Nine Times Fined - what does it mean?

Nevermind me, things can only improve.

I was just thinking about what the phrase "nine times fined" meant in Nobody Loves Us. I found this from searching the ol' Google:

http://books.google.com/books?id=yw...X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result#PPA269,M1

It states that under Old Saxon law, a murderer was fined nine times more mulct (penalty, punishment, fines).

Just an interesting find.

nine times more than what? :p

also, he says "we are just stood here" the way he says "stood at the urinal" in Boy Racer, instead of "standing". Is this right or wrong? I had this discussion before with The Cat's Mother, and she said that using "stood" for "standing" is not right.

also, he says "we are just stood here" the way he says "stood at the urinal" in Boy Racer, instead of "standing". Is this right or wrong? I had this discussion before with The Cat's Mother, and she said that using "stood" for "standing" is not right.

I understand that he's pointing with the word stood that someone/something is making them stand there (predujices from people and the musicpress, God, whatever..). With the lack of a proper vocabulary of English words I can't tell if the word stood is even English. Back to school for me. :D

By the way, what do you think the song is generally about? Why does nobody love them?

In some dialects you can say stood instead of standing, sat instead of sitting etc. It's a part of the dialect and therefore correct. It's all about register. Stood instead of standing would not be proper use in academic writing but in a pop song, go for it! :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom