Morrissey interview in Hürriyet Kelebek (Turkish)

That's because Morrissey's observation is accurate. The person who made the ignorant comment was the interviewer, Ali Tufan Koç.:

A: I'm feeding animals in shelters, I advocate animal rights, I live "green" but I'm eating steak for dinner. Is this acceptable ?

WHAT AN IDIOT Ali Tufan Koç.!

To be honest, I also find some of the questions pointless. Probably 99.998% of his fans know his thoughts about being a vegetarian, animal rights, etc. Mr. Koç just wasted his time with those questions. But it's nice to hear the background of "Istanbul" because most of his Turkish fans believe that he wrote that song in the memory of young people who lost their lives during 2013 Gezi Protests. Why ? Just because of "brown-eyed son" ?! I really don't understand it. :squiffy:

Regarding the song Istanbul, I can't really get what he says (spoken words) at the begging and at the end of the song. Does anybody know?

I like the Nazi comments. Perfect timing as he heads to shows in Germany. Maybe some Nazi kickball fan will say something to him to make him walk off.

I like the Nazi comments. Perfect timing as he heads to shows in Germany. Maybe some Nazi kickball fan will say something to him to make him walk off.

Excuse me, please, but unfortunately Nazis cannot only be found in Germany nowadays. We still have them here, yes, but i doubt they would buy tickets for a Morrissey concert. in addition, most nazis are Auschwitz deniers. why would they "say something to him" about a slaughterhouse-concentration camp comparison?

Morrissey will stoop to any depths to try to move tickets, and the Nazis and Jews comments barely register. It's astonishing to think it isn't even close to his nadir.

I like you avatar. Who is that? I never quite understood why, after inventing the game, we English never took to it. Girls still play rounders in schools, but the sport of baseball never really captured our imaginations. I suppose we had football, rugby, cricket so there was no room for much else.

That's because Morrissey's observation is accurate. The person who made the ignorant comment was the interviewer, Ali Tufan Koç.:

A: I'm feeding animals in shelters, I advocate animal rights, I live "green" but I'm eating steak for dinner. Is this acceptable ?

WHAT AN IDIOT Ali Tufan Koç.!

How so? It is one of the things I, out of ignorance, quite don't get from vegetarianism. So if the cow drops dead and I eat it, I am a nazi? The whole MiM video is about how animals are treated, not about eating them. Both things are, at least theoretically, independent. I can't agree with animal mistreatment and other modern horrors, but the whole animal kingdom is largely based on eating each other, and not precisely in the most gentle way...

Guess this must have been discussed ad nauseam, so apologies.

How so? It is one of the things I, out of ignorance, quite don't get from vegetarianism. So if the cow drops dead and I eat it, I am a nazi? The whole MiM video is about how animals are treated, not about eating them. Both things are, at least theoretically, independent. I can't agree with animal mistreatment and other modern horrors, but the whole animal kingdom is largely based on eating each other, and not precisely in the most gentle way...

Guess this must have been discussed ad nauseam, so apologies.

Yes and many issues are won because of horrible wars where the stronger beats the weaker. So, how long would we keep going on like this is "natural"?We all know some point of history but we also have to find a way to change something.Sorry for repeating words already heard as well.

The whole MiM video is about how animals are treated, not about eating them. Both things are, at least theoretically, independent.
... but not in practice. The hint for MiM is in the title of the song.

Regarding the song Istanbul, I can't really get what he says (spoken words) at the begging and at the end of the song. Does anybody know?

Do you mean this,

It's the call to prayer or "ezan". I think the distorted vocals towards the end of the song are also the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
... But it's nice to hear the background of "Istanbul" because most of his Turkish fans believe that he wrote that song in the memory of young people who lost their lives during 2013 Gezi Protests. Why ? Just because of "brown-eyed son" ?! I really don't understand it. :squiffy:

I think it's a combination of mis-understanding the nuances of the (English) lyrics and a type of ethno-centrism in relation to how political events are viewed.

Peanut is right. It's called azan/adhan (we use "ezan" in Turkish) and it's simply a call to prayer. In that excerpt he said "allahu akbar" which means God is almighty and the One.

Thank you Peanut and Glamourous Glue for the clarification. It's quite interesting how much people can expand their knowledge from Morrissey's lyrics. I was ignorant about it but now I learnt something new and I can see things clearer.
To me, this song is much more beautiful now. Thank you guys!

... but not in practice. The hint for MiM is in the title of the song.

I understand but, if it wasn't murder, would it be ok? I don't think so, according to Moz. So that is what has always confused me. The whole argument is don't eat because you promote mistreatment. I would understand a crusade against modern farming etc. Eating meat or not is a personal option. Mixing the two based on love for animals (I guess that puts humans on a higher level, since we can decide, therefore it's not love, it's compassion?) is manipulation that resembles that of our politicians - so explicitly challenged in WPINOYB (and I'd be the last to argue against).

Anyhow.i don't think the question was so stupid.

I understand but, if it wasn't murder, would it be ok? I don't think so, according to Moz. So that is what has always confused me.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Are you wondering if a vegetarian or vegan would have an ethical problem with eating an animal that died in the wild of natural causes?

Speaking for myself, I have no desire to eat a corpse regardless of how it died. Beyond the emotional aspects of what is a very specific debate, I don't really think what you seem to be suggesting really relates to the ethical stance of Meat Is Murder. (In other words: What percentage of meat-eaters only eat animals that died in the wild of natural causes?)

The whole argument is don't eat because you promote mistreatment. I would understand a crusade against modern farming etc. Eating meat or not is a personal option. Mixing the two based on love for animals (I guess that puts humans on a higher level, since we can decide, therefore it's not love, it's compassion?) is manipulation that resembles that of our politicians - so explicitly challenged in WPINOYB (and I'd be the last to argue against).

Anyhow.i don't think the question was so stupid.

It's not a stupid question, but I think Moz's viewpoint is clearer when you think of the double-standards that we apply to pets, zoo animals etc. vs other animals bred for the food industry.

It depends on your definition of 'mistreatment' - If you had a pet dog, raised it well, then decided to kill & eat it (even though there were other abundant sources of food available), you would certainly be labelled a psycho. The fact that there are mass industries based on doing the same to animals that are not "pets" is in some ways an artificial boundary - livestock animals are still reasonably higher-order beings after all, compared to say, a frog or a fly.

There is a contradiction there which I think is interesting to call into question, since it's a type of taboo subject otherwise. It goes to the nature of how much we value certain types of life, and the nature of consciousness and sentience. It's a grey area.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom