Morrissey Central: "New Morrissey Album" - 'I Am Not A Dog On A Chain' (November 28, 2019)

unnamed-1_kyednx.jpg

Morrissey's new studio album, I Am Not A Dog On A Chain, is scheduled for March 2020 release by BMG. The album was recorded in St-remy, France, with producer Joe Chiccarelli. The eleven tracks are:

Jim Jim Falls
Love Is On Its Way Out
Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
What Kind Of People Live In These Houses?
Knockabout World
Darling, I Hug A Pillow
Once I Saw The River Clean
The Truth About Ruth
The Secret Of Music
My Hurling Days Are Done

Morrissey has described I Am Not A Dog On A Chain as:

" … the very best of me … too good to be true … too true to be considered good … ", and concludes Morrissey's contract with BMG Records.

The first single is "Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?", which features vocals by Thelma Houston. The B-side is "Rainbow Valley", a cover of the UK hit by The Love Affair.

BMG will re-issue and re-master several Morrissey albums in 2020, with updated artwork and sleeve notes. These albums are: Southpaw Grammar, Maladjusted, You Are The Quarry, Ringleader Of The Tormentors, Years Of Refusal, Live At The Hollwood Bowl.

Morrissey has so far achieved 24 Top Ten albums in the UK - 14 solo, 10 with The Smiths. His highest U.S. chart position was this year with "California Son" at number 7.

This information provided by Rod Taylor.

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/new-morrissey-album

The Secret Of Music mystery solved.
Rainbow Valley appears again.
Reissues could be promising.
Is that a Loyd Grossman reference in the tracklist!?
Regards,
FWD.

Media coverage:

Moz will be fine, the album will be a success, the haters will hate, the fans will love it. Standard procedure.

The album title makes me think of the line in Only A Pawn In Their Game - Morrissey will always be his own free self - never owned, never chained, never a pawn in anyone's game. Good!
The song titles are intriguing and I can't wait to hear all of those new lyrics. It's something really wonderful to think about and look forward to! Thank you Morrissey!

I thought it was a two-album-deal to begin with. That contract is up. That's all. No word on a fall-out at this point at all.
I don't expect the title to be a jibe at BMG. The album was recorded early this year.
If anything it is aimed at his detractors. The press and those ex-fans who expected and expect him to act exactly how they would like to see him act.
Exactly, the title is aimed at those ‘fans’ who thought purchasing records meant they were buying him (rather than buying into him). I’m delighted they now all feel soundly chastised and are left to confront the inefficacy and emptiness of their colossal egos and thirsts for power. If the stance hits Morrissey’s sales it will nevertheless benefit the concert environment. ‘We’ don’t need them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, it’s aimed at those ‘fans’ who thought purchasing records meant they were buying him (rather than buying into him). I’m delighted they now all feel soundly chastised and are left to confront the inefficacy and emptiness of their colossal egos and thirsts for power. If the stance hits Morrissey’s sales it will nevertheless benefit the concert environment. ‘We’ don’t need them.

Well f***ing said!

I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - Morrissey, like the rest of us, is free to do what he wants, any old time.

This news is a bit embarrassing. Horrible album title. Horrible song titles. Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted potentially being remastered a second time?

On the bright side, there may be some unreleased material on these remasters.

Also, I highly doubt he’d be releasing the Hollywood Bowl had I not leaked it. You’re welcome.

it’s a horrible title, you’re right. Doesn’t go down well or roll off the tongue, or anything. Typical modern day Moz tho, just ham fistedly saying what he is, and isn’t. What happened to sharp, punchy album titles, like “Viva Hate”, “Kill Uncle” “Your Arsenal”, even “Years Of Refusal” & “Ringleader Of The Tormentors” sound mischievously defiant.

I AM NOT A DOG ON A CHAIN THO?? WTF!?! LOL! “Unchained dog”, Moz, just call it “Unchained dog”, if you must, “Wild dog”, “Not a racist dog”, “Doggone day”, “Doggy style”, “Dog shit”, that’s it, “Dog shit” works!

ps there better be a dog on the album cover, or some dog related merch at Mporium, I’ll be disappointed if there ain’t. Woof

I thought it was a two-album-deal to begin with. That contract is up. That's all. No word on a fall-out at this point at all.
I don't expect the title to be a jibe at BMG. The album was recorded early this year.
If anything it is aimed at his detractors. The press and those ex-fans who expected and expect him to act exactly how they would like to see him act.

Of course it’s aimed at his detractors, who else is it gonna be aimed at. Captain obvious you :rolleyes:

The album was written & recorded while he was in the middle of this meltdown - so I expect it to be a continuation. Hopefully it doesn't have some lyric that gets him into trouble... I would never count him out forever until he's dead, but he does need to get out of this rut he's in.

There's nothing obviously politically toxic in the titles at least, so maybe we be spared an album of far-right diatribes, which was my main worry. Then again, people claimed 'Jacky' was all about Brexit, so people will read shit into anything.

Anyone know off the top of their heads, just how many Moz albums Joe Chiccarelli has produced, & which ones they were?
I think WPINOYB, LIHS, & CS maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know off the top of their heads, just how many Moz albums Joe Chicarelli has produced, & which ones they were?

3, I think. World Peace, California Son & Low in High School.

All of them, from and including World Peace onwards, I think. And they’ve all been shit. No coincidence. He needs binned.

They weren't THAT bad - but, I don't like his production at all. Too many ugly & disjointed sounds.

They weren't THAT bad - but, I don't like his production at all. Too many ugly & disjointed sounds.

exactly, I can’t listen to them, it’s like he’s just experimenting for the sake of it, far too over indulgent & clunky. Strip back to basics I say.

Morrissey's solo albums seem to follow a pattern whereby one very good album is followed by two not-so-good albums. So, ignoring the covers album, I fear we are in for another disappointment.

get ready for more bizzare announcements a la top 5 in polish charts that never exist

Morrissey's solo albums seem to follow a pattern whereby one very good album is followed by two not-so-good albums. So, ignoring the covers album, I fear we are in for another disappointment.

I think some take a little longer to love than others, but I wouldn't call any of them disappointing.
I've not really had a good listen to CS at all; it didn't spark any interest with me.
Looking at where they charted in the UK, he's not done bad at all, although I think ROTT is a surprise No.1 position, whereas Arsenal only got to No.4.

Some great songs on all of his recent albums, but an entirely great album he has not made since YATQ I think.
However, you'll almost never hear an entirely great album these days.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom