Morrissey's new covers album - what do we know about it so far?

I know, and so Moz would have argued.
But from a record company’s perspective it was a single they could work with to promote a new Morrissey record. I’m not sure they can with Lady Willpower or It’s Over.

In any case the built-up to this album’s release seems even stranger than previous ones.

Also said:
Oh dear - Morrissey myth number 327. That the record company determines whether songs get played by radio stations. Absolute bollocks. Morrissey is a very well known act. Radio stations are very familiar with his singing voice, and know whether he will appeal to their audience. They will play his songs but only if the quality is good enough. They won't if it isn't. Nothing to do with the record company.

Well, maybe Moz simply leaked the tracklisting and release date on a South American website to put pressure on BMG on releasing it.
BMG seem very hesitant to release it now.
Maybe BMG is unhappy about CS for not having any single material to promote it with.

Also, I think Moz will be quite disappointed about BMG’s support for Chain Gang, which in the UK didn’t get past the C-listings. It certainly would have had a better chance had it been released as the lead-off single for CS but Moz probably demanded it to be released on its own.

It’s all speculation, but a March release for CS seems out of the question.

Maybe, maybe, maybe...
Maybe everything is fine with BMG and we will get some release-news very soon. March has been a rumour only and we don’t have to panic as we are still very early in the year...

Are BMG big on promotion though. James and Echo and the Bunnymen are both on BMG and had new albums out last year. Don’t recall much promotion for either of them?

Promotion at this point is not what we are looking for.
But just acknowledging the album at this point would be enough. Or preferably a release date ;)

Various scraps of info have been released or leaked to date.
Let's bring them all together:
  • There are 12 songs
  • The regular band were holed up in the studio for 3 weeks with Joe Chiccarelli producing
  • One song appears to be a Tim Buckley cover with an orchestral arrangement (photo of the sheet music)
  • One might be a Klaus Nomi song (a cover by Steve has been registered on a website)
  • Two songs feature a lady called LP. We don't know if they're her songs but one might presume they're probably not
  • He might have covered Run Powell Run by Laurel Aitkin as the original record sleeve is currently on Morrissey Central website
  • We know he's recorded Back on the Chain Gang
So that is 6 songs out of the 12 potentially accounted for, although LP could potentially feature on two of the other songs above, meaning 4 might be known about.

Any more info?

What Klaus Nomi song was it? Der Nussbaum? Death? Perhaps LP features on it? What website was it registered on?

What Klaus Nomi song was it? Der Nussbaum? Death? Perhaps LP features on it? What website was it registered on?
The rumour came from the 'Morrissey Chile' IG account circa last September.
The Klaus report cites PRS, but of course: no screen shot, link or solid proof (no song given).
You will need to register to view anything on PRS.
The rumour was never substantiated (they also cited The Ramones - same lack of evidence).
Regards,
FWD.

Still waiting for the cover of “Irish Blood, Racist at Heart”

Various scraps of info have been released or leaked to date.
Let's bring them all together:
  • There are 12 songs
  • The regular band were holed up in the studio for 3 weeks with Joe Chiccarelli producing
  • One song appears to be a Tim Buckley cover with an orchestral arrangement (photo of the sheet music)
  • One might be a Klaus Nomi song (a cover by Steve has been registered on a website)
  • Two songs feature a lady called LP. We don't know if they're her songs but one might presume they're probably not
  • He might have covered Run Powell Run by Laurel Aitkin as the original record sleeve is currently on Morrissey Central website
  • We know he's recorded Back on the Chain Gang
So that is 6 songs out of the 12 potentially accounted for, although LP could potentially feature on two of the other songs above, meaning 4 might be known about.

Any more info?

I haven't heard any of his new cover versions, but I can say with certainty that they're shit. I still haven't heard his last album, but I know it was shit too. He's incapable of making good music now.

Back
Top Bottom