Morrissey is anti-immigrant backs a white nationalist party. Why don’t fans care? - LA Times

Morrissey is anti-immigrant and backs a white nationalist political party. Why don’t fans care? - Los Angeles Times
By Randall Roberts

The singer, who plays the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, has always enjoyed a special bond with his Southern California fans. But could hateful remarks about immigrants spoil that?

Excerpt:

Los Angeles Councilwoman Rodriguez, who facilitated the city’s 2017 Morrissey Day celebration, stresses this distinction between art and artist. Asked whether the singer’s recent provocations have caused her to reassess her fandom or the wisdom of her resolution, she says no. “Morrissey has had a long history of saying controversial commentary about England and the monarchy. I think it’s part of what he has always been.” She and her family have tickets to Saturday’s Bowl concert.

On a larger level, Rodriguez adds, “Everyone in this country and anywhere, in my belief, is entitled to their opinions, even if I am not a proponent of that mindset.” Artists have permission to be controversial, she says. “It is, by nature, art.”

That doesn’t mean Morrissey should get a pass, says Nic Harcourt, a morning drive-time DJ for KCSN and music supervisor. For a long time, Harcourt chose to laugh off many of Morrissey’s public rows. The singer even did a guest DJ session with Harcourt when the latter hosted “Mornings Become Eclectic” on KCRW.

“He’s always flirted with this right-wing thing. This didn’t just suddenly happen,” Harcourt says. Something has shifted, though, and it prompted a reckoning. “When he made it so obvious earlier this year, I decided I wasn’t going to play his music anymore on the radio.” (Harcourt stresses that he’s speaking as a DJ and not as a spokesman for KCSN.)

Morrissey’s manager, Katsis, said that most frustrating to him is that, artistically, his client is at the top of his game. The shows have been phenomenal, but the media is focused on what Morrissey says offstage. “It’s just his opinion, and it’s taken as gospel. That’s the most bizarre part of it.”

Katsis adds, “Everyone keeps repeating that Morrissey said, ‘The Chinese are a subspecies.’ That comment was made about the Chinese government, and everybody has problems with the way they treat people.” Katsis says that he recently received a request from a promoter for his client to play concerts in China. Morrissey wants to play there but wondered, “Do you think they’d let me in the country?”

Such tensions can drive great art, and can prompt an essential question on fandom: Which is more powerful, the thrill that rushes into your spirit when you connect with a song or album, or the disappointment that comes with realizing you don’t share essential values with its creator?

“Fandom is very personal,” says “Mozlandia” author Hidalgo. “It’s about the self. It’s selfish. You’re going to like something you like, and no one in the world is going to tell you not to do it. Because if they tell you not to do it, you’ll do it even more.”

Related Item:

Last edited:
The article makes a good attempt at laying out the evidence. The incontrovertible evidence. Read it. It's all there.

The quote from Katsis is so, so telling - “It certainly hasn’t had any effect in our best markets (my emphasis) like L.A., New York and San Diego. Most U.S. fans don’t care, or even know enough about U.K. politics, to have an opinion on what Morrissey posts.”

There you have it - he tours where the crowd don't know about the racist comments in Britain and where there's money to be made. I've said it for ages, and now Katsis admits it.

And as for Rodriquez - what kind of a position is that?

Morrissey - says a long line of bigoted, racist things
Fan - 'Well, that's what artists do"

Me - f*** you, f*** Morrissey, f*** racism.

You hang around like a left-over shit in a toilet Skinny. Why don't you piss off?

The article makes a good attempt at laying out the evidence. The incontrovertible evidence. Read it. It's all there.

The quote from Katsis is so, so telling - “It certainly hasn’t had any effect in our best markets (my emphasis) like L.A., New York and San Diego. Most U.S. fans don’t care, or even know enough about U.K. politics, to have an opinion on what Morrissey posts.”

There you have it - he tours where the crowd don't know about the racist comments in Britain and where there's money to be made. I've said it for ages, and now Katsis admits it.

And as for Rodriquez - what kind of a position is that?

I'm really concerned about Princess Me-Again being sad. Why don't you talk about that?
Anyway, if anyone ever did care about Morrissey's comments on "the floodgates are open" and all that, and his deliberately provocative use of the word "subspecies" listening to you drone on "for ages" would be enough to nullify that concern.
Get some help. You're one degree away from Mark David Chapman on the obsesso-meter.
I had a relative who suffered from dementia and it's ugly. I am not joking when I say you show the signs. The repetition, the anger at a person that you don't know, the obsession and the insistence on your theories being true.

Your posts accomplish the opposite of what you're intending. Hearing the same things repeatedly for years and years doesn't make them more impactful. The opposite. He could never be as bad as you try to paint him and so in contrast to your hysterical ravings he seems quite measured and even someone who might have had some issues with some of the things he has said will come to care less and less.

Some fans abandoned him, some stayed. You can always find folks who will defend behavior like his. The world is filled with lots of folks who can bend facts to support their views. Half the US voted for an obvious racist, not hard to find a few hundred thousand across the globe who'll support another.

I don't think he is a racist. He's concerned about extremists and of cause animal rights .A racist no.

And as for Rodriguez - what kind of a position is that?

oh, the irony.
You’re still here you bumbling Buffon.

Nazi Pete strikes again

M lobs a hand grenade in then leaves the scene of the crime,its what hes been doing since 1983,he almost invented trolling.any country that treats animals the way the Chinese do are a subspecies,when M said this he didn't mean the rice farmer in Guangzhou he meant the government that allows animals to be treated so badly.

upload_2019-10-25_8-21-54.jpeg

M lobs a hand grenade in then leaves the scene of the crime,its what hes been doing since 1983,he almost invented trolling.any country that treats animals the way the Chinese do are a subspecies,when M said this he didn't mean the rice farmer in Guangzhou he meant the government that allows animals to be treated so badly.

You really can't defend a statement like that. Don't even try. I mean "rice farmer"? Why not "computer tech"? Do you see where I'm going with this?

I am a fan and I don’t really care about his political beliefs. Also, I truly don’t think Morrissey is bothered by the colour of a persons skin, he seems to care about the loss of national identity and a lot of people say the same thing. It is true that you can walk through many towns and cities and you don’t hear British accents, he cares about that and many people do too. Morrissey just puts his foot in his mouth every time he speaks on this topic but he thinks it is his place to speak up.

Imagine it's 1935 and somebody says 'You can't help but think that the nazi's are a subspecies'. There's no reason to defend either the nazis or the chinese (read about the Uighur treatment and concentration camps, treatment of Hong Kong, and their Social Credit System). Morrissey predicted all this, and he was right. Who would have thought? He tried to explain but predictably the world wouldn't listen, and it's easier to call out the messenger. It's all in the messenger, fellas (and it really is 'fellas', because the chinese haven't figured out yet that the women are much smarter than the men, so it's gonna take them another 150 years to realise that).

Imagine it's 1935 and somebody says 'You can't help but think that the nazi's are a subspecies'. There's no reason to defend either the nazis or the chinese (read about the Uighur treatment and concentration camps, treatment of Hong Kong, and their Social Credit System). Morrissey predicted all this, and he was right. Who would have thought? He tried to explain but predictably the world wouldn't listen, and it's easier to call out the messenger. It's all in the messenger, fellas.

Why, then, did he choose to align with the far right For Britain, when for the reasons he ostensibly put forward including animal rights, he could have gone with the Greens or Libs Dems? Can you think of a reason why he chose to align with a 'party' too racist even for the fruitcakes of UKIP? Take your time on this.

And as for Rodriguez - what kind of a position is that?

People like you need to point the finger at other people on an hourly basis otherwise you'd have to reconcile with your own demons. It keeps you busy.

Why, then, did he choose to align with the far right For Britain, when for the reasons he ostensibly put forward including animal rights, he could have gone with the Greens or Libs Dems? Can you think of a reason why he chose to align with a 'party' too racist even for the fruitcakes of UKIP? Take your time on this.
Wouldn't need to take any time at all. For Britain are not far right. There you go. Anything else you need help with you let me know.

I do care - but I don't believe he is a racist or a fascist - he's just said some massively undiplomatic things & doesn't filter or research enough, plus he digs his heels in when he really should apologise.

For Britain is a racist, white nationalist party - but Anne Marie Waters is an Irish, vegan, lesbian, feminist who was a left-winger until she decided that Islamic values had to be kept out of Europe & so it's plausible that he didn't realise how far right the party actually was.

Politically the only things he's ever consistent about are animal rights, hating governments/police/armies/the media/schools & resenting the UK class system/Royalty.

And he does seem mournful about his current disgrace - but he's lousy at ideology so he's babbling & sunk in self-pity & panic instead of finding a dignified way out of it.

I wish he'd just say he made a mistake & draw a line. (in 2015 he was dismissing ISIS as unimportant compared to the meat industry, which he wouldn't have done if his motivation was racism).
Have you actually listened to Anne Marie Waters speak?

I normally don't indulge in 'whataboutism' (especially after you called me a troll), but I think the clue in that case has to do with radical islam (which is actually racist, homophobic and misogynistic) and a feeling that no other parties takes the issue seriously (perhaps out of fear of being labeled a racist or islamophobic by people like you).

It’s not bigoted for a gay man to not want his country over ran by islam.

I don’t care because I actually pay attention to the entirety of what he says and does and not just one-liners that make headlines. It’s that hard, guys.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom