Morrissey interview in news.com.au - won't return to Brisbane for being heckled

Morrissey on avoiding Brisbane and only playing in Australian venues where no meat will be served - News.com.au

Excerpts:

In an exclusive interview Morrissey explained his unconventional tour path.

“I didn’t want to return to Brisbane because I’ve played there twice and on both nights I was heckled, which doesn’t bother me that much, but even if I reply with something snazzy, the heckler always wins because the night has been soured and we no longer feel welcome. That’s life.”

The former Smiths frontman is bypassing Sydney after playing four Sydney-only shows at last year’s Vivid Festival.

He last played Brisbane in 2012.

“I suppose there are people who think of Australia only in terms of Sydney and Melbourne, but I’m not one of them.”

As with his Vivid Festival stint, all the venues on his Australian tour will only be able to serve meat-free food, both in backstage catering and food on sale to the public.

Morrissey, 57, said he will now only play venues who agree to this part of his contract.

“I wish more artists would adopt this,” he said. “But we go to China this year and it’s such a flesh-eaters paradise that we feel certain there will be skewered dog for sale somewhere. The halls in Taiwan and Iceland would not go flesh-free, so we refused to book the dates. It’s a matter of humanitarian progress.”

...“There are laws of protection for dogs, so why not for cows? If you can be prosecuted for cruelty to a dog, then why not a cow? Doesn’t everything have the right to lead a natural life? Animals have nothing at all but the enjoyment of their lives ... so why take that away from them? It’s the flesh-eaters that are the true cranks, and the farmers who look upon sheep and cows as their property. If you have a cat you don’t refer to it as property. It is morally wrong to make money from the death of any living being.”

...A presale for Frontier Touring members starts August 3 at 2pm and ends on August 4 at 4pm.

General public tickets go on sale this Friday at 10am.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 questions and 3 answers are now called an "exclusive interview"? Really?

he actually used the word "snazzy"? i feel so disillusioned

He does seem soured in this video, he was really really happy when we left him in Vegas ,so don't ruin Morrissey's mood with dumb insensitive comments this tour.

Its a bold move but why not . As long as he stays away from the huge multi day festivals this idea may be able to work . As for people heckling , WHY ??? Pay good money just to give him grief and sorrow . Funny way to find joy in the music .

Admitting this is like waving a red rag to a bull. Some meat-loving bozo with cash to splash is bound to turn up now, just to yell out something and make him walk of stage, as he did in Poland last time I tried to see him.

"Well, this one guy said something mean, so the other several hundred/thousand that were in attendance get to miss out from here on because he's too rough, and I'm too delly-kate."

Nut up, and take on the world again. Jesus...

I'm curious, as I don't know the answer. Has Morrissey ever said anything to the effect, "if you eat meat, don't buy my records or go to my concerts"?

My thought would be this could potentially hurt is pocket book in a really bad way. It just seems he's willing to go almost all the way with his zealotry, but not quite to the point of losing cash. (And no, not booking a venue because they won't not serve meat is not the same thing).

For the record, I eat meat, and enjoy Morrissey's music. Can I have both?

Oh here we go, it's started :cool: hogwash publicity/statements in the build up to performances.
You are the Crank Steven :mock:
All this "snazz/spin" does not wash.
Each time you perform in China you support the dog eating process.
Animals are your tool in business, shame on you !

Manchester hecklers ! Make sure you're in fine form/voice :guitar::brows:
It's time to finish this CrankFraud business.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Has someone already spotted M in Bergen? Can't be that difficult since it isn't very big. It's nearly 3 months since we last saw him at LAX. Would be nice to know if he looks fit for the upcoming dates.

Oh here we go, it's started :cool: hogwash publicity/statements in the build up to performances.
You are the Crank Steven :mock:
All this "snazz/spin" does not wash.
Each time you perform in China you support the dog eating process.
Animals are your tool in business, shame on you !

Manchester hecklers ! Make sure you're in fine form/voice :guitar::brows:
It's time to finish this CrankFraud business.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:
oh dear, you don't know it but we are laughing at you.. let me point it out CRANK

I'm curious, as I don't know the answer. Has Morrissey ever said anything to the effect, "if you eat meat, don't buy my records or go to my concerts"?

My thought would be this could potentially hurt is pocket book in a really bad way. It just seems he's willing to go almost all the way with his zealotry, but not quite to the point of losing cash. (And no, not booking a venue because they won't not serve meat is not the same thing).

For the record, I eat meat, and enjoy Morrissey's music. Can I have both?

I think you already have had I would guess so you just answered your own question. I would also imagine that not everyone morrissey knows and likes is a vegan so I doubt he's gonna full on militants about the subject. Doing that also doesn't really help you spread your message very well if only veggies and vegans are hearing your message. as to nutting up I imagine his time is precious to him at this point and that conquering the world probably isn't in his top ten when it comes to touring. Record sales yes though. I mean when you older have been touring for forever and have already done the travel the world thing I'm guessing he'd rather just have an enjoyable time when performing. its probably demotivating to think of your shows as unenjoyable experiences

A 100 Australian Dollars?? f***ing hell I hope he out brings out Buncer and Kerry Mangel at that price, and Ailsa Stewart too

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom