Murray Chalmers (Morrissey's ex-manager) posts image on Instagram from "Another time, another place"

Link from an anonymous person:

murraychalmers: Another time, another place. I’ve found so many cards and notes from him including some great ones where we were trying to get in touch with Charles Hawtrey. I eventually phoned Charles Hawtrey and Mr H wasn’t at all happy.Didn’t know i had kept all this stuff!

full

Last edited:
Yeah, but the quiff had got soooo limp by 1995 - look at his appearance on Jools Holland:

Yet somehow it was bouncy and fulsome for his 'comeback years.' Some sort of intervention, chemical or surgical, surely?

To me, it just looks longer in '95 and greased rather than sprayed up.

elnett.jpg

I agree with Amy that the limp quiff situation in the 90s was mostly due to different styling. The 2004 quiff looks like it was blow dried and brushed into shape using a round brush and tons of hair spray, like he used to do it during The Smiths and up to his early 30s. That's what made it look so bouncy.
He stopped doing that so much around Vauxhall (I also think that he dyed his hair between 1993 and 1994 because all of a sudden it appeared to be much darker and there was less white in it than before or after).

This is a pretty sad quiff (1994)
gettyimages-85362446-612x612.jpg

White hair tends to be more wiry, so it will stand up better than non-white hair even if it isn't as voluminous as it used to be (source: I've worked in a hairdressing salon for years).

This one was taken in 2000, not much of a difference compared to 1997, just a bit longer at the top, in my opinion.
PA170412.jpeg

If you look at interviews or pictures from 2002, you'll see that the hair was longer (and dyed) at the top and styled in a different way than 2004 but there's not much difference in how full it looks.

For example:

Oh boy, I didn't really intend to write a whole paragraph about Morrissey's hair, but did it anyway.

I agree with Amy that the limp quiff situation in the 90s was mostly due to different styling. The 2004 quiff looks like it was blow dried and brushed into shape using a round brush and tons of hair spray, like he used to do it during The Smiths and up to his early 30s. That's what made it look so bouncy.
He stopped doing that so much around Vauxhall (I also think that he dyed his hair between 1993 and 1994 because all of a sudden it appeared to be much darker and there was less white in it than before or after).

View attachment 56718

White hair tends to be more wiry, so it will stand up better than non-white hair even if it isn't as voluminous as it used to be (source: I've worked in a hairdressing salon for years).

This one was taken in 2000, not much of a difference compared to 1997, just a bit longer at the top, in my opinion.
View attachment 56719

If you look at interviews or pictures from 2002, you'll see that the hair was longer (and dyed) at the top and styled in a different way than 2004 but there's not much difference in how full it looks.

For example:

Oh boy, I didn't really intend to write a whole paragraph about Morrissey's hair, but did it anyway.

Expertise is always appreciated!

(On a related note, I can't wait to see my hairdresser again.❤)

View attachment 56718

View attachment 56719

For example:

Is that a tigger mug next to Moz in the second pic? :LOL:

Is that a tigger mug next to Moz in the second pic? :LOL:

Yes, it is. I love this little detail (even though it's probably not his but was provided by the store where he did the signing.)

received_232284701391198.jpeg

View attachment 56718

View attachment 56719

For example:

Awesome job. Academic. Hats off!

Could í make a heartfelt request that this particular tangent be promoted to the main page, and pray let it continue for as long as this plague lasts...?

Thank You

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

It was impossible to conserve the greatness of the quiff of the early solo days, even if the fans would have liked to see it always like that. I never saw bis haircut 93-97 as being as puny as it is partly shown here. That suited a man in his mid-thirties very well. After the comeback, everything was ok. Very good for a dandy between 45 and 55, but unfortunately the latest developments give cause for concern.

The ultimate quiff remains the Jonathan Ross performance of "I've Changed My Plea to Guilty" in 1990. It borders on the supernatural.

Saturday Night Live 1992 remains my highlight. He looked and performed like being from another planet. The Jobriath factor.

The ultimate quiff remains the Jonathan Ross performance of "I've Changed My Plea to Guilty" in 1990. It borders on the supernatural.

It was out of this world. The only quiff that came close to its outrageousness was early Smiths quiff (that was almost a mohawk).

Last edited:
It was impossible to conserve the greatness of the quiff of the early solo days, even if the fans would have liked to see it always like that. I never saw bis haircut 93-97 as being as puny as it is partly shown here. That suited a man in his mid-thirties very well. After the comeback, everything was ok. Very good for a dandy between 45 and 55, but unfortunately the latest developments give cause for concern.

I love his mid-90s hair, it was just different. I did not mean to talk it down. Except the short hair in 1997. He looked great at that time, very fit, it's a shame he had to chop it off.

And another thing, many pictures don't do his current hair justice. When I saw him in March I noticed it's much nicer in real life than it looks on pictures. When he came on stage it was nicely coiffed, but that didn't last long with the sweating and also him constantly fiddling with it. Love or hate the mullet but his hair is fine for a man in his 60s.

He looked very good in 1997, even with his completely cropped hair and 20s clothes. Just watched his TOTP performance of "November" 1990. Outstanding quiff, make-up and performance.

He looked very good in 1997, even with his completely cropped hair and 20s clothes. Just watched his TOTP performance of "November" 1990. Outstanding quiff, make-up and performance.
Ah, yes, he looked great but the make-up wasn't the right shade for his skin tone, unfortunately. The eyeshadow is a bit too orangey.
It's also interesting to compare this performance to the Playboys TotP performance. He went from gay lumberjack to smokey-eyed goth Moz in just one year.

Smokey eyes. Tried them several times myself and therefore I like his version in 1990.
I love the winged eyeliner in the November Spawned A Monster music video.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom