Morrissey A-Z: "Dagenham Dave"

I'm not sure that's fair. No disrespect to this young guy, but using a YouTube cover to make that point is like saying "How Soon Is Now?" is crap based on your Uncle Bob's singing voice. Sounds fine to me.

Everybody and their mother have been saying this for decades, but the pairing of Moz and Marr really was perfection. Marr’s playing in that video is the musical equivalent to Morrissey’s best Smiths lyrics. In terms of beauty and general goodness, I mean. What one lacked, the other had in abundance. There will never be a finer musical pairing.

In many ways Southpaw Grammar is the bravest album Morrissey ever released. Following a mature and critically applauded album with raucous rock songs, bookended by two ten-minute tracks, was a bold move. Plus the fact that less than 50 % of the running time Morrissey stays quiet. Teachers and Southpaw were just about good enough to support their running time, but the material between them falls short. Reader Meet Author is classic Moz and Boy Racer is decent, but the rest is sub-par.

It's clear that they didn't have enough material for an album, which is accentuated by the lack of new b-sides on the second and final single. Was the ill-fated tour with Bowie the reason for the hasty recording process?

I very recently listened to the Miravel sessions for that album, and got away from it thinking that there was enough good material to make a decent album. It had 6 songs that made it on the final cut in different, more raucous versions. The Operation and Do your best weren't there and that was a good thing. These songs might have been written in a rush at the last minute, and they were basically adding more of the same., plus the infamous drum solo never to forget. Unfortunately, Nobody loves us, Honey you know where to find me, You must please remember didn't make it on the album. What a missed opportunity.

Souhtpaw Grammar as we know it is an intriguing concept and indeed a daring album. And I like the Dagenham Dave EP so it wasn't all that bad, just that it could have been better.

The tune is really nothing without the wonderful vocal melody created by Moz. Johnny Marr’s ”intricate” riffs sometimes have all the passion of a child who has memorised how to complete a Rubik’s Cube.

You've somehow missed the point of The Smiths' music entirely. Go have a think about where you've gone wrong.

Damn! there are a song from Morrissey's catalog I like but I can't say something about . This is one of them .

I love this song. I know it’s slight but I can still remember hearing it for the first time. I’ve played it to people who aren’t Moz fans and they really like it too. Or maybe they’re just being polite.

Another one from SG that I simply love; the thrashing drums, great guitar work, thumping bass, big on energy, & lyrics that are frankly hilarious at times:

"Head in the clouds, and a mouthful of pie
Head in a blouse, everybody loves him
I see why"

"He'd love to touch, he's afraid that he might self-combust
I could say more, but you get the general idea"

Topped off with ""I love Karen, I love Sharon" on the window screen"

Just brilliant.

"He'd love to touch, he's afraid that he might self-combust
I could say more, but you get the general idea"
These are my favorite lines . Great song from an excellent, though sometimes underrated album. And of course, Morrissey looks stunning in the music video.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom