Morrissey is anti-immigrant backs a white nationalist party. Why don’t fans care? - LA Times

Morrissey is anti-immigrant and backs a white nationalist political party. Why don’t fans care? - Los Angeles Times
By Randall Roberts

The singer, who plays the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, has always enjoyed a special bond with his Southern California fans. But could hateful remarks about immigrants spoil that?

Excerpt:

Los Angeles Councilwoman Rodriguez, who facilitated the city’s 2017 Morrissey Day celebration, stresses this distinction between art and artist. Asked whether the singer’s recent provocations have caused her to reassess her fandom or the wisdom of her resolution, she says no. “Morrissey has had a long history of saying controversial commentary about England and the monarchy. I think it’s part of what he has always been.” She and her family have tickets to Saturday’s Bowl concert.

On a larger level, Rodriguez adds, “Everyone in this country and anywhere, in my belief, is entitled to their opinions, even if I am not a proponent of that mindset.” Artists have permission to be controversial, she says. “It is, by nature, art.”

That doesn’t mean Morrissey should get a pass, says Nic Harcourt, a morning drive-time DJ for KCSN and music supervisor. For a long time, Harcourt chose to laugh off many of Morrissey’s public rows. The singer even did a guest DJ session with Harcourt when the latter hosted “Mornings Become Eclectic” on KCRW.

“He’s always flirted with this right-wing thing. This didn’t just suddenly happen,” Harcourt says. Something has shifted, though, and it prompted a reckoning. “When he made it so obvious earlier this year, I decided I wasn’t going to play his music anymore on the radio.” (Harcourt stresses that he’s speaking as a DJ and not as a spokesman for KCSN.)

Morrissey’s manager, Katsis, said that most frustrating to him is that, artistically, his client is at the top of his game. The shows have been phenomenal, but the media is focused on what Morrissey says offstage. “It’s just his opinion, and it’s taken as gospel. That’s the most bizarre part of it.”

Katsis adds, “Everyone keeps repeating that Morrissey said, ‘The Chinese are a subspecies.’ That comment was made about the Chinese government, and everybody has problems with the way they treat people.” Katsis says that he recently received a request from a promoter for his client to play concerts in China. Morrissey wants to play there but wondered, “Do you think they’d let me in the country?”

Such tensions can drive great art, and can prompt an essential question on fandom: Which is more powerful, the thrill that rushes into your spirit when you connect with a song or album, or the disappointment that comes with realizing you don’t share essential values with its creator?

“Fandom is very personal,” says “Mozlandia” author Hidalgo. “It’s about the self. It’s selfish. You’re going to like something you like, and no one in the world is going to tell you not to do it. Because if they tell you not to do it, you’ll do it even more.”

Related Item:

Last edited:
It seems Katsis sees himself as the only person in the world who understands Morrissey e.g. when Morrissey said 'this' he meant 'that'.

Morrissey did not refer to the Chinese government - even if that is what he intended. He has never apologised or attempted to clearly put the record straight.

Since making that hateful, racist statement it has become all too clear why Morrissey could not and will not apologise for the comment - as his subsequent involvement with and promotion of For Britain attests - Morrissey is and, from his own mouth, supports racism.

His response to the world, once he has made another racist gaff, is to have his nephew post photos of black artists, politicians, activists etc. Why? If he cared a jot for any of these people why would he go out if his way to demean them in the first place?

I'm an ex-fan, once devoted, of over 30 years. I defended Morrissey for the longest time. I have no problem that he has a right to freely express his views. I, however, have no interest in supporting a racist.

In some ways I am pleased he made his views about For Britain public otherwise I may still be blinded to who Morrissey now is.

This recent North American tour has been very badly attended. It will seem like nothing compared to the third full venues (if he's lucky) if he attempts another UK tour.

Morrissey created this mess. Now Morrissey has to live with it. Katsis and the rest can make excuses for Morrissey but if Morrissey wanted to change minds about his recent behaviours he would apologise. Never, ever going to happen.

Why, then, did he choose to align with the far right For Britain, when for the reasons he ostensibly put forward including animal rights, he could have gone with the Greens or Libs Dems? Can you think of a reason why he chose to align with a 'party' too racist even for the fruitcakes of UKIP? Take your time on this.

He was seduced by Annie Waters a long time before she formed 'For Bigots'. He hasn't even properly read their manifesto. He was a fan of hers when she was in UKIP, and in Labour before then. Had she won the UKIP leadership election, that would have been it (he would then have simply supported a slightly unpleasant but essentially harmless fringe party). But she didn't so she went and formed For Bigots. It was obviously her that attracted him to them. She's a feminist, vegan lesbian and that ticks all the boxes as far as Steve is concerned, and that's the reason he backs her/them over the Greens or Liberals. Steve is an absolute political lightweight - he simply does not understand the basics. Because he's pretty clever in other areas of life, many people have yet to grasp this simple truth.

You really can't defend a statement like that. Don't even try. I mean "rice farmer"? Why not "computer tech"? Do you see where I'm going with this?
shaggy you and scooby doo should be out investigating a dilapidated fairground instead of being on here on a Friday morning,haloween is round the corner and we all know scooby doo cant wait.

You really can't defend a statement like that. Don't even try. I mean "rice farmer"? Why not "computer tech"? Do you see where I'm going with this?
What's wrong with calling someone a "rice farmer". Is a "computer tech" somehow superior?
Do you see where I'm going with this?

God people are such black and white thinkers. Morrissey is not ‘right wing’. That’s the problem with the extreme left is that anyone who remotely entertains an idea that isn’t extreme left is immediately labeled “right wing!!” It was only a couple of years ago before the last presidential election he was talking about how bad republicans and Trump were. He also isn’t “anti-immigration”, he just wasn’t freely saying “let anyone in no matter what!!” Which again, to the extreme left, if you don’t hold that view you are “right wing”. Morrissey hold some views right of centre and some views left of centre. Think of his stance against big business like the meat industry or pharma, his progressive stance on gender acceptance etc.

People just can’t seem to wrap their heads around someone who thinks one side of centre about some things and other side about other things. The word centrist has been thrown around for some people, that would describe him better than right wing.

Me - f*** you, f*** Morrissey, f*** racism.

“but I’m still gonna hang around and follow every little thing the man does with clinical obsession”

If you had a food you absolutely hated, would you keep eating it? You undermine your own argument. If you truly felt this way about Morrissey you’d just up and leave and get on with tour life. The fact you just keep going and going and going just betrays the fact you don’t actually care about anything Morrissey says or does - you just have a personal vendetta against him thanks to David. This isn’t about his views or beliefs, it’s purely about him. Which makes your obsessive hate of him even creepier.

The article makes a good attempt at laying out the evidence. The incontrovertible evidence. Read it. It's all there.

The quote from Katsis is so, so telling - “It certainly hasn’t had any effect in our best markets (my emphasis) like L.A., New York and San Diego. Most U.S. fans don’t care, or even know enough about U.K. politics, to have an opinion on what Morrissey posts.”

There you have it - he tours where the crowd don't know about the racist comments in Britain and where there's money to be made. I've said it for ages, and now Katsis admits it.

And as for Rodriguez - what kind of a position is that?

Morrissey - says a long line of bigoted, racist things
Fan - 'Well, that's what artists do"

Who are you for criticizing Mrs Rodríguez?

Last edited:
Old Trill the Troll at it again. Nothing to contribute but his passive-aggressive little troll button. What an absolute cowardly wet stain.

The article makes a good attempt at laying out the evidence. The incontrovertible evidence. Read it. It's all there.

The quote from Katsis is so, so telling - “It certainly hasn’t had any effect in our best markets (my emphasis) like L.A., New York and San Diego. Most U.S. fans don’t care, or even know enough about U.K. politics, to have an opinion on what Morrissey posts.”

There you have it - he tours where the crowd don't know about the racist comments in Britain and where there's money to be made. I've said it for ages, and now Katsis admits it.

Me - You're always good for a yawn Pete...trotting out the same old lines, the same old story; no one is listening.
Me - Now f*** off yourself.

Skinny the people in the UK didnt know what Brexit was and the people in the USA dont know about Moz comments despite being in all media regularly. Maybe you should send everyone a telegram.
You've lost the plot, Skinny. Just because you have adopted Islam does not mean everyone is supposed to follow your example. Who do you think you are are? Zeus?

Has anyone here stopped listening to The Beatles because John Lennon was abusive to his female partners?

No.

Has anyone here stopped listening to records that Phil Spector produced since you’ve found out that he's in prison for murder?

No.

Has anyone stopped watching movies that Harvey Weinstein produced?

No.

Has anyone stopped watching Kevin Spacey films?

No.

Has anyone stopped listening to Jay Z's records after you'd found out that he used to deal drugs?

No.

Has anyone stoppd listening to Eric Clapton's records because of some racist shit that he'd said on stage a while back?

No.

So should I stop listening to Morrissey's records because he supported some party?

No, I shouldn't and I won't. I never will.

@ Morrissey&The Band Looking forward to your next album!

Why, then, did he choose to align with the far right For Britain, when for the reasons he ostensibly put forward including animal rights, he could have gone with the Greens or Libs Dems? Can you think of a reason why he chose to align with a 'party' too racist even for the fruitcakes of UKIP? Take your time on this.

The Lib Dems & The Greens don't have anti-unstunned slaughter policies. The Greens are environmental conservationists, not animal liberationists. The Lib Dems have no especial animal welfare agenda. Whereas Anne Marie has made a big deal out of animal rights.

I don't think he's read the manifesto - it's hugely authoritarian apart from anything else & I doubt he realised how closely aligned she was with Europe's far right identity parties. He would have picked Britain First or some other far right party sooner rather than following her as a person.

I think he went astray because of veganism, because 'ISIS' targeted a gay nightclub, concerts & a magazine within a short space of time & because he's always wanted something British that didn't clash with his Irishness & what better than a British party led by an Irish lesbian?

I know he has no history of acknowledging a mistake, apologising & moving on, but I hope that's what he does rather battling on way out of his depth, which is what he's doing now.

I'm hopeful because while his latest statement was paranoid about the press trying to kill him, he doesn't mention For Britain, just halal slaughter.

It seems Katsis sees himself as the only person in the world who understands Morrissey e.g. when Morrissey said 'this' he meant 'that'.

Morrissey did not refer to the Chinese government - even if that is what he intended. He has never apologised or attempted to clearly put the record straight.

Since making that hateful, racist statement it has become all too clear why Morrissey could not and will not apologise for the comment - as his subsequent involvement with and promotion of For Britain attests - Morrissey is and, from his own mouth, supports racism.

His response to the world, once he has made another racist gaff, is to have his nephew post photos of black artists, politicians, activists etc. Why? If he cared a jot for any of these people why would he go out if his way to demean them in the first place?

I'm an ex-fan, once devoted, of over 30 years. I defended Morrissey for the longest time. I have no problem that he has a right to freely express his views. I, however, have no interest in supporting a racist.

In some ways I am pleased he made his views about For Britain public otherwise I may still be blinded to who Morrissey now is.

This recent North American tour has been very badly attended. It will seem like nothing compared to the third full venues (if he's lucky) if he attempts another UK tour.

Morrissey created this mess. Now Morrissey has to live with it. Katsis and the rest can make excuses for Morrissey but if Morrissey wanted to change minds about his recent behaviours he would apologise. Never, ever going to happen.

He's insulted the entire human race never mind specific groups. Animal liberationists believe that animals are the most oppressed group on Earth & that if we're always kind to animals then we'll be kind to each other. It's batty & it does make them hugely insensitive to oppressed peoples.

He didn't say the Chinese were a subspecies, it was flip jibe for their animal welfare record - which is pretty awful. I have friends who try to make me watch the animal cruelty videos but I'd lose my mind if I did. The animals die in agony.

I am an animal rights activist but I've got a sense of balance & I protect my feelings. Morrissey doesn't. Which is why he's such an emotional singer & also why his politics are so extreme & nonconformist.

I am an animal rights activist but I've got a sense of balance & I protect my feelings. Morrissey doesn't. Which is why he's such an emotional singer & also why his politics are so extreme & nonconformist.

Has anyone here stopped listening to The Beatles because John Lennon was abusive to his female partners?

No.

Has anyone here stopped listening to records that Phil Spector produced since you’ve found out that he's in prison for murder?

No.

Has anyone stopped watching movies that Harvey Weinstein produced?

No.

Has anyone stopped watching Kevin Spacey films?

No.

Has anyone stopped listening to Jay Z's records after you'd found out that he used to deal drugs?

No.

Has anyone stoppd listening to Eric Clapton's records because of some racist shit that he'd said on stage a while back?

No.

So should I stop listening to Morrissey's records because he supported some party?

Erm. How did you source this? It's bold of you to think no one absolutely no one in any of the points stopped listening. Seems very much like something Morrissey might say in arrogance.

No.

You might not have stopped but I'm afraid thousands of people round the world have, including 60% of his pre 2018 fan-base (in the UK) have. The problem with his stance is that it undermines or contradicts nearly everything he and the Smiths ever stood for. He's urging us to vote for a political party that slashes taxes for the rich, abandons any attempts to address the climate crisis, and massively increase military expenditure. Unbelievably, though, he may not even realise this as he has just blindly followed Annie Walters (from UKIP and Labour) who he is understandably attracted to, due to her being a vegan, lesbian feminist. If he has any close friends or people in the record company that want to help him out of this career-destroying mess, they really need to point this stuff out to him, or just sit him down with the For Bigots manifesto, and check that he understands it.
It's extremely fortunate that he has a new album of songs recorded and ready for release. If he was currently sending demos out to record companies, and in search of a deal, he wouldn't stand a cat in hell's chance.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom