"Radiohead Reveal Why They Decided To Follow In Morrissey’s Footsteps" - Alternative Nation

Radiohead Reveal Why They Decided To Follow In Morrissey’s Footsteps - Alternative Nation

Excerpt:

Radiohead bassist Colin Greenwood decided why the band decided to record in the same unique studio that Morrissey had in the past for their album A Moon Shaped Pool in a new BBC1 radio interview. Alternative Nation transcribed his comments.

“A lot of it has to do with finding time with our producer Nigel. We like to try to go somewhere really cool, it’s like a gang thing, where you sort of get away from the home life. We found this really cool place, Nigel did, called La Fabrique down in France, where Morrissey recorded.”

He added, “It’s like an old farm and stuff, it’s got a massive vinyl collection, like 80,000 records, they figured it would take hundreds of years to record. The studio is full of old vinyl from this famous French disc jockey. So that’s the catalyst, a chance to go in and have an adventure.”

As far as I know WPINOYB was recorded there.
Maybe other albums or songs too?
And, was it coincidence they went there or did Radiohead knew WPINOYB and liked it so much they wanted to record there too?
I'd be interested to know in how that idyllic studio for Moz contributed to the great music on WPINOYB.
Was Moz, and his musicians, going through that great vinyl collection and which minor or major influences are there to be heard on WPINOYB? It seems somehow very likely he would do that.
Thanks for sharing

think its where mozz felt most relaxed and they have a good chef as well.

PS..has anybody heard how Gustavo is.

Not to annoy any rabid Radiohead fans but although i like Radiohead i never have a clue what the singer is singing. At least Moz enunciates his words and is very clear.

Not to annoy any rabid Radiohead fans but although i like Radiohead i never have a clue what the singer is singing. At least Moz enunciates his words and is very clear.

I can't see why else you'd post that, nor use the vaguely insulting term rabid, unless you wanted to annoy.

But since you have the internet, why haven't you just Googled the lyrics?

I love both Moz and Radiohead but I could never work out, for example 'young married couple in debt ever felt had?' on my own.

As far as I know WPINOYB was recorded there.
Maybe other albums or songs too?
And, was it coincidence they went there or did Radiohead knew WPINOYB and liked it so much they wanted to record there too?
I'd be interested to know in how that idyllic studio for Moz contributed to the great music on WPINOYB.
Was Moz, and his musicians, going through that great vinyl collection and which minor or major influences are there to be heard on WPINOYB? It seems somehow very likely he would do that.
Thanks for sharing

This quote misses out Colin saying 'and Nick Cave too' and other such lines that make it clear the Moz mention was just a tidbit, not the main reason they went there.

It's nice, and I'm sure Radiohead respect Morrissey, but hearing the actual audio it was a tiny almost throwaway mention.

They're one of those bands that while I respect them, and believe they've earned their success, I'm nonplussed and impartial. Because of the mumbly keening thing that Thom Yorke does.

look at that as a good thing. ;)

'they're saving their own skins by
ruining people's lives
bad, bad people on the rise
Young married couple in debt
- ever felt had?
on a government scheme
designed to kill your dream
oh mum, oh dad
once poor - always poor '

young married couple with hopes dreams of happiness realize the odds are stacked against them, maybe working class 'always poor' line with the government against anyone being truly happy no matter how hard they try,etc... maybe.

I understand what it means,
I couldn't originally understand what Moz was singing until I looked it up.

Not what he was singing about... I just wasn't hearing anything intelligible in that line

Not what he was singing about... I just wasn't hearing anything intelligible in that line

I would add ''in the midst of life we're all in debt etc''

Uhhhh ok they're recording the same place Morrissey did, who the hell cares? I like Radiohead but it doesnt it matter where they record at as long as they put out a good product. Same thing for Morrissey as long as the products good. If the place actually mattered how the product came out and Morrissey made wpinoyb there then no one should ever record there because that album was sub standard.

Back in my day we'd just read the lyrics in the liner notes.

Then again, we actually bought the albums.

the kids buy 'vinyls' these days. :rolleyes:

Yeah but do they read the liner notes? :squiffy:
Does the word lyric mean anything to them at all? o_O
Let alone the meaning of its words.
Let's just hope they can read any of these strange characters.
And understand.
I am doubtful, but still hopeful.

I pray to god it's not something cool to do vinyl but also meaningful and that the kids will get into it that much it really becomes important in their lives. Cause music is something to be like that and to be of a lifetime pleasure and enjoyment.
That is vinyl.

Yeah but do they read the liner notes? :squiffy:
Does the word lyric mean anything to them at all? o_O
Let alone the meaning of its words.
Let's just hope they can read any of these strange characters.
And understand.
I am doubtful, but still hopeful.

I pray to god it's not something cool to do vinyl but also meaningful and that the kids will get into it that much it really becomes important in their lives. Cause music is something to be like that and to be of a lifetime pleasure and enjoyment.
That is vinyl.

agree,though it's complicated. Listening to music for me is like going to church, I mean if they make the time to do so, and through love/attention surrender to the pleasure of the noise then I don't see why a younger generation can't enjoy it as much as the generations that have gone before. My concern is... is new 'music' worth listening to?,which is where I feel they may lose, then again, I guess they won't miss what they never had. I'm sure there was a time when some complained about wax cylinders saying 'why we need that for? what's wrong with live music and piano rolls !?' :lbf:

The older generation have tried, sighed & died
Which pushes me to their place in the queue

Round, rhythm goes round
Round, round rhythm of life goes round
Round, the rhythm goes round....

agree,though it's complicated. Listening to music for me is like going to church, I mean if they make the time to do so, and through love/attention surrender to the pleasure of the noise then I don't see why a younger generation can't enjoy it as much as the generations that have gone before. My concern is... is new 'music' worth listening to?,which is where I feel they may lose, then again, I guess they won't miss what they never had. I'm sure there was a time when some complained about wax cylinders saying 'why we need that for? what's wrong with live music and piano rolls !?' :lbf:

The older generation have tried, sighed & died
Which pushes me to their place in the queue

Round, rhythm goes round
Round, round rhythm of life goes round
Round, the rhythm goes round....

Agree completely.
Like your comparison by going to the church. Voluntarily I mean.
As you. And I said I was still hopeful. For them. Not me.
As I can see my place in that queue and I realized when Moz sang about it.
Cheers Ketamine Sun.
Love you.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom