Munich Air Disaster - Spoken words

ACTON

Don't Leave Us In The Dark
Did anyone else notice the spoken words at the very end of Munich Air Disaster? Very faintly you can hear a man saying "Thats not funny". I never noticed it on the CD in my car but heard it on my phone. Played it today in car and turned the volume way up at the end and was able to hear it. Funny the things you hear even after listening to a song hundreds of times.

You've only just noticed that? Let this be a lesson to you: instead of listening in your car, buy a CD, a hi-fi and some decent headphones! :p

Good spot.
Alluded to by a guest here in 2004:

"This may be a reference to what one of the players said when the plane was trying to take off for a second and fatal time, while some players laughed nervously one of them cant remember which one said "its not funny" or words to that effect."

The information regarding this is scarce and the plane actually made 3 attempts to fly not 2.

Edit: See Cornflakes' thorough and more accurate quote below for the possible inspiration of that phrase.

Obviously, it could be studio 'banter', but the comment could well fit - especially if Moz had it written down in one of his books somewhere.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
I used to tell people in the old chatroom that the best way of listening to music is through a surround system. I always did back then when I listened to music a lot. That way I heard things you usually miss listening in other ways and you also get a very nice "sound image" in front of you as if the band is actually standing there.

I would never have heard Moz repeating my name Urban when he played in Malmö when someone in the crowd shouted out my name when Moz wanted the audience to mention crashing bores.

The person that did shout my name was from Germany and it is clear that Moz repeats it without having any idea who or what it is. This has been mentioned before somewhere on the forum and he also says "hello Nicholas" on a live album. Nick or Nicholas from Romford used to chat in the bluerose chatroom and back then wrote a letter to Moz which made Moz say "Hello Nicholas" at the end of a song.

There are many details to be found for the really interested.

Great info about a great Moz-song!
Couldn't understand the words as the sound of the propellers was echoing around in my head.
This song goes back to his child years and the impression of the disaster it made on him and as I understand on the whole of Manchester.

I am not completely informed about the disaster, only read about the enormous effect it had on the Manchester people cause they were going through very bitter and hard times and I believe there was a lot of poverty.
The promise and the pride of Manchester people, having their hope on the Busby babes for just a moment of glory and the sorrow and disillusionment following it are all there in this brilliant and deeply sad song.
Nobody ever could do that like Moz did.
And it's such a simple song.
I feel any one with a heart and feeling can relate to it, just by listening.

Good spot.
From a guest in the archive here in 2004 sounds credible:
"This may be a reference to what one of the players said when the plane was trying to take off for a second and fatal time, while some players laughed nervously one of them cant remember which one said "its not funny" or words to that effect."

The information regarding this is scarce and the plane actually made 3 attempts to fly not 2.
The closest I can find:
What Duncan Edwards' telegram to his landlady said.
"The silence on the aircraft was punctuated by a nervous cough, then a snigger."
Harry Gregg:
"I don't know what you are laughing at, we're all going to get killed here."

Obviously, it could be studio 'banter', but the comment could well fit - especially if Moz had it written down in one of his books somewhere.
Regards,
FWD.

It looks like that 2004 poster copied and pasted something a bit wrongly. FWIW, from Harry Gregg's autobiography:

Harry Gregg said:
The silence on the aircraft was punctuated by a nervous cough, then a snigger. Johnny Berry shouted, 'I don't know what you are laughing at, we're all going to get killed here'. Liam Whelan piped up, 'Well, if this is the time, I'm ready'. As I watched out of the window, the wheels began to lift off the ground. Then bang! There was a sudden crash and debris began bombarding me on all sides. One second it was light, the next dark. There was no screaming, no sounds, only the terrible shearing of metal. Something cracked my skull like a hard-boiled egg. I was hit again at the front. The salty taste of blood was in my mouth. I was afraid to put my hands to my head. An eerie stillness replaced the chaos, punctuated only by the interminable sound of hissing. All around was darkness, as if it was frozen in time.

It looks like that 2004 poster copied and pasted something a bit wrongly. FWIW, from Harry Gregg's autobiography:

Thanks for that cornflakes!
Much appreciated. :thumb:

You've only just noticed that? Let this be a lesson to you: instead of listening in your car, buy a CD, a hi-fi and some decent headphones! :p
I have all that but prefer to spend my home time with my family and not stuck in a corner with headphones on. I know I'm a dinosaur but am quite happy about that. I listen to music in my car or walking the dog. Or late at night at the weekend while supping craft beers and watching old reruns of Top Of The Pops on BBC4. Best channel on TV.
Ooh that sounds defensive. The 'you've only just noticed that' line slightly annoyed me when the answer is obviously 'yes'. As I am sure a lot of Moz fans wouldn't have noticed it either. It was far more faint than something more obvious than 'that you wouldn't want to know' from 'we'll let you know'.

Last edited:
I have all that but prefer to spend my home time with my family and not stuck in a corner with headphones on. I know I'm a dinosaur but am quite happy about that. I listen to music in my car or walking the dog. Or late at night at the weekend while supping craft beers and watching old reruns of Top Of The Pops on BBC4. Best channel on TV.
Ooh that sounds defensive. The 'you've only just noticed that' line slightly annoyed me when the answer is obviously 'yes'. As I am sure a lot of Moz fans wouldn't have noticed it either. It was far more faint than something more obvious than 'that you wouldn't want to know' from 'we'll let you know'.

You are the first happy dinosaur I've had the pleasure to encounter on this site and you make interesting and funny posts.
Which sort of dinosaur would you be?
Let me guess, it can't be any other then a T-Rex.
Am I right? ;)

Back
Top Bottom