Morrissey questionnaire: Melody Maker, 5th January 1991

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
Unearthed from the Frady archives; for your pleasure?​

As part of the "Melody Maker" 1990 Pick of the Year feature, 'A selection of Maker favourites (?!) look back on the best and worst of 1990 and forward to the New Year' ~

Morrissey

Best Single: "I'm Hardly Ever Wrong" ~ The Would-Be's

Best Album: "Viva Dead Ponies" ~ Fatima Mansions

Most Despicable Record: "World in Motion" ~ England World Cup squad and New Order

Best Gig: The one where the musicians actually played their own instruments (ie it hasn't happened yet)

Best Film/TV Show: "Vic Reeves' Big Night Out"

Most Memorable Experience: Not reforming The Smiths

What Did You Spend Most Money On?: Income Tax

Non-Event of 1990: The New Whimsical Express

Person Who Made the Most Impact: Other people's solicitors

Biggest High of the Year: Recording "Kill Uncle"

Most Sadly Missed: Me

Man of the Year: Not Heseltine

Woman of the Year: Clare Short, the next Labour Prime Minister

Most Original Thought You Had This Year: Yes, I will have that extra pint after all

Favourite Work of Art this Year: Bob Mortimer

What Phrase Would You Use to Describe 1990?: 1968

What Will Your New Year's Resolution Be?: f*** Dance, Let's Art

What Would You Most Like to See Happen in 1991?: Sterling survives, Gascoigne doesn't, Weller returns, "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" represents Norway in the Eurovision Song Contest (and loses), Hello to B Bragg

Dirk Bogarde Singer Not The Song pussy cat.jpg

Last edited:
Unearthed from the Frady archives; for your pleasure?​

As part of the "Melody Maker" 1990 Pick of the Year feature, 'A selection of Maker favourites (?!) look back on the best and worst of 1990 and forward to the New Year' ~

Morrissey

Best Single: "I'm Hardly Ever Wrong" ~ The Would-Be's

Best Album: "Viva Dead Ponies" ~ Fatima Mansions

Most Despicable Record: "World in Motion" ~ England World Cup squad and New Order

Best Gig: The one where the musicians actually played their own instruments (ie it hasn't happened yet)

Best Film/TV Show: "Vic Reeves' Big Night Out"

Most Memorable Experience: Not reforming The Smiths

What Did You Spend Most Money On?: Income Tax

Non-Event of 1990: The New Whimsical Express

Person Who Made the Most Impact: Other people's solicitors

Biggest High of the Year: Recording "Kill Uncle"

Most Sadly Missed: Me

Man of the Year: Not Heseltine

Woman of the Year: Clare Short, the next Labour Prime Minister

Most Original Thought You Had This Year: Yes, I will have that extra pint after all

Favourite Work of Art this Year: Bob Mortimer

What Phrase Would You Use to Describe 1990?: 1968

What Will Your New Year's Resolution Be?: f*** Dance, Let's Art

What Would You Most Like to See Happen in 1991?: Sterling survives, Gascoigne doesn't, Weller returns, "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" represents Norway in the Eurovision Song Contest (and loses), Hello to B Bragg

View attachment 58917

Imagine being confident that Labour would have a female leader...

& he was rude about psychedelic rock in the last interview you posted, rude about Dance in this one... yet I had a music PR cite Moz saying 'reggae is vile' as one of his unacceptable statements.

how did his contemporaries read all of this stuff & conclude that the real him was a couple of off-sentences or sentiments (in their eyes)???

It's bizarre.

I can see why he'd like this - insolence & anarchy.

& this is very catchy.

He always picks obscure things.

Last edited by a moderator:
í remember tracking down The Would-Be's EPs that year and being charmed by them. Trombones-a-go-go.

And of course they opened for Moz at the Dublin show in April that year. A dream and a nightmare all at once, í would imagine.

í saw Fatima Mansions open for U2 in Glasgow the following summer. Car-crash-cocktail doesn't even begin to describe that night...

í remember tracking down The Would-Be's EPs that year and being charmed by them. Trombones-a-go-go.

And of course they opened for Moz at the Dublin show in April that year. A dream and a nightmare all at once, í would imagine.

í saw Fatima Mansions open for U2 in Glasgow the following summer. Car-crash-cocktail doesn't even begin to describe that night...

Me too! They had two different vocalists, but I didn’t really notice, Morrissey probably didn’t either, not that it matters. An original band. Made me think of the Dog Faced Hermans though they’re more post-punk and less pop.

Morrissey describing 1990 as 1968 (along with the ‘f*** dance.. ‘ comment ) must be a jibe at the then current Madchester retro-60’s thing that came and went.

"Most Sadly Missed: Me

Most Original Thought You Had This Year: Yes, I will have that extra pint after all"

Is this 2020?

(Thank you for posting this. I'm glad you found it after all!)

"Most Sadly Missed: Me

Most Original Thought You Had This Year: Yes, I will have that extra pint after all"

Is this 2020?

(Thank you for posting this. I'm glad you found it after all!)

You're welcome.
And yes, í had completely mis-remembered the Weller flowers remark. Misplaced it from the "Q " questionnaire. Which is worrying, as í thought í had that one entirely emblazoned on my mind.

Nobody did the questionnaire format better than SPM; the "Sunday Correspondent" one with Rosanna Greenstreet from October 1990 being the zenith of the art form. And he knew it. Who else would print up an interview with themselves on their Tour Apparel...?

You're welcome.
And yes, í had completely mis-remembered the Weller flowers remark. Misplaced it from the "Q " questionnaire. Which is worrying, as í thought í had that one entirely emblazoned on my mind.

Nobody did the questionnaire format better than SPM; the "Sunday Correspondent" one with Rosanna Greenstreet from October 1990 being the zenith of the art form. And he knew it. Who else would print up an interview with themselves on their Tour Apparel...?

Absolutely agree. I'll be thinking of that one while I make the journey from consciousness to unconsciousness, hoping to be dreaming of next door's cat.

Absolutely agree. I'll be thinking of that one while I make the journey from consciousness to unconsciousness, hoping to be dreaming of next door's cat.

In your black railway signalman's cap. With yer lodger ;)

With some bed-time reading...?

Universal Dictionary.jpg

You're welcome.

Is that available somewhere, per chance? Tried Google, but no luck.

The "Sunday Correspondent" was a short-lived, low-circulation affair that barely lasted a year, and folded, permanently, the month after Morrissey's appearance in its pages.

Being the 'sort' that í am, í can still recall that late Sunday October afternoon when my Mum said "Did you see that one that you like in one of the magazines today? He looks like he could use a good..."

í never found out what Morrissey could use a good one of, as í had sprinted into the next room to rifle through the pile of 'Sundays', and rescued the above gem for The Collection.

í think we only bought it by mistake.

Mum's eh? :hearteyes:

The "Sunday Correspondent" was a short-lived, low-circulation affair that barely lasted a year, and folded, permanently, the month after Morrissey's appearance in its pages.

Being the 'sort' that í am, í can still recall that late Sunday October afternoon when my Mum said "Did you see that one that you like in one of the magazines today? He looks like he could use a good..."

í never found out what Morrissey could use a good one of, as í had sprinted into the next room to rifle through the pile of 'Sundays', and rescued the above gem for The Collection.

í think we only bought it by mistake.

Mum's eh? :hearteyes:

MozHump.jpg

(Your mom sounds great. My father would collect clippings of things he knew I was interested in from the paper he'd always read at work.)

View attachment 58954

(Your mom sounds great. My father would collect clippings of things he knew I was interested in from the paper he'd always read at work.)

Johnny's advice is the same that Shaun Ryder gave to Sinéad O'Connor back in the daze. As a cure for all her ills. Sinéad seemed to agree, í remember.

The question would be, was Johnny offering? :brows:

Johnny's advice is the same that Shaun Ryder gave to Sinéad O'Connor back in the daze. As a cure for all her ills. Sinéad seemed to agree, í remember.

The question would be, was Johnny offering? :brows:

That is the question indeed.

One thing's for sure though, Johnny was wrong. Humping didn't help.

Back
Top Bottom