Morrissey is anti-immigrant backs a white nationalist party. Why don’t fans care? - LA Times

Morrissey is anti-immigrant and backs a white nationalist political party. Why don’t fans care? - Los Angeles Times
By Randall Roberts

The singer, who plays the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, has always enjoyed a special bond with his Southern California fans. But could hateful remarks about immigrants spoil that?

Excerpt:

Los Angeles Councilwoman Rodriguez, who facilitated the city’s 2017 Morrissey Day celebration, stresses this distinction between art and artist. Asked whether the singer’s recent provocations have caused her to reassess her fandom or the wisdom of her resolution, she says no. “Morrissey has had a long history of saying controversial commentary about England and the monarchy. I think it’s part of what he has always been.” She and her family have tickets to Saturday’s Bowl concert.

On a larger level, Rodriguez adds, “Everyone in this country and anywhere, in my belief, is entitled to their opinions, even if I am not a proponent of that mindset.” Artists have permission to be controversial, she says. “It is, by nature, art.”

That doesn’t mean Morrissey should get a pass, says Nic Harcourt, a morning drive-time DJ for KCSN and music supervisor. For a long time, Harcourt chose to laugh off many of Morrissey’s public rows. The singer even did a guest DJ session with Harcourt when the latter hosted “Mornings Become Eclectic” on KCRW.

“He’s always flirted with this right-wing thing. This didn’t just suddenly happen,” Harcourt says. Something has shifted, though, and it prompted a reckoning. “When he made it so obvious earlier this year, I decided I wasn’t going to play his music anymore on the radio.” (Harcourt stresses that he’s speaking as a DJ and not as a spokesman for KCSN.)

Morrissey’s manager, Katsis, said that most frustrating to him is that, artistically, his client is at the top of his game. The shows have been phenomenal, but the media is focused on what Morrissey says offstage. “It’s just his opinion, and it’s taken as gospel. That’s the most bizarre part of it.”

Katsis adds, “Everyone keeps repeating that Morrissey said, ‘The Chinese are a subspecies.’ That comment was made about the Chinese government, and everybody has problems with the way they treat people.” Katsis says that he recently received a request from a promoter for his client to play concerts in China. Morrissey wants to play there but wondered, “Do you think they’d let me in the country?”

Such tensions can drive great art, and can prompt an essential question on fandom: Which is more powerful, the thrill that rushes into your spirit when you connect with a song or album, or the disappointment that comes with realizing you don’t share essential values with its creator?

“Fandom is very personal,” says “Mozlandia” author Hidalgo. “It’s about the self. It’s selfish. You’re going to like something you like, and no one in the world is going to tell you not to do it. Because if they tell you not to do it, you’ll do it even more.”

Related Item:

Last edited:
Morrissey is racist. He has confirmed this directly several times. People can argue and speculate but facts cannot be changed no matter how consistently air brushed they become by arse licking fans and supposed journalists.

Even his own mindless self-interviews proved that he is racist - even when he is attempting to confirm the opposite.

He seems to suffer from racist tourettes.

Those of us stupid enough to follow and support him for so long have our part to play in his megalomania. We gave him oxygen and validated him. I accept my responsibility and do wonder how I could ever have been so stupid that I could not see what Morrissey was/is.

There is an argument that Morrissey isn't racist and is constanly misinterpreted. I used to hold that view until ...

each comment he made about race was laced with prejudice or outright racism.
Morrissey, and his fans, believe him to hold intelligence. No intelligent non- racist person would consistenly make racist statements. If the counter argument is, as James Maker alluded, that this is about stoking controversy. I simply ask why?

Morrissey's juvenile response to his racism have outed him for the fool that he is.

I say none of this with glee. I don't want it to be true. I make my comments with more than a tinge of sadness and sorely wish he would publicly apologise for his race related comments. You, I, the world knows he won"t.

But he hasn't been consistently making racist statements, that's why there's so much doubt. He's consistently rude & negative about nearly everything. What he's good at is expressing a maelstrom of mixed emotions. What he's not good at is accepting how political & social structures function. Life isn't fair. It just isn't. And no amount of defiance will make it so.

Bollocks. Muslims make up most of the terrorism in the world. If you think otherwise, you're an idiot.

I don't think otherwise. That is true right now. It's changed during my lifetime, though; like I said, when I was a kid, terrorism meant IRA. It may change again. The point is, Islam doesn't have a monopoly on terrorism.

I don't think otherwise. That is true right now. It's changed during my lifetime, though; like I said, when I was a kid, terrorism meant IRA. It may change again. The point is, Islam doesn't have a monopoly on terrorism.
"I have a refrigerator to sell you too!' the Eskimo told him in return.

You can't argue with facts when they are presented in such a stark manner. Oh, hold on, no facts were provided. Typical mealy-mouthed racism from the interminably stupid hofmann.
The facts are already provided. They're out there. In this case, one simple link in this instance speaks volumes for Islam in how it views the value of life. All life for that matter. These are animals., yes. How many more illustrations do you need? What is the 'intrinsic equal dignity and moral worth of all human life' to you? The Shoebat site alone provides all the information you will need. What more do you want? He is a former terrorist. He is a former Muslim. Do you work for CAIR?

Uh, huh. Particularly religious men of other religions have never murdered anyone. You really are as dim as you seem.
You're kidding, right? Shoebat is a former terrorist and former Muslim. Go through the Shoebat site and get back to me. There is plenty of information there for you.

The facts are already provided. They're out there. In this case, one simple link in this instance speaks volumes for Islam in how it views the value of life. All life for that matter. These are animals., yes. How many more illustrations do you need? What is the 'intrinsic equal dignity and moral worth of all human life' to you? The Shoebat site alone provides all the information you will need. What more do you want? He is a former terrorist. He is a former Muslim. Do you work for CAIR?

You shouting your mouth off in a forum does not constitute fact.
You myopically singling out one Muslim tells me all I need to know about you.

Cheerio!

Morrissey's views on Islam are not unfounded in the least as another example to your discussion. His overall position is ironclad for various reasons and is anything but simplistic and black and white. You will never hear anything about this coming from the Leftist mainstream media. Peaceful? This is far worse! It's not for food. And for what, amusement? 'Pictures forbidden'? Yeah, right! Take a look at the following link of 'pictures,' if you are willing:

http://shoebat.com/2016/05/31/saudi...cats-are-forbidden-but-thats-the-least-of-it/
This is a portrait of our globalist future yet to come. How nice! :crazy:

Have you forgotten Munich? All the plane hi-jacks in the 70's? Who committed them?

You shouting your mouth off in a forum does not constitute fact.
You myopically singling out one Muslim tells me all I need to know about you.

Cheerio!
Hey, everyone has an opinion that Cheerios are for kids. Come on now.

The IRA mostly gave phoned warnings before their bombs so police could clear the area. Their war with Britain was economic. Yes, occasionally this didn't work out and there were terrible mistakes. But had they never given these warnings on their English bombing campaigns the death toll would be absolutely colossal.

Islamists never give warnings before their attacks. The are not trying to hit Britain economically - they want a death toll as high as possible. In Manchester they specifically targeted female children.

This is a completely different ball game. This is out and out war. Comparing the IRA to Islamist terrorists is simply ignorant.

The IRA mostly gave phoned warnings before their bombs so police could clear the area. Their war with Britain was economic. Yes, occasionally this didn't work out and there were terrible mistakes. But had they never given these warnings on their bombing campaigns the death toll would be absolutely colossal.

Islamists never give warnings before their attacks. The are not trying to hit Britain economically - they want a death toll as high as possible. In Manchester they specifically targeted female children.

This is a completely different ball game. This is out and out war. Comparing the IRA to Islamist terrorists is simply ignorant.

If anything the biggest threat to the US appears to be White Supremacists at the moment : https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...ority-of-domestic-terrorism-arrests-this-year

It's probably the same in the UK.

(And don't waste your time posting links to arrests of Muslims ... unless you also post up links of all the crimes committed by Christians and Catholics).

If anything the biggest threat to the US appears to be White Supremacists at the moment : https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...ority-of-domestic-terrorism-arrests-this-year

It's probably the same in the UK.

(And don't waste your time posting links to arrests of Muslims ... unless you also post up links of all the crimes committed by Christians and Catholics).
The media are fond of saying the biggest threat to the UK is white supremacism too - but how many white supremacist bombs have gone off lately in Britain?

The last one was in 1999 and that was by a single lone nut!

The media are fond of saying the biggest threat to the UK is white supremacism too - but how many white supremacist bombs have gone off lately in Britain?

The last one was in 1999 and that was by a single lone nut!

Do go on oh wizened one. Oh, I see you have. When I think single, sad, pathetic, lonely nut, I think Reelfountain.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom