No more Mr. Jackpots

That picture reminds me though. Of a story. Maybe I should vocaroo it.
I just remembered that about 20 years ago I got hired at Kmart. Sat in the lunchroom; watched the training videos and filled out the paperwork. Put the red smock on and went up front to the registers to learn how to ring and I was getting trained by this chick who looked like she had probably been captain of the cheerleader squad a few years earlier. She started walking me through all the basics and a customer started coming toward us with a cart full of crap. The cashier turned to me and said, "now, you have to remember to SMILE at each and every customer, even if you don't feel like it. Is that gonna be a problem?" And I said, "yeah." Then I took my smock off, placed it on the register, and left. The end.

I just remembered that about 20 years ago I got hired at Kmart. Sat in the lunchroom; watched the training videos and filled out the paperwork. Put the red smock on and went up front to the registers to learn how to ring and I was getting trained by this chick who looked like she had probably been captain of the cheerleader squad a few years earlier. She started walking me through all the basics and a customer started coming toward us with a cart full of crap. The cashier turned to me and said, "now, you have to remember to SMILE at each and every customer, even if you don't feel like it. Is that gonna be a problem?" And I said, "yeah." Then I took my smock off, placed it on the register, and left. The end.
I would have fired you if I was her. Like, "you can't quit! You're fired!"

K-Mart does suck though and even then it meant poor quality. I was lucky not to have to wear K-Mart clothes but kids who did would be teased for it. I think their shoes were called Trax.
At the time CD walkmans with skip control were some James Bond shit. You could walk around with your CD playing and the reader had a memory to hold 15 seconds or whatever. So one day after work I went to Target and looked at the electronics. They had the ones with 30 or 45 second skip control and they were about $10 less than ours.
I got an employee discount and I hated to spend money there but I bought a Pink Floyd CD. Then one day I bought a Snoop Dogg CD and it was the motherf***ing edited version! It didn't even say. So you know what they did? Whenever he would say "cuss words" they would have a gunshot sound instead! Like that's not offensive. lol Don't say "weed" or "f***" but having kids listen to a CD with hundreds of gunshots ringing out at random times is alright! It was a terrible CD anyway but still.

K-Mart does suck though and even then it meant poor quality. I was lucky not to have to wear K-Mart clothes but kids who did would be teased for it. I think their shoes were called Trax.
At the time CD walkmans with skip control were some James Bond shit. You could walk around with your CD playing and the reader had a memory to hold 15 seconds or whatever. So one day after work I went to Target and looked at the electronics. They had the ones with 30 or 45 second skip control and they were about $10 less than ours.
I got an employee discount and I hated to spend money there but I bought a Pink Floyd CD. Then one day I bought a Snoop Dogg CD and it was the motherf***ing edited version! It didn't even say. So you know what they did? Whenever he would say "cuss words" they would have a gunshot sound instead! Like that's not offensive. lol Don't say "weed" or "f***" but having kids listen to a CD with hundreds of gunshots ringing out at random times is alright! It was a terrible CD anyway but still.
Hahahahahaha. Jesus. I assume we are roughly the same age...I've never heard of exclusive censored edits with gunshot sounds masking swear words. That's pretty great.

I always hated CD Walkmans though. They'd blow through the batteries and ALWAYS skipped, regardless of the brand.

We actually didn't start getting Targets up her until maybe, I don't know...20 years ago? 25? The K-mart here is now defunct (I think) but it thrived for a long time. It was a Venture before that. Actually, when I frequented it as a kid/early teen it was probably still Venture. This was maybe the late 80s.

But my Grandmother lived not too far away, in an Illinois town called Dolton and she had a K-mart by her and I'd always go visit her and that was HER place to go, man. After my grandfather died we'd taxi there (she couldn't drive and I was too young) and we'd go out to lunch afterward. I have a lot of good memories of K-mart and those days with her.

That's cool. I used to a couple of places like that with my grandmother. One was Grant's and another was Thrifty's. I think they still have Thrifty's. We would have lunch at Grant's. It was like a small department store with a cafe, like Woolworth's. And then Thrifty's was a drugstore like CVS, but they sold records so I could sometimes get a 45 or an album.

o_O

WTF Fake Cham? How long have you been working at the Kmart??? 30 years,back to the crackedpots era???:(
You got an employee discount at Target while donning the Kmart vest???o_O
the CD you bought at Target with the Kmart employee discount:unsure:
had gunshot noises instead of cuss words???:mad:

a lot of drama FC:drama:

o_O

WTF Fake Cham? How long have you been working at the Kmart??? 30 years,back to the crackedpots era???:(

Veeg you've been missing in action for too long. Get back on the horse.

o_O

You haven't even heard the best of it.

Back
Top Bottom