Official reviews of 'Spent the Day in Bed'

Stephen Street (in a tweet)
Got to say, I really like the new #morrissey single! Good work all involved

Stuart Maconie 6 Music
(comment after playing the song on his show)
“I absolutely loved that. It’s becoming, you know, hugely unfashionable to say you like anything that Moz does but that is great. “

Daily Telegraph – “Morrissey's new single, Spent The Day in Bed, shows we should be excited about his next album. Spent The Day in Bed was unveiled this morning on BBC 6 Music. It boasted a vintage Morrissey construction in its flowing, easygoing melody over an urgent rhythm section, although with a fresh energy to the arrangement. There was no sense of reaching back towards the sparkling indie guitars of The Smiths. Instead, this single was constructed around a fast, almost Baroque keyboard line and pyschedelic rhythm guitar, with Morrissey casually bossing the vocal line.

Morrissey recalled Philip Larkin through tongue-in-cheek attention to the humdrum details of ordinary lives. But the iconic singer revelled in the joys of taking a sneaky duvet day and used it as a springboard to address a bigger point with a chorus that advises all his “friends” to switch off from our world of incessant news: “The news contrives to frighten you / To make you feel small and alone / To make you feel that your mind isn't your own.”

All of this is delivered with typical bluff northern charm, carrying on to a coda constructed from recurring Morrissey motifs evoking the dreary commuter existence you might escape by staying under the covers: “no bus, no boss, no rain, no train.” It is a delightful and funny, philosophical little gem that bodes well for his return.

Morrissey has been recording in Ennio Morricone's studio in Rome Last week, at the Mercury Awards, I ran into a record executive who helped set it up, and he was raving about it. He called it the best solo album of Morrissey's career. That has got to be worth getting out of bed for.”
www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/morrisseys-new-single-spent-day-bed-shows-should-excited-next/

The Times – “The new single is funny, maudlin, slightly ridiculous and has the kind of rebellious outsider spirit that made us fall for him in the first place.

Well this is a surprise. Morrissey has spent a decade doing everything he could to denigrate his once impeccable legacy: using much of his autobiography to settle petty scores with a high-court judge; writing an unreadably pretentious novel; and burning his bridges at one record company after another. After that, nobody could reasonably expect him to come back with a half-decent song. Yet here he is with Spent the Day in Bed, which is funny, maudlin, slightly ridiculous and imbued with the kind of rebellious outsider spirit that made us fall for him in the first place. It has a pretty good tune too.

Beginning with a delicate, almost baroque electronic piano and a handful of squeaky retro-futuristic synthesizer bleeps, Morrissey makes the case for…” (rest of review behind the paywall)
www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pop-review-morrissey-spent-the-day-in-bed-dvxdfldhj

The Guardian - Backed by chirpy organ and strummed guitars, it’s a typically existentialist, Eeyoreish song from the former Smiths singer, in which he rejects the “emasculation” and “castration” of the rat race, instead recommending that you stay in bed and ignore the news, “because the news contrives to frighten you / to make you feel small and alone / to make you feel that your mind isn’t your own”.
www.theguardian.com/music/2017/sep/19/morrissey-new-single-spent-the-day-in-bed

Please add any more to this thread.

Last edited:
I found some of the lines funny. The you can please yourself one was funny as well as the I'm not my type along with a couple of others
Those are funny lines. I caught that on the next couple of listens.The intro threw me off. I'm hoping it will grow on me but at best it's probably so so. It's still nice that it got good reviews even if I dont agree.

Those are funny lines. I caught that on the next couple of listens.The intro threw me off. I'm hoping it will grow on me but at best it's probably so so. It's still nice that it got good reviews even if I dont agree.

I like it a little more than you but I to was thrown off the first time. I think I laughed out and just said what? to myself. I think it gets better after a few listens and you get used to hearing morrissey and old synth sounds paired together. I like the music in the chorus myself. I also kinda think it funny that ironically this old keyboard sound is the most modern and in step with current music trends he's ever been

Stereogum listed it as their #3 song of the week.

3. Morrissey – “Spent The Day In Bed”

“Could life ever be sane again?” Morrissey asked that question in 1986, in a song called “Panic,” which lambasted the media for ignoring the Chernobyl disaster and instead focusing on empty pop frivolity. In 2017, though, the press presents every news item as if it were a nuclear meltdown. The effect is identical: The public has no f***ing idea what’s going on, what’s real, what’s worthy of attention. Everything is different, but nothing has changed. Morrissey still gets it. When he says “Stop watching the news,” he’s still telling you to hang the DJ. When he says “The news contrives to frighten you,” he’s still telling you that all the shit they’re constantly repeating says nothing to you about your life. When he tells you to “Spend the day in bed,” he’s still saying there’s panic in the streets. But there’s peace in the sheets. “Could life ever be sane again?” That depends on who you’re listening to. I listen to Morrissey. –Michael

Sweet.

What they said:

"Could life ever be sane again?” Morrissey asked that question in 1986, in a song called “Panic,” which lambasted the media for ignoring the Chernobyl disaster and instead focusing on empty pop frivolity. In 2017, though, the press presents every news item as if it were a nuclear meltdown. The effect is identical: The public has no f***ing idea what’s going on, what’s real, what’s worthy of attention. Everything is different, but nothing has changed. Morrissey still gets it. When he says “Stop watching the news,” he’s still telling you to hang the DJ. When he says “The news contrives to frighten you,” he’s still telling you that all the shit they’re constantly repeating says nothing to you about your life. When he tells you to “Spend the day in bed,” he’s still saying there’s panic in the streets. But there’s peace in the sheets. “Could life ever be sane again?” That depends on who you’re listening to. I listen to Morrissey. –Michael

“Could life ever be sane again?” Morrissey asked that question in 1986, in a song called “Panic,” which lambasted the media for ignoring the Chernobyl disaster and instead focusing on empty pop frivolity. In 2017, though, the press presents every news item as if it were a nuclear meltdown. The effect is identical: The public has no f***ing idea what’s going on, what’s real, what’s worthy of attention. Everything is different, but nothing has changed. Morrissey still gets it. When he says “Stop watching the news,” he’s still telling you to hang the DJ. When he says “The news contrives to frighten you,” he’s still telling you that all the shit they’re constantly repeating says nothing to you about your life. When he tells you to “Spend the day in bed,” he’s still saying there’s panic in the streets. But there’s peace in the sheets. “Could life ever be sane again?” That depends on who you’re listening to. I listen to Morrissey. –Michael

Michael: I do love a good read. Not wanting to rain upon your parade, but, the title of this fabulous seven-incher is called SPENT.... So, therefore, there is no telling of anyone to actually SPEND a day in bed. Infact, later, listeners are advised they can please themselves what they do. I just wanted to point that out.

Factmag:
Singles Club: Morrissey’s try-hard apathy wears thin on ‘Spent the Day In Bed’

"After Morrissey declaring Brexit “magnificent”, Morrissey selling offensive T-shirts and Morrissey likening slaughterhouses to Nazi concentration camps, it’s unsurprising that Morrissey is now writing lyrics that sound like they were inspired by long nights spent watching YouTube conspiracy vlogs. There’s about 20 seconds of this song that reminds you of the talent that Morrissey used to be, but it’s drowned out by unnecessarily glossy production and tone-deaf social commentary."

http://www.factmag.com/2017/09/26/singles-club-morrissey-marilyn-manson-miley-cyrus/

Regards,
FWD.

Okay there's five of us. Don't tell anyone else. Next thing you'll be telling me there's more than one of us that likes On The Streets I Ran.

In fact, there is.
Me.
It's a good, energetic song for live shows and great lyrics.
Never understood the ctritisim. :thumb:

But he didn't sing Spend the day in bed. As some sort of advise or command.
He just sang he did Spent the day in bed himself and why.
Could it be he touches on some feelings and emotions many people have? (Not saying universal)
And in a nice, somewhat throw away, melancholic but also funny way?
I like the intro, simple, catchy, funny and that old Moog synthesizer (?) sound.

I find it a catchy tune, very radio-friendly and you never know how many people hearing it saying, f*** me, he's right.
To hell with it all, I will spend my day in bed.
Maybe they want to have it, some way or the other or they wait for the album as it is a nice appetizer and promises more. :thumb:

Michael: I do love a good read. Not wanting to rain upon your parade, but, the title of this fabulous seven-incher is called SPENT.... So, therefore, there is no telling of anyone to actually SPEND a day in bed. Infact, later, listeners are advised they can please themselves what they do. I just wanted to point that out.

This.
You beat me to it. :thumb:

Try hard apathy. :rolleyes:
Yeah, sure.
The moment you try hard it can't be apathy anymore, innit?

Write boring reviews. That is apathy even without trying (hard).
There is not even one critical, insightful or funny insight here.
Even a very hateful or condemning review could have some worth but no. Not here.
Boring! Yawn. :sleeping:

Two other 'reviews' of Spent the Day in Bed:

Julian Casablancas of The Strokes, via his Vevo account on Youtube, said:

"Everything Morrissey does is Godlike and when my band first started off Morrissey came to see us... Best day ever...

"Jules - The Strokes"

Mike Joyce via Twitter said:

"Hmmm? Na! I'll be playing M's new single though, it's ace."

Two other 'reviews' of Spent the Day in Bed:

Julian Casablancas of The Strokes, via his Vevo account on Youtube, said:

"Everything Morrissey does is Godlike and when my band first started off Morrissey came to see us... Best day ever...

"Jules - The Strokes"

Mike Joyce via Twitter said:

"Hmmm? Na! I'll be playing M's new single though, it's ace."

Despite whatever went on after the Smiths split I do have great respect for Mike Joyce. He could easily be defensive and dismissive of everything Moz does but he has been very fare and complementary over the years.

Despite whatever went on after the Smiths split I do have great respect for Mike Joyce. He could easily be defensive and dismissive of everything Moz does but he has been very fare and complementary over the years.

unfortunately, M's coattails are heavily over populated.

LOL I recall the Strokes and Casablancas making fun of Moz because he was gay. Moz was sitting at some table with a couple of beards and asked the Strokes to come hang but Casablancas didn't want to look gay. He made the comment that hot chicks love to sit with gay dudes.

https://themusicalhype.com/2017/09/28/morrissey-spent-the-day-in-bed-track-review/

“Spent the Day in Bed” features an excellent palette of sounds, including keyboards, acoustic guitars, and various synths and sound effects. Morrissey gives a solid vocal performance, offering clear and poised vocals, yet sounding deeply invested into the song. Thematically, he seems to be focused on taking care of himself, and avoiding the power and effect of the media.
All in all, Morrissey nails it with “Spent the Day in Bed.” He delivers a strong vocal performance, and the overall sound of the record is different, yet intriguing. The messaging is thought-provoking. There are no glaring cons to be found here. Low in High School, hence, is off to a blazing start."

And a mini review in Q magazine:
'this highlight of Moz's new album sees him singing the benefits of not getting out of bed over sprightly, almost funky, electric pianos'.

I like the message of this song and especially the plea for people to be good to themselves for once. The world is full of stress and absolutely mad and people want to do so many things they forget who they are and what really matters.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom