Morrissey A-Z: "I Didn't Know What to Do"

BookishBoy

Our song for today is this Gilbert O'Sullivan live cover, included on the deluxe edition of Low in High School.

(The original was released in 1971, as the B-side to O'Sullivan's single "We Will".)

Thoughts on this one?

nice little song for a saturday morning,gilbert was a big artist in the 70s.3 of his songs sold over a million singles and he spent 6 weeks at number one in america with alone again which touches on suicide which sold 2 million copies,read years ago that he took his record company to court and won a huge payout,think it was 13 million.

Jaunty, sweet, but ultimately a song most of us can do without, no?

you could argue, should it even be on this list but then you would have to do without rose garden and rose garden is too good to do without.

you could argue, should it even be on this list but then you would have to do without rose garden and rose garden is too good to do without.
Amen to that. One of his best ever covers. Maybe the best.

Sweet wee thing - he does sound like he doesn't know what to do.

I’d never heard this song before until Morrissey covered it in Antwerp and the Dublin a couple of nights later. I’ve got to say, it then stuck in my head for ages. The Dublin one was at the latter end of the gig, and I must say, it was rathe good. And still is.

One of the more trivial official releases, this is still quite likeable. Gilbert O'Sullivan is a very talented songwriter and it's interesting that Morrissey has probably covered as many of his songs live as any other songwriter's.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 243rd from 264 solo songs.

In that live rendition, Moz sounds like he's being taken on a fast ride - uncomfortable and probably unnecessary.

Like most of Morrissey’s covers more a tribute to the artist than a successful reinterpretation of the song. Fun to hear but adds little to nothing to the superior original.

Rather than asking that question,which I think is a odd question. I think it’s more beneficial to look at it as another opportunity given to us by Morrissey to chose to enjoy it or not. Though I don’t think he really cares either way.

I’m glad it was covered by Morrissey, and I enjoy hearing him enjoying himself choosing and covering this song. It’s a lovely little
number, and sits well with some
of Morrissey’s own shorter quirkier
songs. So it shouldn’t come to much surprise why he would cover this one, that’s not to say anyone has said that they were surprised.

I liked that he mischievously stuck
it in Speedway.

sorry Gilbert fans, but I think Morrissey’s voice is better on this one..

Last edited:
Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom