Morrissey Central "NEW RELEASE" (October 31, 2020)

Morrissey David Bowie, NYC ~ Linder.jpg

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/new-release

Morrissey's duet with David Bowie is released on Friday 13th November.

The digital download / streaming will be followed by a 7-inch disc on 19th February.

Sleeve front and back photographs of David Bowie and Morrissey were taken in New York City by Linder Sterling.

'Cosmic Dancer' is a song written by Marc Bolan.

The additional track is a cover of 'That's Entertainment' by Paul Weller. It is not the version generally available on the internet from 1993.

'Cosmic Dancer' is supported by an upgraded and edited video made in Los Angeles by Tim Broad.

The video and 'That's Entertainment' are also available on 13th November.

This recording is on Parlophone and is released through Warner.

Artwork (above) has been prepared by Darren Evans.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Still doesn't explain why someone on Central believes that this obscure, secret version from either 1994 or 1993, that not even Alain Whyte knows about, is available on the internet.

Sometimes I wonder if these announcements are circulated amongst Camp Moz via a game of Chinese whispers and that's the reason why relevant information gets lost or mixed up along the way...
But this seems to be a prophaner error. I understand it as: "That's Entertainment" from 1991 (!), has been downloaded by fans from the net for decades, as the original "Sing your life" single is out of print.

I like the idea that Boz did this at home (not now, back then) on his own. Like the "Perfect Day" Lou Reed cover from 1994, among others. He had a flow when it came to cover versions.

Last edited:
But this seems to be a prophaner error. I understand it as: "That's Entertainment" from 1991 (!), has been downloaded by fans from the net for decades, as the original "Sing your life" single is out of print.

I like the idea that Boz did this at home (not now, back then) on his own. Like the "Lucky Day", the Reed cover from 1994, among others. He had a flow when it came to cover versions.
The original single might be out of print, but the song was included on the Suedehead - The Best of Morrissey and the HMV/Parlophone singles collection and is widely available via official streaming etc., therefore I just find the phrasing very peculiar and the fact that both announcements don't correctly refer to the year the original b-side was actually released is puzzling to me.

I hope we will find out what this is all about when the single is released but, seeing how these things usually get communicated, I suspect we won't get a definitive answer as to when, where or why an alternative version or pieces of it were recorded and are released now.

I'm looking forward to hearing this on Bowie's spiritual home 6Music, with Morrissey's voice edited out. (Or is it, in fact, perfectly in line with the new BBC guidelines around impartiality / balance?)

:nomouth:

watch little :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:
try to release a duet with hookys computer chip:man:
has to always imitate Moz:blushing:

This photo on the cover is from 1992. I think this is when Bowie invited Morrissey to the studio to hear a cover of Morrissey's "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday" from Black Tie, White Noise.

Who else just smiles at the word Parlaphone on a Morrissey sleeve? Brings back good memories of those mid range singles....

Quite exciting news; I didn't even know he'd done this! I've heard Bowie was a bit of a knobhead in private, just read an interesting interview with Gary Numan on the subject.

I'll buy the 7".

I met Bowie one time and he was the perfect gentlemen. Nice beyond nice and VERY professional about Morrissey and the 95' debacle. Just an amazing man!

Is this the photo he wanted to use for the Playboys cover?
Yea, would have been amazing instead of that shit cover of Rick Astley. That cover single handily ended my collecting days! Never bought another single I was that pissed off about that Rick Roll cover art..............

I met Bowie one time and he was the perfect gentlemen. Nice beyond nice and VERY professional about Morrissey and the 95' debacle. Just an amazing man!
I saw Morrissey on that Bowie tour, Exeter Westpoint 1995. About 2 nights before he walked out. He was very good, the Bowie fans didn’t seem to think so though!

Where did you meet Bowie then? I’m honestly interested, not trying to stitch you up.

Yea, would have been amazing instead of that shit cover of Rick Astley. That cover single handily ended my collecting days! Never bought another single I was that pissed off about that Rick Roll cover art..............
I went to see Rick Astley in concert last year and he used that cover (amongst some other record sleeves) as a backdrop to one of his songs, was a nice nod to Moz.

I saw Morrissey on that Bowie tour, Exeter Westpoint 1995. About 2 nights before he walked out. He was very good, the Bowie fans didn’t seem to think so though!

Where did you meet Bowie then? I’m honestly interested, not trying to stitch you up.

I went to the first six nights of Bowie on the Outside tour. Yes, the crowd was not very interested in Morrissey. It was surprising for sure. Thought it would be more of a crossover audience. I did see Bret Anderson from Suede at the show in Wembley. On to your question...

I meet Bowie after he did a very small gig in Atlanta, GA at Smith's Ole Bar. We then followed him to the airport where we had a lovely chat and he signed some records for us. Very nice man. I walked away very impressed. Some other people of his stature or below have been dicks (aka Steven Tyler not a fan ran into by accident and he screamed at me)

I went to the first six nights of Bowie on the Outside tour. Yes, the crowd was not very interested in Morrissey. It was surprising for sure. Thought it would be more of a crossover audience. I did see Bret Anderson from Suede at the show in Wembley. On to your question...

I meet Bowie after he did a very small gig in Atlanta, GA at Smith's Ole Bar. We then followed him to the airport where we had a lovely chat and he signed some records for us. Very nice man. I walked away very impressed. Some other people of his stature or below have been dicks (aka Steven Tyler not a fan ran into by accident and he screamed at me)
Fair enough, I can’t argue with that. I’m glad he was nice. I often wonder if Morrissey would be!!

Was the Westpoint gig one of the one’s you went to then? It was my first ever gig!

Fair enough, I can’t argue with that. I’m glad he was nice. I often wonder if Morrissey would be!!

Was the Westpoint gig one of the one’s you went to then? It was my first ever gig!
Contrary to what the media says about Morrissey, he is a perfect gentlemen! One of the nicest people. He understands that fan relationship better than almost anyone. I love that picture of him at the New York Dolls show from the front row, pressed against the barrier. That says it all!

Sorry my adventure ended after Birmingham for two nights. I had to fly back to America for work. Earlier in 95' I had just done the complete Boxers tour in the UK so I got to see my fair share on that tour. Bowie was a surprise bonus for me.

Is the artwork the same photo that Bowie stopped being used on the “international playboys” reissue?

If Mozza is reading this thread, how about you releasing a (recently recorded) live album while we are all stuck in this farcical lockdown?

"In case some of you were unaware, the recording of us playing the #TRex tune, Cosmic Dancer with #Bowie is set for digital release Nov. 13. Vinyl 7” to follow the following week."

I thought it was 19th February (year unknown)...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom