Morrissey Central: "New Morrissey Album" - 'I Am Not A Dog On A Chain' (November 28, 2019)

unnamed-1_kyednx.jpg

Morrissey's new studio album, I Am Not A Dog On A Chain, is scheduled for March 2020 release by BMG. The album was recorded in St-remy, France, with producer Joe Chiccarelli. The eleven tracks are:

Jim Jim Falls
Love Is On Its Way Out
Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
What Kind Of People Live In These Houses?
Knockabout World
Darling, I Hug A Pillow
Once I Saw The River Clean
The Truth About Ruth
The Secret Of Music
My Hurling Days Are Done

Morrissey has described I Am Not A Dog On A Chain as:

" … the very best of me … too good to be true … too true to be considered good … ", and concludes Morrissey's contract with BMG Records.

The first single is "Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?", which features vocals by Thelma Houston. The B-side is "Rainbow Valley", a cover of the UK hit by The Love Affair.

BMG will re-issue and re-master several Morrissey albums in 2020, with updated artwork and sleeve notes. These albums are: Southpaw Grammar, Maladjusted, You Are The Quarry, Ringleader Of The Tormentors, Years Of Refusal, Live At The Hollwood Bowl.

Morrissey has so far achieved 24 Top Ten albums in the UK - 14 solo, 10 with The Smiths. His highest U.S. chart position was this year with "California Son" at number 7.

This information provided by Rod Taylor.

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/new-morrissey-album

The Secret Of Music mystery solved.
Rainbow Valley appears again.
Reissues could be promising.
Is that a Loyd Grossman reference in the tracklist!?
Regards,
FWD.

Media coverage:

I'm actually really curious about this album. Of course, Moz is completely lacking in objectivity in terms of his own creative output, and has been saying each album is his best since You Are the Quarry at the very latest, but I can't help wondering whether recent severity towards him in the media and elsewhere has stirred him up a little, and perhaps enough to shift him from the rut of producing patchy albums with occasional flashes of brilliance. Also, the titles are intriguing and, as others have observed, this might be the last Morrissey album we get for some time.

You’re missing point, he is a liar. It did not get to number 7 in the official US chart.

OK last attempt with this; you are becoming really tedious:​
The statement clearly states "His highest U.S. chart position was this year with "California Son" at number 7."​
Point out where this statement makes explicit reference to the "official US chart".​
You can't, because it does not.​
It is therefore not a lie...and Moz does not type on his website, ergo, he is not a liar.​
In 2019, you said, on the same subject:​
He's pointing to the one that makes him look better because he's devious, truculent and unreliable. Someone worked that out a while ago!
Surface, Jun 4, 2019

Good point, I don't believe Morrissey himself made the post to be honest.
Surface, Jun 4, 2019

Well, that or 'here's an easy way to make some money and give BMG one of the albums they payed for'. Morrissey's career has certainly had a few cases of what look suspiciously like 'contractual obligation albums' (eg: 'World of Morrissey', 'Greatest Hits' etc) - hell, even back to the days of 'Rank' which - great as it is - was only released to get out of the deal with Rough Trade. From the outside it looks as though he's desperate to get a record deal - then each time he gets one, something sours and he tries to fulfull his obligations and get out as soon as possible.

I think an album of original music would have sold more than covers and he wouldn’t have to pay other people money when he performs them live. A lot of the other situations you mentioned are comps of songs he already had in the can. That’s fulfilling an obligation. Especially early in life and in his career when there’s still time (something morrissey has made clear he doesn’t think he has a whole lot of left). To go out and spend money on new studio time to record covers when you could just record original material and sell more makes me think it had a point to him personally. Especially considering the songs he chose and there likelihood of mass popularity or sales etc

The good news - none of these song titles make me cringe.
Half of the ones on LIHS did, and they were right to - the lyrics were dreadful.
So hopefully we'll get no more idiotic geopolitical commentary (like on the songs Israel and World Peace), and no more creepy sexual stuff as with half of LIHS (When you open your legs in bed, Wrap your legs around me, In your lap etc.). We've probably got 4 people contributing music so good competition for final selection, we've got an imaginative producer keeping things away from the dismal chug-rock setting that Morrissey defaulted to between 1995 and 2010. All in all we could have a decent album on our hands. There's also a good chance it'll be his last unless a) it's brilliant and b) he unambiguously revokes his support for far-right politicians and political parties.

if its the same tired ritual from M then what does this say about you,same tired ritual over and over.

well number three isnt even accurate. He didnt play unusual venues here in. America and he sold a lot of tickets in a large market

It was supposed to be a 'long term' relationship. If they have so much faith in him, why would they be letting him go? Whether the album was planned in advance is neither here nor there. I'm just saying, that title sounds very much like a jibe at his employers. It's not like he doesn't have form for it.

I think it’s a go at the media. Say this and we will praise you, say this and we will damn you and review everything as a 1. Im not saying what’s true or not but that seems much more plausible. He’s not been shy in his smacks at the press and if he did have bad blood with bmg I don’t think he’d be shy about that either especially if he didn’t have anything to lose. Idk maybe he’s waiting until after the release or maybe the splits just not drama filled as people think it would be. I think it’s still very plausible that his contract was just up and he doesn’t know if he’ll be resigned go elsewhere self release or just tour for a period

... as others have observed, this might be the last Morrissey album we get for some time.

It's a fair point, but it would also be reasonable to think it could be the last one we get for some time.
Age-wise, Moz is getting on, & as much as we'd love him to, he can't keep pulling greatness out of the bag.
I'm happy to lower my expectations, but will simply hope & pray for greatness, as opposed to continually expecting it.
Those of us who love Moz will continue the love whatever he produces. Go Moz!

I'm not missing anything, thank you. He isn't a liar; he didn't write it; it wasn't his comment.
Do you understand me, or are you just being deliberately obtuse?

In June 2019 you, in a CS thread, made the same comment that "in fairness" Morrissey didn't personally make the comment.

Its Skinny under one of his pseudonyms that you are responding to. He sometimes mixes up the aliases hes posting under, and what exactly each said beforehand.

My plain take on what the album title is pointing to...

most likely written in the past two years during the media backlash, meaning he won’t give in to anyone’s image of him (including fans) or obey and do what is expected of or from him, etc.

as others have observed, this might be the last Morrissey album we get for some time.

it won’t be, it’s his job. He’ll find work. Get sam to print the sleeves, ketamine sun & thewlis to promote, Viva hate dust off that camcorder, your on directing duties, I’ll set up a go fund me, fund me, fund meee page. Together we can keep Moz in silk pyjamas & a lifetime supply of gourmet cheese.

I think 'Bite the Pillow, It's Morrissey' would have been a better title.

A few media reports of the new album added to the OP.
Nothing new/interesting added, just generic statements using Central's post.
Regards,
FWD.

A few media reports of the new album added to the OP.
Nothing new/interesting added, just generic statements using Central's post.
Regards,
FWD.

Famous when dead - do you know how many Morrissey songs this will make in total now?
Around the 250 mark perhaps?
Thanks.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom