Morrissey is anti-immigrant backs a white nationalist party. Why don’t fans care? - LA Times

Morrissey is anti-immigrant and backs a white nationalist political party. Why don’t fans care? - Los Angeles Times
By Randall Roberts

The singer, who plays the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, has always enjoyed a special bond with his Southern California fans. But could hateful remarks about immigrants spoil that?

Excerpt:

Los Angeles Councilwoman Rodriguez, who facilitated the city’s 2017 Morrissey Day celebration, stresses this distinction between art and artist. Asked whether the singer’s recent provocations have caused her to reassess her fandom or the wisdom of her resolution, she says no. “Morrissey has had a long history of saying controversial commentary about England and the monarchy. I think it’s part of what he has always been.” She and her family have tickets to Saturday’s Bowl concert.

On a larger level, Rodriguez adds, “Everyone in this country and anywhere, in my belief, is entitled to their opinions, even if I am not a proponent of that mindset.” Artists have permission to be controversial, she says. “It is, by nature, art.”

That doesn’t mean Morrissey should get a pass, says Nic Harcourt, a morning drive-time DJ for KCSN and music supervisor. For a long time, Harcourt chose to laugh off many of Morrissey’s public rows. The singer even did a guest DJ session with Harcourt when the latter hosted “Mornings Become Eclectic” on KCRW.

“He’s always flirted with this right-wing thing. This didn’t just suddenly happen,” Harcourt says. Something has shifted, though, and it prompted a reckoning. “When he made it so obvious earlier this year, I decided I wasn’t going to play his music anymore on the radio.” (Harcourt stresses that he’s speaking as a DJ and not as a spokesman for KCSN.)

Morrissey’s manager, Katsis, said that most frustrating to him is that, artistically, his client is at the top of his game. The shows have been phenomenal, but the media is focused on what Morrissey says offstage. “It’s just his opinion, and it’s taken as gospel. That’s the most bizarre part of it.”

Katsis adds, “Everyone keeps repeating that Morrissey said, ‘The Chinese are a subspecies.’ That comment was made about the Chinese government, and everybody has problems with the way they treat people.” Katsis says that he recently received a request from a promoter for his client to play concerts in China. Morrissey wants to play there but wondered, “Do you think they’d let me in the country?”

Such tensions can drive great art, and can prompt an essential question on fandom: Which is more powerful, the thrill that rushes into your spirit when you connect with a song or album, or the disappointment that comes with realizing you don’t share essential values with its creator?

“Fandom is very personal,” says “Mozlandia” author Hidalgo. “It’s about the self. It’s selfish. You’re going to like something you like, and no one in the world is going to tell you not to do it. Because if they tell you not to do it, you’ll do it even more.”

Related Item:

Last edited:
Could someone please explain to me - when does 'concerned about immigration' become 'racism'?

Is it wanting to reduce immigration by 100? or 1000? or 100,000?

Does not wanting to live in a Muslim country and preferring to live in a Western country make you racist? Well, there must be millions of racist Muslims in Europe, then.

So if a European town becomes over 50% Muslim - is that a problem? If you don't want all meat served in local schools and hospitals and prisons to be halal because it's cruel - is that racist?

Morrissey has a voice. He uses it. He has an opinion. He expresses it. Get over it.

Could someone please explain to me - when does 'concerned about immigration' become 'racism'?

Does not wanting to live in a Muslim country and preferring to live in a Western country make you racist? Well, there must be millions of racist Muslims in Europe, then.

So if a European town becomes over 50% Muslim - is that a problem? If you don't want all meat served in local schools and hospitals and prisons to be halal because it's cruel - is that racist?

Morrissey has a voice. He uses it. He has an opinion. He expresses it. Get over it.

What gash said!

John Lennon did bad things in his private life. Those things are widely ignored by his fanbase. It would have been different, I think, if he had said in interviews etc that it's ok to beat your woman.
Phil Spector was mentally ill.
Weinstein was a producer - a money man, not really responsible for the works of art he enabled.
A lot of people find it hard to watch Spacey films now.
Jay Z dealing drugs...that's ok innit? Someone's gotta do it.
Clapton - well he's shit anyway, and his fans weren't atttacted to him for his views in the first place. Whereas Moz, people loved him because it was a new, brave voice on issues like gender & sexuality. As such, people expected an egalitarian, inclusive attitude to minorities.

The issues here are more complex than your post suggests. Lots of people have stopped listening to R Kelly. No one listens to Gary Glitter anymore. On the other hand, people read and appreciate HP Lovecraft, while abhorring his racist views.

Let us not over simplify. Or, if we must, how about "Love Morrissey Hate Racism"?

From Morrissey's point of view though you're asking him to be inclusive of inhumane slaughter & a traditional religious doctrine that is mostly anti his stance on gender & sexuality. Not all concerns are racist & not all minorities are going to get on with each other all the time because their value systems clash.

But I am horrified by For Britain & I wish he'd renounce it.

Why, then, did he choose to align with the far right For Britain, when for the reasons he ostensibly put forward including animal rights, he could have gone with the Greens or Libs Dems? Can you think of a reason why he chose to align with a 'party' too racist even for the fruitcakes of UKIP? Take your time on this.

Because the Greens are f***ing nutcakes and pro-immigration liberal retards....just like the Lib-Dems. Enemy's of the people.

Bottom line is that that he is not a racist, the far-left cannot accept his or anyone's ideological views that differ from their own. Moz exposes them as the intolerant hypocrites they genuinely are.

Why, then, did he choose to align with the far right For Britain, when for the reasons he ostensibly put forward including animal rights, he could have gone with the Greens or Libs Dems? Can you think of a reason why he chose to align with a 'party' too racist even for the fruitcakes of UKIP? Take your time on this.
Wait a minute. Calling people "fruitcakes" is not okay. Are you homophobic or are you mocking people with mental illness?

I totally agree with that question. Specially American fans. Morrissey has been criticised in England for his toxic comments, and that's one of them, anti-immigrant. In America he has lots of Mexican followers and even themselves don't care about his white supremacy political views. The way Morrissey has been talking about other nationalities and he's bigotry is utterly disgusting. However, he'll be happy to take the money from those who he even dislike. Some of us have principals and we defend them, others very sadly are simply blind by the fan status and would follow the leader whatever he says right or wrong.

He does seem very distressed & confused about it.

Does he, now.

What does the Cancellometer say? (When in doubt, turn to science.)
Blue means I sort of, want to call Ma.
Green means I just puked my beans.
Yellow means I ain't. Bothered -Okay, my liver is.
Orange means There goes my Fanta!
etc etc.

protest.jpg

That headline is utter nonsense, For Britain are not against immigration at all.

They just call out the very worst aspects of Islam, you know, all the stuff that Labour and the Tories dare not mention.

They have no issue with other minorities or indeed law abiding Muslims.

Wait a minute. Calling people "fruitcakes" is not okay. Are you homophobic or are you mocking people with mental illness?

I think 'fruitcakes' is pretty mild when you're talking about FB. They aren't mentally ill, but they can't cope with brown faces in the UK

Halal slaughter is killing animals. 'Normal' slaughter hardly any more 'humane'. Moz & FB go on about it because they are Islamophobes.

You might not have stopped but I'm afraid thousands of people round the world have, including 60% of his pre 2018 fan-base (in the UK) have. The problem with his stance is that it undermines or contradicts nearly everything he and the Smiths ever stood for. He's urging us to vote for a political party that slashes taxes for the rich, abandons any attempts to address the climate crisis, and massively increase military expenditure. Unbelievably, though, he may not even realise this as he has just blindly followed Annie Walters (from UKIP and Labour) who he is understandably attracted to, due to her being a vegan, lesbian feminist. If he has any close friends or people in the record company that want to help him out of this career-destroying mess, they really need to point this stuff out to him, or just sit him down with the For Bigots manifesto, and check that he understands it.
It's extremely fortunate that he has a new album of songs recorded and ready for release. If he was currently sending demos out to record companies, and in search of a deal, he wouldn't stand a cat in hell's chance.

What the Smiths stood for? What did the Smiths stand for apart from being anti-monarchy and pr0-animals? Were they pro-mass immigration? Were they for huge ethic change in the demographics of the UK? Were they pro Islamic terrorism?

I think 'fruitcakes' is pretty mild when you're talking about FB. They aren't mentally ill, but they can't cope with brown faces in the UK
Yeah but when you're dissecting the language other people use you have to set a better example.

Would it be okay to say, "One can't help but feel that the Chinese are a bunch of fruitcakes," or is that bad? Asking for a friend.

:censored:

Skinny how dare you call peeps 'fruitcakes'??? Thats wrong and homophobic.:censored:
some of your main alias are dancing fruitcakes-specifically 'surface'- but nobody
would call them that:swear

Apologize at once.:swear

Halal slaughter is killing animals. 'Normal' slaughter hardly any more 'humane'. Moz & FB go on about it because they are Islamophobes.

Moz goes on about all slaughter though - he's always said that watching a documentary about an abattoir when he was 11 years old triggered his life-long depression. And he refers to 'the meat industry' as if it's a global conspiracy to oppress animals.

Back
Top Bottom