper went into print, the newspaper I was working for at that time received 30 complaints of racism, accusing me of being a racist, for gods sakes it went on for months, seriously? damned if you do damned if you dont, I was seething, who were they to call me a racist, who were they?
The players grandma joined in on the fake outrage also, it became ridiculous.
The next match I still attended and the player approached me with cricket bat in hand and I thought "here we go, time to use my pugilism skills" but no, he came up and this poor chap couldn't be more apologetic if he tried, it was embarrassing for him to say the least.
Point is, where does this start and where does this stop.
world gone bloody mad! oh and by the way the guy ordered a "11x14" print for his wall, he loved the shot. what a man, what a sportsman!

g23, you speak for yourself and i am certain others would agree with this.

Jason
Who else would I speak for, but myself? And if you're addressing a person in a forum, it's considered polite to address them directly. I haven't a clue how your rant on PC culture has much if anything to do with my posts. I never once said he should or shouldn't be PC. I'm saying he's kind of making a tit of himself in the virtual papers.

That is some post, but I agree with the Islam issue. Being not racist, Islam is not a race, but it doesn't belong in England, halal slaughter is sent to us directly from hell, these people need to shove off, they think they own England, but they don't, ban Islam, ban cruel Halal slaughter in OUR country, if they don't like it, well f*** off to somewhere they do, and that's logic, whole thing needs to be stopped, these people are taking the piss out of English life & culture, am I wrong?

It's complicated. All I was asking for is honesty, though, and that's why I opened myself to charges of being a complete lunatic, not that I have any hope of being recognized for that on this site. But when you play semantics, "Islam is not a race so hating it isn't racist" okay, well that's why I don't call Morrissey a racist. He's xenophobic in most cases. "Subspecies" though, is defined as "a taxonomic category that ranks below species, usually a fairly permanent geographically isolated race."
It recalls "subhuman" possibly intentionally but there's no need to talk about what he didn't say.
I just want you to admit that calling a group of people a subspecies can only be defined as a racist statement, given the definition of the word.
That doesn't mean he is necessarily racist. I really don't think he is, especially as he would define it. But he does think that people should "stay where they is."
The problem with the argument you're making is that England has a history of interfering in other countries. I'm not even saying that imperialism is a bad thing. It's just human nature to try to rise to the top and that does seem to require controlling and exploiting others. When religion or race is used to justify it, as opposed to simply and honestly placing the needs of your "tribe" over the needs of others, then it's even worse.
The thing is, without trying to write another insane essay here, the "floodgates of immigration" creates a situation that doesn't exist in isolation. And if you're not trying to stop your country from making conditions worse for people in other places you can't really blame them when they try to have a better life in the place you call home. All those Syrian refugees for example would probably be much happier in Syria if it hadn't been destabilized by western forces.
And again, even when people come to your country with every wish and intention of fitting in Morrissey's answer to those who only want to "embrace your culture" is you don't belong here. Don't pretend like it's only the bad ones you don't want. You're literally saying "England for the English" and I understand that feeling but to feel that is to live isolated from the reality of the history of the world.
The war between the Muslims and the Christians is nothing new and it's actually a separate issue from the immigration/exploitation conversation. But those who hate people simply for being Muslim will always use the immigrants and refugees as scapegoats. That's why Morrissey's statements are at best silly, ignorant, and uninformed, and at worst edging very close to racism.
There is no ideal past. It didn't and doesn't exist so no one can destroy it.

No you are totally right. One hundred percent. Whatever you may say about Christianity its one of the pillars of Western civilization, and its superior to Islam in every way. Besides you need religion to fight religion.
Islam is the lowest dreck and should be banned in the UK.
PS send off the Muslim apologists as well. Put a pup tent on them and send off to the desert.:rock:

Moz 100
Islam 0
I usually find parrots quite charming. But there are exceptions.

I usually find parrots quite charming. But there are exceptions.

You usually find parrots quite 'charming' but there are exceptions?:penguin:
That's wonderfully witty.:crazy:

Those naughty Muslim impersonators and their Truck of Peace.

LOL yeah the truck of peace carrying the religion of peace. You steal a candy bar and we cut a 'peace' of your
pincky finger...

Did you hear that Sadiq says
there is 'no reason to carry a knife'!!!

Foooook!!! Sadiq is a genius of Skinny
proportions. You are so lucky to have
him governing you all in London
FOR SURE!:laughing:

I wouldn't dream of chain smoking nowadays. Filthy habit- but basically everybody has an opinion on life while sacrificing larger chunks of it to the machine. I think in my personal life, I strive for a kind of gentleness and simplicity as my goal, and allowing myself to be bombarded with negativity makes me want to scream about it all- and I do sometimes- but as I get older I find myself less inclined toward trying to convince anyone else of much of anything, which is far different than my 20s and early 30s.

Some day I'll probably end up on a small plot of land, obliviously feeding my eventual pygmy goats (I hate doing yard work) while bombs rain down on my head that the news has been trying to warn me about for weeks.

I have a serious thing for goats. They are so happy and optimistic. Good choice!

I have a serious thing for goats. They are so happy and optimistic. Good choice!

If this is true, then you should check out the new band The Goats. They are taking over the land:

giphy.gif

First single to be released in June..."Goat milk...got it!"

I guess like most of morrisseys statements I feel like he’s somewhat got a point there though the way he expresses it and how far he takes it is counter productive

This too^^^

Who else would I speak for, but myself? And if you're addressing a person in a forum, it's considered polite to address them directly. I haven't a clue how your rant on PC culture has much if anything to do with my posts. I never once said he should or shouldn't be PC. I'm saying he's kind of making a tit of himself in the virtual papers.

The reason why I didn't reply direct to you cause I didn't want to engage in a conversation with you. You had nothing really poignant to say. I do not agree with your statistic of 98%. Therefore you speak for yourself. My "rant" as you call it wasn't aimed at you it was a kind of an "all areas" anecdote in regards to the thread headline!

Must this need explaining? Seriously...

I dropped in a comment about you in the well of my paragraph because I could.
Not everything is about you g23 and your ill founded comments. okey doke?

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
If you rant racist shit and insensitive shit your gonna be labaled. Maybe Morrissey you shouldn’t talk about immigration and other ethnicities and your views on them and avoid those questions but like an idiot you run your mouth, and it comes out highly insensitive and a bit racist. Yes you have the right of Free speach but so does everyone else and in they’re free speech they’re gonna label you those things but yet again he can’t see the forest for the trees, in typical Morrissey fashion wowe’s me, poor me I’m being attacked, give me a f***ing break.

The reason why I didn't reply direct to you cause I didn't want to engage in a conversation with you. You had nothing really poignant to say. I do not agree with your statistic of 98%. Therefore you speak for yourself. My "rant" as you call it wasn't aimed at you it was a kind of an "all areas" anecdote in regards to the thread headline!

Must this need explaining? Seriously...

I dropped in a comment about you in the well of my paragraph because I could.
Not everything is about you g23 and your ill founded comments. okey doke?

Jason
Hey Jason. Have a cup of tea and relax. 98% wasn't a scientifically accurate estimation. I didn't take a survey or ask for a show of hands.
But it's okay. I don't need to be liked by everybody to feel ok about life. Anyway, I'm off to make some scones and practice my ill-founded comments prior to unleashing them on the world.

Hey Jason. Have a cup of tea and relax. 98% wasn't a scientifically accurate estimation. I didn't take a survey or ask for a show of hands.
But it's okay. I don't need to be liked by everybody to feel ok about life. Anyway, I'm off to make some scones and practice my ill-founded comments prior to unleashing them on the world.

Thank god for that! Enjoy them.

Jason

If you rant racist shit and insensitive shit your gonna be labaled. Maybe Morrissey you shouldn’t talk about immigration and other ethnicities and your views on them and avoid those questions but like an idiot you run your mouth, and it comes out highly insensitive and a bit racist. Yes you have the right of Free speach but so does everyone else and in they’re free speech they’re gonna label you those things but yet again he can’t see the forest for the trees, in typical Morrissey fashion wowe’s me, poor me I’m being attacked, give me a f***ing break.

doh:
I think its high time you get 'labaled' highly illiterate.:laughing:

'wowe' is you LOL

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom