Official reviews of 'Spent the Day in Bed'

Stephen Street (in a tweet)
Got to say, I really like the new #morrissey single! Good work all involved

Stuart Maconie 6 Music
(comment after playing the song on his show)
“I absolutely loved that. It’s becoming, you know, hugely unfashionable to say you like anything that Moz does but that is great. “

Daily Telegraph – “Morrissey's new single, Spent The Day in Bed, shows we should be excited about his next album. Spent The Day in Bed was unveiled this morning on BBC 6 Music. It boasted a vintage Morrissey construction in its flowing, easygoing melody over an urgent rhythm section, although with a fresh energy to the arrangement. There was no sense of reaching back towards the sparkling indie guitars of The Smiths. Instead, this single was constructed around a fast, almost Baroque keyboard line and pyschedelic rhythm guitar, with Morrissey casually bossing the vocal line.

Morrissey recalled Philip Larkin through tongue-in-cheek attention to the humdrum details of ordinary lives. But the iconic singer revelled in the joys of taking a sneaky duvet day and used it as a springboard to address a bigger point with a chorus that advises all his “friends” to switch off from our world of incessant news: “The news contrives to frighten you / To make you feel small and alone / To make you feel that your mind isn't your own.”

All of this is delivered with typical bluff northern charm, carrying on to a coda constructed from recurring Morrissey motifs evoking the dreary commuter existence you might escape by staying under the covers: “no bus, no boss, no rain, no train.” It is a delightful and funny, philosophical little gem that bodes well for his return.

Morrissey has been recording in Ennio Morricone's studio in Rome Last week, at the Mercury Awards, I ran into a record executive who helped set it up, and he was raving about it. He called it the best solo album of Morrissey's career. That has got to be worth getting out of bed for.”
www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/morrisseys-new-single-spent-day-bed-shows-should-excited-next/

The Times – “The new single is funny, maudlin, slightly ridiculous and has the kind of rebellious outsider spirit that made us fall for him in the first place.

Well this is a surprise. Morrissey has spent a decade doing everything he could to denigrate his once impeccable legacy: using much of his autobiography to settle petty scores with a high-court judge; writing an unreadably pretentious novel; and burning his bridges at one record company after another. After that, nobody could reasonably expect him to come back with a half-decent song. Yet here he is with Spent the Day in Bed, which is funny, maudlin, slightly ridiculous and imbued with the kind of rebellious outsider spirit that made us fall for him in the first place. It has a pretty good tune too.

Beginning with a delicate, almost baroque electronic piano and a handful of squeaky retro-futuristic synthesizer bleeps, Morrissey makes the case for…” (rest of review behind the paywall)
www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pop-review-morrissey-spent-the-day-in-bed-dvxdfldhj

The Guardian - Backed by chirpy organ and strummed guitars, it’s a typically existentialist, Eeyoreish song from the former Smiths singer, in which he rejects the “emasculation” and “castration” of the rat race, instead recommending that you stay in bed and ignore the news, “because the news contrives to frighten you / to make you feel small and alone / to make you feel that your mind isn’t your own”.
www.theguardian.com/music/2017/sep/19/morrissey-new-single-spent-the-day-in-bed

Please add any more to this thread.

Last edited:
I suggest you seek therapy!

But he doesn't have to seek far and get that therapy for free by listening to " Spent The Day In Bed".
I wonder if Moz considered to use a "d" in the word "Spent".
I consider him to be now in his recalcitrant therapist phase.
To some extent he always was, innit? :D

No, this song was a filler on YOR: repeating several times in a row the title of a song in a chorus doesn't make a good chorus. The intro is ugly.

One day good bye will be farewell had the potential of being a single: but it was reminiscent of ''Your arsenal" - era and "Irish Blood..." which is probably why it didn't make it.
So there's two of us who like ODGWBF?

Four. I just posted it in the listening thread a couple of days ago. Love the drums. I've been listening to my morrissey albums lately gearing up for low in high school. Yor was a good one. It tappers off towards the end but it's got some good lines and songs in there. I also like a lot of uptempo music and albums no. Morrissey related and yor keeps up the pace more so than any morrissey album

Reviewed on BBC 6music show ~ Steve Lamacq's 'Radio 1 Roundtable' ~

to celebrate five decades of Radio1, the most unwell-looking man in Great Britain is joined by former presenters Colin Murray, the most annoying Ulster man in history (and that is saying something), Oo-Gary-Davies, still young, free & single?, and current mid-morning nobody's child Clara Amfo ~

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b094n78c#play

Another...HIT?

*Newsflash ~ OO-Gary-Davies wasn't a superfan of The Smiths...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b094n78c#play

I wonder if Moz considered to use a "d" in the word "Spent".

I presumed it was a double entendre regarding jism: ie - "I am spent." The line about "I am laid' certainly supports a saucy reading of the song.

Carry On style sexual innuendo is Morrissey's bread and butter - see also "I'm laying here wide to receive" and a million other knowingly sexual lines. Basically - it's all filth.

I'd like to SWAP that 'review' by Mr STREET above for :

GenevaRob72
Woke up to this gem this morning...I couldn't think of a better way to start your day than to a new Morrissey song. We are all so blessed to still be receiving new music from Morrissey.

Coypop
The king returns as Europe burns

Aviadmei
HE IS A GENIUS!!!! HE IS THE OXYGEN IN MY LUNGS, AND THE LIGHT IN MY EYES. ALWAYS.

Gx2music
Stop watching the (fake) news. Some darn good advice from Moz.

Eduardo Chirinos
Roxy Music's keyboard

TBBMusicBlog
The kid winks, moved the axe. Ha! The song is fantastic. Only Morrissey would kick off a new record w/ a single celebrating doing nothing. Fun.

Louie Macias
Morrissey never disappoints....love it

Sar_Gar
I bet the rest of the album is even better. I'll be waiting in my bed...

Pinkity Pink
I am so happy for morrissey . "Hear my voice In your head and think of me kindly" springs to mind alongside so much much more wonderful stuff . Yes to morrissey cheeky cute smile . It's a beautiful thing . Just one thing, I don't like the reminders of royalty ...

Anto L.
Morrissey: You f***ing did it again, great song.

Hazard
Superb. AND HOME IS A QUESTION MARK !

That's enough for a Number One single these days...

Yep.
And that's why I don't think Moz is bothered very much about it anymore too.
Or should he re-release Farewell as a single to get a number one spot? In the vinyl charts?

By the way, he had the number one spot for at least a week with a single quite recently (The Smiths) in the vinyl charts, beating Bowie.
Think it was the RSD single.
Must have pleased him immensely, for what it's worth. :rolleyes:

I presumed it was a double entendre regarding jism: ie - "I am spent." The line about "I am laid' certainly supports a saucy reading of the song.

Carry On style sexual innuendo is Morrissey's bread and butter - see also "I'm laying here wide to receive" and a million other knowingly sexual lines. Basically - it's all filth.

Now why do you say it's all filth?
What's wrong with some double entendre and Carry On style sexual innuendo if it's done tongue in cheek, and funny, as I think it is?
By the way, I like your insights but don't understand the " it's all filth " comment.

I'd like to SWAP that 'review' by Mr STREET above for :

GenevaRob72
Woke up to this gem this morning...I couldn't think of a better way to start your day than to a new Morrissey song. We are all so blessed to still be receiving new music from Morrissey.

Coypop
The king returns as Europe burns

Aviadmei
HE IS A GENIUS!!!! HE IS THE OXYGEN IN MY LUNGS, AND THE LIGHT IN MY EYES. ALWAYS.

Gx2music
Stop watching the (fake) news. Some darn good advice from Moz.

Eduardo Chirinos
Roxy Music's keyboard

TBBMusicBlog
The kid winks, moved the axe. Ha! The song is fantastic. Only Morrissey would kick off a new record w/ a single celebrating doing nothing. Fun.

Louie Macias
Morrissey never disappoints....love it

Sar_Gar
I bet the rest of the album is even better. I'll be waiting in my bed...

Pinkity Pink
I am so happy for morrissey . "Hear my voice In your head and think of me kindly" springs to mind alongside so much much more wonderful stuff . Yes to morrissey cheeky cute smile . It's a beautiful thing . Just one thing, I don't like the reminders of royalty ...

Anto L.
Morrissey: You f***ing did it again, great song.

Hazard
Superb. AND HOME IS A QUESTION MARK !

Is it sad that I've listened to the song so many times that I know these are the YouTube comments and

Now why do you say it's all filth?
What's wrong with some double entendre and Carry On style sexual innuendo if it's done tongue in cheek, and funny, as I think it is?
By the way, I like your insights but don't understand the " it's all filth " comment.

Perhaps it's just me, but í didn't take 'filth' to be used in a pejorative sense there. 'It's all filth' was being employed in..it's...non-pejorative...sense.

OK, it is probably just me. i'll just go now.

Perhaps it's just me, but í didn't take 'filth' to be used in a pejorative sense there. 'It's all filth' was being employed in..it's...non-pejorative...sense.

OK, it is probably just me. i'll just go now.

No, no Joe! Don't go.
It is probably due to the fact English isn't my first language and some of the subtle meaning in some of the sayings and expressions in it, escapes me.
So in the above comment, " it's all filth " I guess I missed that ironic undertone.
Well, basically it's not such a disaster.
Learning all the time, and that, at my age!
OAP rules! Ha.

'The chant that ends “Spent the Day in Bed” is Morrissey’s most subversive since “Panic’s” still controversial “Hang the DJ!”

Yes, I liked that one too.
But some of the supposed influences and speculations seem a bit far fetched.
And his mentioning of "Oblomov" as a novel by Tjechov is a mistake and I can't imagine he read it, as it was written by Gontsjarov.
It has a sofa on the cover. :p

Finally listened. I was waiting for a quiet moment alone. First reaction is I do not like it. :paranoid::paranoid: I'm feeling bummed now. I hated the music. Maybe I'm missing something. It sounded like videogame music. :squiffy: Perhaps it will grow on me (happened many times with Morrissey) . The lyrics are neither subtle or cleaver or funny...maybe there are better songs on the album. Morrissey doesn't always pick the best songs as singles or even album tracks (we all kwow the examples;))

Finally listened. I was waiting for a quiet moment alone. First reaction is I do not like it. :paranoid::paranoid: I'm feeling bummed now. I hated the music. Maybe I'm missing something. It sounded like videogame music. :squiffy: Perhaps it will grow on me (happened many times with Morrissey) . The lyrics are neither subtle or cleaver or funny...maybe there are better songs on the album. Morrissey doesn't always pick the best songs as singles or even album tracks (we all kwow the examples;))

I found some of the lines funny. The you can please yourself one was funny as well as the I'm not my type along with a couple of others

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom