Morrissey vs other artists at 60

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
Tim Booth is 60 today. Are the latest James-records any better than Morrissey's last albums? Nah.
Are The Cure's? Bunnymen's? Jesus and Mary Chain's? Lloyd Cole's?
Were Iggy's? Or Lou's? I think the answer is always a big fat no.

Only Bowie and Cohen are the exception here, but that was a last grasp. Moz isn't there yes, thankfully.

Last edited:
Tim Booth is 60 today. Are the latest James-records any better than Morrissey's last albums? Nah?

Only Bowie and Cohen are the exception here, but that was a last grasp. Moz isn't there yes, thankfully.

Have to disagree here. In my opinion I think James and although not on your list, New Orders last album are superior to Morrissey's recent output. Agree that the others are on a par or worse. At the end of the day, an answer to a question like this can only be based on each persons opinions unless you base it on something tangible like record sales?

Tim Booth is 60 today. Are the latest James-records any better than Morrissey's last albums? Nah.

''The Next Day'' came out exactly 3 years prior to Boiwie's death, hardly a last grasp. Also not trying to be morbid, but we can never tell which is Morrissey's last grasp.
Also Pet Shop Boys''"Electric'' and ''Hotspot'' , and Nick Cave's ''Skeleton Tree'' are better than Morrissey's last albums. Which is a question of point of view but this is what this thread is for.

Have to disagree here. In my opinion I think James and although not on your list, New Orders last album are superior to Morrissey's recent output. Agree that the others are on a par or worse. At the end of the day, an answer to a question like this can only be based on each persons opinions unless you base it on something tangible like record sales?
Yes, it is very personal. I do really like New Order's last one too. But releasing a one-off record after a 10 year hiatus is always going to be received much more eagerly so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

As for something tangible like record sales, we've discussed thios before, I also think Moz' chart perfomances these last 5 years hold up really well compared to the other artist's I mentioned.

To be fair, The Cure’s last album was released in 2008, when Robert Smith was 49. But yeah, that album is their worst ever album. However, they are getting ready to release a new one, and judging by some of the new stuff they’ve been playing live, it’s gonna be a darkly epic masterpiece.

And Iggy’s Post Pop Depression was universally acclaimed and rightly so. His strongest and most coherent album since the 70s.

To be fair, The Cure’s last album was released in 2008, when Robert Smith was 49. But yeah, that album is their worst ever album. However, they are getting ready to release a new one, and judging by some of the new stuff they’ve been playing live, it’s gonna be a darkly epic masterpiece.
I know. And Morrissey released much better records at that age.
Yes, looking forward to the new Cure, too. After 12 years it is bound to do a lot better than their last two. And it better be a lot better too!

I know. And Morrissey released much better records at that age.
Yes, looking forward to the new Cure, too. After 12 years it is bound to do a lot better than their last two. And it better be a lot better too!
He most definitely did!

Yes, it is very personal. I do really like New Order's last one too. But releasing a one-off record after a 10 year hiatus is always going to be received much more eagerly so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

As for something tangible like record sales, we've discussed thios before, I also think Moz' chart perfomances these last 5 years hold up really well compared to the other artist's I mentioned.

I agree on New Order, they always seem to have a few years between releases but maybe this is a good thing from a quality perspective. Music Complete received rave reviews and went silver in the charts. And yes Morrissey's chart positions do hold up well with other artists, however from a concert attendance I don't think he does, compared to James and particularly New Order , who sell out anywhere they play.

And Iggy’s Post Pop Depression was universally acclaimed and rightly so. His strongest and most coherent album since the 70s.

4:13 Dream is an underrated album.

Starts with this:

There's also this:

And this:

This too:

I agree on New Order, they always seem to have a few years between releases but maybe this is a good thing from a quality perspective. Music Complete received rave reviews and went silver in the charts. And yes Morrissey's chart positions do hold up well with other artists, however from a concert attendance I don't think he does, compared to James and particularly New Order , who sell out anywhere they play.
James really? Outside of the UK they are very small. They only did one show here in the past 20 years, for some 1200 people and it barely sold out.
I don't think they could pull a US tour with 100,000 tickets sold like Moz did last autumn. Never mind a Broadway recidency ;)

New Order do well, but that's because they don't tour that much, only the last couple of years. So the demand is huge.
Moz has been constantly touring so he satiated the need a little bit. Still venues like Wembley or Leeds Arena aren't too bad.

James really? Outside of the UK they are very small. They only did one show here in the past 20 years, for some 1200 people and it barely sold out.
I don't think they could pull a US tour with 100,000 tickets sold like Moz did last autumn. Never mind a Broadway recidency ;)

New Order do well, but that's because they don't tour that much, only the last couple of years. So the demand is huge.
Moz has been constantly touring so he satiated the need a little bit. Still venues like Wembley or Leeds Arena aren't too bad.

Yes I agree but in the UK they regularly sell out arenas and places like Castlefield Bowl twice and you may not be aware but they had a 30 date tour of the US and Canada last year playing halls with a capacity of 2000 in general. The last night of the tour was the Greek Theatre in LA which holds 5300.

Last edited:
4:13 Dream is an underrated album.

Starts with this:

There's also this:

And this:

This too:

Thanks, I know this album (else I wouldn't have commented on it). Underneath the Stars is a poor man's Plainsong and I don't care for it. THG and RW are good guitar pop songs and album highlights. It's Over is also good and very out there. The album isn't bereft of redeemable moments, but all in all it's definitely their weakest ever.

Yes I agree but in the UK they regularly sell out arenas and places like Castlefield Bowl twice and you may not be aware but they had a 30 date tour of the US and Canada last year playing halls with a capacity of 2000 in general. The last night of the tour was the Greek Theatre in LA which holds 5300.
I was lucky enough to catch James in Minnesota last summer. Finally! It was a long wait for me. I had tickets back in the early 90s at First Avenue in Minneapolis but they had to cancel due to Tim's bad back. I waited for years to get a chance. The venue seats about 1500 but it was sold out. They co-headlined with Psychedelic Furs. Tim came out into the crowd and I snapped this pic as he stood behind me. Absolutely amazing show.
james.JPG

I was lucky enough to catch James in Minnesota last summer. Finally! It was a long wait for me. I had tickets back in the early 90s at First Avenue in Minneapolis but they had to cancel due to Tim's bad back. I waited for years to get a chance. The venue seats about 1500 but it was sold out. They co-headlined with Psychedelic Furs. Tim came out into the crowd and I snapped this pic as he stood behind me. Absolutely amazing show.
View attachment 54285

Great picture!

Great picture!
He was singing Sound. Cool thing about James is I was checking their setlists leading up to the show and they were all different so I had no idea what to expect. I know Morrissey gets a lot of crap for not changing up his setlist during his tours but to be fair to him, not many artists do. While I have your attention Surface, I would like to thank you for introducing me to Suede a few years back. Now if they would ever tour the US... The Blue Hour was just excellent!

View attachment 54285

WTF!!! what a bald headed twat:oldman:
and a SOCK SOCK SOCKO group.:rage:
James SUCKS :rat::basketball::basketball:s thats how much they stink:bowling:

to say nothing of New Order , a group considered one of the ALL TIME WORST:hearnoevil:
they max suck.:nomouth:

He was singing Sound. Cool thing about James is I was checking their setlists leading up to the show and they were all different so I had no idea what to expect. I know Morrissey gets a lot of crap for not changing up his setlist during his tours but to be fair to him, not many artists do. While I have your attention Surface, I would like to thank you for introducing me to Suede a few years back. Now if they would ever tour the US... The Blue Hour was just excellent!

Yes it’s good that they do that, I saw them a couple of times in 2018 and it was a radically different set at each gig. Glad you like Suede, another great band!

I’m off to see The National for 2 nights at Brixton Academy in June and they have already said each night will be a totally different set.

WTF!!! what a bald headed twat:oldman:
and a SOCK SOCK SOCKO group.:rage:
James SUCKS :rat::basketball::basketball:s thats how much they stink:bowling:

to say nothing of New Order , a group considered one of the ALL TIME WORST:hearnoevil:
they max suck.:nomouth:

Oh here you go again, hardly anyone responds to you, so you try to be even more controversial. It’s the same pattern time and time again, you silly boring repetitive c***.

At least you have me to keep you company.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom