New Cherry Red 'Manchester North Of England' compilation includes "Playboys" (July 28, 2017)

Includes Morrissey, Stone Roses, Joy Division, Oasis, and many, many, many more. My personal favourite from the list is Edward Barton's 'Me And My Mini"

7-disc ‘Manchester North of England’ features Joy Division, Stone Roses, Oasis, more - Slicing Up Eyeballs

Excerpt:

Cherry Red Records has finalized the tracklist for its massive Manchester North of England box set, a 7-disc collection due out next month that features 146 songs spanning 1977 to 1993 by such fabled Mancunians as Joy Divison, New Order, The Stone Roses, Morrissey (but not The Smiths), The Fall and Oasis.

The collection — its full title is Manchester North Of England: A Story Of Independent Music | Greater Manchester 1977-1993 — is due out July 28, and is up for pre-order now via Amazon.co.uk. The set takes its name, and cover image, from Bop Cassettes’ 1988 compilation.

40191_MANCHESTER-main-box-600x1057.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
bet lynchs legs,what a name for a group.

very good to see a lot of lesser known artists on this... which is the only real value of this release. Also a document to prove that something definitely was poured into the Manchester water supply in the late 70's that had a wonderful effect on many aspiring young troublemakers.

Wonderful collection of intriguingly individual songs.

Alas, one obvious omission is "I'm so cool", by The Bedflowers which contains the irony of the Manchester, north of England amongst it's lyrics.

Still in love with about 24 different people,

A grave man

Personally I thinkThe Smiths should've been on the disc but I guess royalties, and who is in charge to put a song on it, was maybe the problem though we never know untill one of them speaks

Last edited:
Personally I thinkThe Smiths should've been on the disc but I guess royalties, and who is in charge to put a song on it, was maybe the problem though we never know untill one of them speaks

Maybe it's a matter of royalties, like you said, since Warner's owns the rights of The Smiths.

Manchester, what a wonderful musical legacy.

Pity that some of the songs from the original MNoE aren't included, such as Sometimes by Penny Priest, and the change of song for others, like Dub Sex and Waltones. But for anyone who's never heard King Of The Slums or Train Set or (I could go on enthusiastically) there's a real treat in store. And no I Am Kloot but both Johnny Dangerously and Ambitious Beggars, oh well.

I can understand the no smiths but I was surprised there was no solo marr song

Back
Top Bottom